Join Early Retirement Today

Trip stops along 65 & 75
Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Trip stops along 65 & 75

I'm planning a trip along 65 ( through the States of: Indiana, KY, TN) and
Then along 24 & 75 ( Georgia, bit of FL).

I'm looking for some things that could consume 1-4 hours as a tourist stop in the travel to break up the trip.

I could also be tempted to go off the trail if something was worth visiting.

This would be for adults.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Right through the hearts of Louisville and Nashville--what type of things you interested in seeing?

If into Corvettes, the National Corvette museum is within a hundred yards or so of the highway in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

If into the Space Program, the Space and Rocket Center/museum is in Huntsville, Alabama, just a very short jaunt off onto 565...

Edited to add Huntsville....
Old 04-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Here are a couple of sites that may give you ideas.
RoadTrip America
https://roadtrippers.com

I've used the latter and have sometimes found stuff worth stopping for.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Bourbon trail in Kentucky if that interests you. A couple of the places are just off I-65, a 2-3 more are not far out of the way, and the rest of more toward Frankfort and Lexington.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #5

The Falls of the Ohio is kind of cool if you like fossils. Huge beds of exposed fossils. Good bird watching too. Something a little different.

Falls of the Ohio State Park
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

In addition to the Corvette Museum, the Corvette Plant used to offer tours of the production, probably still does and would be worth checking out.

Maker's Mark and other Bourbon distilleries are definitely worth the detour.

If you are enjoy National Parks you might stop at Mammoth Cave.

Downtown Nashville is worth a stop, especially in the evening if you enjoy live music.
Empresario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Oh, forgot: About 25 minutes east of 65, in Nashville: Andrew Jackson's estate/mansion, the Hermitage. (I need to go there; max 15 minutes surface streets from my house, and I hear great things. But, you tend not to explore where you live....)

You'll also pass by James K. Polk's home south of Nashville, if you are really into dead presidents....
Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have seen Mammoth Cave years ago, and want to take DW there in another trip as its a pretty area to spend a few days at. They have camping and lodging there.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have seen Mammoth Cave years ago, and want to take DW there in another trip as its a pretty area to spend a few days at. They have camping and lodging there.
We're headed to Mammoth Caves for a few days this summer on our way to Toronto. We found a nice Airbnb place in Bowling Green KY just 20-30 minutes from the caves.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hands down the big deal on this route is Mammoth Cave.

Ha
Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Visit the Museum of Aviation just outside of Robins AFB, GA. Twenty miles south of Macon off Exit 145 of I-75. It's FREE.

https://www.museumofaviation.org/
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empresario View Post
In addition to the Corvette Museum, the Corvette Plant used to offer tours of the production, probably still does and would be worth checking out.

Maker's Mark and other Bourbon distilleries are definitely worth the detour.

If you are enjoy National Parks you might stop at Mammoth Cave.

Downtown Nashville is worth a stop, especially in the evening if you enjoy live music.
+1 for Mammoth Cave. Check when it is open. I also enjoyed Maker's Mark, but it is not right on the way. The Space Center in Huntsville is great, but even further off your route.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

What? Is nobody going to mention Rock City and Ruby Falls just off the path, outside of Chattanooga? I remember seeing the barn roofs with "See Rock City" written in the roof shingles as a kid. Been past there many times and was tempted but just felt too much like the Old Route 66 tourist traps. Would like to hear if anybody has actually been there.

Been to Mammoth Cave and can +1 it too.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
What? Is nobody going to mention Rock City and Ruby Falls just off the path, outside of Chattanooga? I remember seeing the barn roofs with "See Rock City" written in the roof shingles as a kid. Been past there many times and was tempted but just felt too much like the Old Route 66 tourist traps. Would like to hear if anybody has actually been there.

Been to Mammoth Cave and can +1 it too.
Both are nice places and just off I-24 right outside Chattanooga. If you are into Civil War history there are just too many places to mention.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Here are a couple of sites that may give you ideas.
RoadTrip America
https://roadtrippers.com

I've used the latter and have sometimes found stuff worth stopping for.
Just let everyone know, that https://roadtrippers.com site is full of information , much better than mapquest or random googling at showing attractions/sites/etc.
It shows you everything along your route you input so you don't see lots of stuff that is on the opposite side of the State.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a bit off the path (25 miles west of I-75 exit 127 in Georgia) but an interesting visit - Andersonville National Historic Site. Andersonville civil war prison, Andersonville National Cemetery and the National Prisoner of War Museum. Educational - and sobering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders..._Historic_Site
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Re: mammoth cave, you can buy advance tickets for the cave tours online through the National Park Service web site. It's something like $13-14 per tour for the long 2 hour tours. I don't know how fast they fill up, but we were the first ones to book tickets for our July tour dates.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Re: mammoth cave, you can buy advance tickets for the cave tours online through the National Park Service web site. It's something like $13-14 per tour for the long 2 hour tours. I don't know how fast they fill up, but we were the first ones to book tickets for our July tour dates.
Good advice to buy online ahead of time.

A long time ago, in 2001 I drove by there, so I stopped to take a tour that day. They were sold out of the biggest tour.

I stayed at a B&B just outside the park (as the motel in the close by town was a dump), then did the tour the next day.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #19

I was at Mammoth three years ago in April and most tours (they have quite a few different ones) were filling up by lunchtime.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Good advice to buy online ahead of time.

A long time ago, in 2001 I drove by there, so I stopped to take a tour that day. They were sold out of the biggest tour.

I stayed at a B&B just outside the park (as the motel in the close by town was a dump), then did the tour the next day.
That's what we were afraid of so booked WAAAAAY ahead of time as soon as we booked our partially refundable Airbnb stay. Mammoth Cave plus Niagara Falls are our two "must sees" on this road trip and everything else is just a bonus along the way.

Tags
indiana, kentucky, stop, tennesse, tourist