Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
You might look into renting one for a trip or two to get a feel for what you'd like and if it will be a good fit. There are websites set up to rent from current owners. It's not cheap, but a lot cheaper than buying the wrong one! This is my strategy to try to convert DH to a semi-camper!
Thanks. That is a good idea.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to hijack the thread but just another story. DH and I looked at vans, RV and finally decided on a used Basecamp Airstream trailer that we purchased end of 2018. DH just completed some updates (new floor, sink, refrig, shower). We can't wait to go ! We think we'll like being able to unhook at a campsite and see local sites.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
Not to hijack the thread but just another story. DH and I looked at vans, RV and finally decided on a used Basecamp Airstream trailer that we purchased end of 2018. DH just completed some updates (new floor, sink, refrig, shower). We can't wait to go ! We think we'll like being able to unhook at a campsite and see local sites.
Thanks. I wish I was as handy as your DH, but I'm not. Which is something else to consider...
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are RVers with a 36' fifth wheel towed by a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Ours is more of a haul it to Florida and stay in a RV park for the winter rig. If we wanted to travel far and wide, a motorized RV or vehicle would be preferred.

I previously had a minivan when our daughter was young, and later had a high top E150 conversion bed when we were traveling extensively. My problem is the Class B's and conversion vans are expensive and they generally don't get acceptable fuel mileage.

For your use, one of the minivans would be preferable. They have all the room to take virtually everything you need, and they're very comfortable. Best thing is that a 1-2 year old minivan can be purchased at a very attractive price. And all minivans on the retail market are great vehicles.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We currently have a Ford E150. We bought it used, a cargo van with low miles, which is rather rare. DH built removable platforms for it so we can have either a full-sized bed or two twin-sized beds with an aisle between them. Added some drawers with a small table on top and viola! sports-and-road-trip camping van!

The van is so practical because it's a camper, a daily driver, and we can haul things in it, too. All of our windsurfing gear fits inside under the platforms, and when we go kayaking or biking around here, the boats or bikes fit inside.

Our dream van is the Nissan NV400, which, much to our dismay, is sold only in Europe.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalker View Post
How do you find a place to charge it at? Just curious.
The built-in navigation plans out the trip using Tesla Superchargers. Although I prefer an online planner for better optimization. There's enough Superchargers now to go almost anywhere using them. Lots of other slow chargers around, but those are primarily for overnight charging.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, van, vehicle