Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree with the CN side being very nice. We did the revolving restaurant. Rather spendy (we had a Groupon, or some equivalent), crowded and food that rated a couple levels below the price point. We made our reservation to be there about 30 minutes before sunset. The views (both day and night) were impressive. For us, it was a nice - one time event while staying on the CN side.

If staying over, the tower hotel (falls view) is quirky but awesome. The Embassy Suites is pandemonium and chaos outside of the rooms (elevator madness, breakfast akin to The Walking Dead).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #42

One thing you might consider is a visit to the Niagara wine region. Tends to be north west of Niagara Falls and includes some very high quality wineries. Nice day trip.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Sorry but that is far to sweeping a generalization and does them a disservice. My sister lives in Niagara Falls, ON and there are some great neighbourhoods in that city, some great amenities and lots to do.

The tackiness you are referring to is generally restricted to the tourist area on Clifton Hill and Lundys Lane. There is a lot more to Niagara and area than just that.
Sweeping generalization for sure. I thought that was what we did here?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Is a passport required for a US citizen to pop over to the Canadian side to see the falls then soon return to the US?
We stayed at hotel in Canada. One morning I went for a run, and took my driver's license with me. I wanted to run over the bridge into the US, and asked the guard if I could get back with just my license. He said No. Based on that I'd bring the passport. We had our passports when we first crossed over to Canada.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recall now driving a rental car from Canada side into the US on Thousand Island Bridge at the other end of Lake Ontario. This must be around the late 90s, because we had our children with us on that trip and I could picture them and their age then.

The female border guard was about to wave us through, and when she saw us having our passports ready said "OK, as you have them out, I might as well look at them". As casual as that! Maybe she was joking.

Things have changed significantly since 9/11.

PS. I also recall looking down from the Thousand Island bridge and telling myself that this was a nice area and I should pay a visit later. I did not do that until the recent RV trip to the region, as described in an earlier post. I was happy to spend some time there. Something for the OP to consider if he has time. If so, taking a boat ride and touring the Boldt Castle is a must.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Another vote to explore the Canadian side and drive the Niagara gorge up to NOTL. Very toni. Don't miss the worlds largest Chestnut trees at the falls. Constant mist has nurtured these slow-growers, comparable to the Oak trees in Louisiana.

I agree with Danmar that the town itself is clearly tacky by Canadian standards. The wine region is second only to the Okanagan Valley of BC. A runner up is Prince Edward County south of Belleville.

So it would be possible to return via Canada and return to upstate New York via one of the St Lawrence bridges. Toronto is an option but don't be intimidated by the traffic. We have many friends and family who live in the city we affectionately call "The Big Smoke".
Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed staying on the Canadian side. Perhaps because we went in the off season - Late October, when the weather was still comfortable but the crowds were non-existent. We did not see anything we considered "tacky" - we enjoy the "amusement park" atmosphere on Clifton Hill, and visiting the hotels and the entertainment provided in the evenings after exploring the falls and associated attractions during the day.

We did like the park on the US side, but not much else to see there. We would walk over from our hotel over the bridge, which has great views. A passport is definitely required to go back and forth.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #48

Agree with all the comments. Needed a passport, stayed on the Canadian side (Falls View Hotel with a direct view of the Falls), visited wineries and Niagra on the Lake, took the Maid of the Mist ride, walked in the tunnels under the falls, etc. Something everyone should see at least once. The falls are truly amazing. This was several but within 5 years ago. Venturing out a bit from our hotel, I still thought parts of it were tacky.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sweeping generalization for sure. I thought that was what we did here?
I thought we were here to help each other but we can all take our own approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I agree with Danmar that the town itself is clearly tacky by Canadian standards.
Again, the TOWN is fine outside of the Clifton Hill/Lundys Lane area. In fact, it is probably better off than most Canadian cities of comparable size because all that touristic money in the local economy has helped secure amenities and growth (as per 6miths posts). Maybe you haven't been there in a while but change has been rapid. Now, if you want decay, drive south for 20 minutes and have a look at Fort Erie. None of the tourists make it there except to look down on it from the Peace Bridge and the difference shows.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Fifty posts and no one can say anything about Scranton?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I recall now driving a rental car from Canada side into the US on Thousand Island Bridge at the other end of Lake Ontario. This must be around the late 90s, because we had our children with us on that trip and I could picture them and their age then.

The female border guard was about to wave us through, and when she saw us having our passports ready said "OK, as you have them out, I might as well look at them". As casual as that! Maybe she was joking.

Things have changed significantly since 9/11.

Things have dramatically changed. We used to ride our bikes and walk back and forth to Niagara Falls, NY over the bridges with no ID at all. At age 15!! I also used to walk and ride across the Bluewater bridge from Sarnia to Pt Huron, Michigan as a teen. The good old days!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
It's only about 220 miles to go before you reach Belleville?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The falls themselves are pretty majestic: power of nature, etc, etc. Definitely wirth seeing IMHO, especially the tunnel behind the falls and getting drenched on the Maid of the Mist. Just ignore all that other touristy crap and go see a play at Niagara on the Lake.
+1

It is awesome to see one great lake empty into another.

Buffalo is near by. I hear they have some good buffalo wings.
Might I recomend Duffs.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The number one rated attraction in Scranton is:

https://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

Never knew it was there. Sounds pretty cool if you like trains and train history. One of the reviews mentioned a gorge in the Lackawanna river too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar...ckawanna_River)

See there's stuff to do in Scranton.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
If you do go to the Canadian side, you may enjoy a drive up to visit Niagara on the Lake.

https://www.niagaraonthelake.com/
+1 We love it there! The wine tours are great too.
kerik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We visited the Niagara Falls area many times, since we traveled from Detroit to Boston to visit family. I agree with all the posts including Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes.
If you are on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, I recommend stopping into Greaves Jams in Niagara on the Lake. They have some delicious nonstandard varieties of jams and jellies. Nice for gifts or yourself.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

As awesome as Niagara Falls are, some of the water was already diverted for hydro power generation. Imagine what the full flow would be.

Now, how about the falls running dry? That would be a sight too, no?

That happened before, when necessitated by a construction project.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #58

Hit the Finger Lakes area vineyards. Beautiful.
The Canadian side is way nicer and safer.
The Maid of the Mist is an awesome experience. I didn't care for the other touristy attractions like Cave of the Winds or the Spanish Car.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #59
Administrator

If you're looking to spend a night in the Finger Lakes, we very much enjoyed staying here -- Finger Lakes Resorts | Luxury Couples Resort | Geneva On The Lake
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Joe Biden.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote