Trying Savannah on for Size

phil1ben

Recycles dryer sheets
56 years old and retiring in December. Kids in college. My wife and I are looking for a southern location to live at (i.e. purchase) between Thanksgiving and mid-March of each year. Florida does not work for us. We spent a few days in Savannah last November and want to try renting for a few weeks to see if that may be the place.

We like the historic district because we want to be in the City. If anyone lives in Savannah or has recently lived in Savannah are there any areas within the historic district that you would suggest/avoid. We will likely rent a VRBO/Homeaway for 2 to 3 weeks to get a better taste of the city. We are in good physical shape and can walk anywhere. We notice a number of places for rent on Jones Street and that seems to be a good location to us but we really do not know only having spent a few days there.

Thanks in advance.

56 years old and retiring in December. Kids in college. My wife and I are looking for a southern location to live at (i.e. purchase) between Thanksgiving and mid-March of each year. Florida does not work for us. We spent a few days in Savannah last November and want to try renting for a few weeks to see if that may be the place.

We like the historic district because we want to be in the City. If anyone lives in Savannah or has recently lived in Savannah are there any areas within the historic district that you would suggest/avoid. We will likely rent a VRBO/Homeaway for 2 to 3 weeks to get a better taste of the city. We are in good physical shape and can walk anywhere. We notice a number of places for rent on Jones Street and that seems to be a good location to us but we really do not know only having spent a few days there.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't lived there myself, but I do have several friends who live there and I visit fairly often (I live in Atlanta). One thing I would caution you about is the crime. There is a significant issue in regards to this, so I would be VERY careful about WHERE you live if you chose Savannah. All of my friends that are there have expressed their concern about this and how it seems like the police aren't curbing it very well. Here is a good start for research.

Savannah GA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

We seriously considered Savannah, but came to the conclusion that it was a little to raw for us. Had we been in our 40's maybe, but not now. Too much crime, and it is a bit random in that you can be walking down a nice street and turn onto another to find it is sketchy. Great place to visit, but not sure about the living full time part.

Our conclusion was that Savannah was a cheaper substitute for Charleston. So if we were to do the urban route: Charleston over Savannah is an easy decision assuming you've the budget to make Charleston work.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I too lived in Atlanta, and often traveled to Savannah and Charleston often on business.

Don't think that it's not cold in Savannah in the winter. You've got to go south of Orlando to truly be warm in Winter.

If you're interested in that part of the country, you might want to visit Beaufort, SC--close by. I always found Savannah just a little quiet to live in permanently.

We chose to leave the Atlanta traffic and move to my parents' ancestral home. We find Alabama real estate prices to be very inexpensive, as are ridiculously cheap property taxes. We have a huge deep water river/lake in our front yard and 2 Robert Trent Jones golf courses on our street. The South just has so many great places to live.

I would second the crime problem in Savannah. It is a very dangerous city.

Beaufort is nice, a small town feeling, if you don't mind that.

I visit Savannah a few times a year and do enjoy it, but am careful on the streets after dark.

Wow, I was not aware of Savannah crime rate reputation. Once while staying in St. Augustine, FL, we made a day trip to Savannah. Of course, we did not notice anything bad during daytime.

I neglected to mention, but an alternative could be Jekyll Island. That is a wonderful place and the development is limited. It's a very relaxed place to live, so if you are looking for excitement...well,not the place. Crime is pretty much non existent since the criminals don't want to pay the toll to get on the island!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Another nice development just outside Savannah is The Landings on Skidaway Island. It's been awhile since I visited but it is an upscale gated and mostly water-locked community, crime didn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited:
Wow, I was not aware of Savannah crime rate reputation. Once while staying in St. Augustine, FL, we made a day trip to Savannah. Of course, we did not notice anything bad during daytime.

I live in St. Augustine. we love it here, OK for year round living, lots to do too.

Heard about the crime but did not think it was such a big issue. I am originally from NYC but now live in eastern PA. However, it is certainly something we will consider. I have been to Jekyll Island and it is quieter than we were looking for. We already have a beach house where we will spend the summers so we were looking for a nice, historic city (with a university and artistic culture -- SCAD for Savannah and I know Charleston has the University if Charleston) to live in for the winter that is warmer than eastern PA. We preferred Savannah over Charleston because of the beautiful squares and parks throughout the city, but perhaps we will reconsider. Thank you for your responses.

We have a good friend who lives there - on 37th street in a very cute neighborhood. We visited for a long weekend last month and I had a great time taking my dog on long walks all over. We also visited a neighborhood outside of town (got there by boat) that was awesome, quiet, views of the water, not city-like, but I'd have to ask him where it was, since we didn't get their via road. He did say it was about 20 minutes outside Savannah proper.

In that area also.. we spent two weeks this February on St. Simons Island and are going back next year for three.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it reminded us a lot of Savannah where we have been a few times before. If you have the Coin with a capital C, Sea Island is very nice.... but Brunswick is pretty sketchy, mind you.

Savannah and Charleston are also on my radar.
thanks for the info everyone

Hey! So I grew up in Brunswick, and spent my summers working on St Simons island and Jekyll. I now live in Savannah and have for some time. Brunswick is sketchy- not a great choice!
Jekyll is very quiet. Not as much to do.
St Simons is lovely!
Charleston is nice, it's a pretty big city.
Savannah has a lot of crime, but dang it I love it here!!! Sorry my kids are being crazy I don't have much time to go in too much depth!

Hilton head is gorgeous and I love it, but it's pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b9c00c9672f7155935e83a034cf32d68.jpg

My drive into work.

Not to thread hijack, but... we have been considering St. Simons/Sea Island along with Hilton Head and Amelia Island. Wasn't aware Brunswick was a problem. Can anyone elaborate?

Brunswick has built back up in areas. It was hit very hard by the recession. The largest factories in town shut down. There are neighborhoods out a little bit that are fine. Downtown and historic district I just wouldn't choose. The projects are woven in to the historic district. As in a half block from one of the high schools, terrible planning. A lot of people lost jobs and violence rose a bit. There are rows of abandoned buildings all over the place where all the businesses shut down. The mall is just above a flea market. It's not awful! Lots of amenities I guess like chain stores and restaurants. I would live on SSI and just use Brunswick as needed that's all. Personal preference.

Brunswick has built back up in areas. It was hit very hard by the recession. The largest factories in town shut down. There are neighborhoods out a little bit that are fine. Downtown and historic district I just wouldn't choose. The projects are woven in to the historic district. As in a half block from one of the high schools, terrible planning. A lot of people lost jobs and violence rose a bit. There are rows of abandoned buildings all over the place where all the businesses shut down. The mall is just above a flea market. It's not awful! Lots of amenities I guess like chain stores and restaurants. I would live on SSI and just use Brunswick as needed that's all. Personal preference.

Thank you. We weren't considering living there, but it would be nice if it were a nice place to eat (beyond the strip mall stuff you see before SSI) or walk around for a change of pace. Sounds like maybe not so much. One of our concerns with SSI for full time residency is that there isn't any decent size place within easy driving. For example, the way Savannah is 45 minutes from Hilton Head.

You could walk around safely, but walk around what is the question. Jacksonville is pretty close! And Savannah has a nice mall and a nice downtown area too. Hilton head has a great beach and nice shopping, but downtown Savannah is great and within driving of SSI.

I stayed in a very sketchy part of Brunswick years ago, in a gorgeous ramshackle B&B. You assessment of the area is how I recall it.

Another time, we stayed at the quirky and beautiful Hostel in the Forest near there. GeorgiaLiving do you remember that place? Tom Dennard opened it, and gave me a book he'd written about his travels. It had tree houses to sleep in, and a geodesic dome with library, kitchen, and bathhouse. Composting toilets, before they were a thing.

we just got back from savannah . the city proper is very nice and we felt very safe but go outside the immediate city area and all bets are off

Back
Top Bottom