Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I've had TSA pre-checks about 8 out of my last 10 flights as a random pick. The last 2 flights I had a mobile boarding pass and didn't get TSA pre-check.

At first I thought I would never pay for it. But I think it may be worth $85 for five years
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I just got back and got selected for prechecks both ways. I think that the airline does it. It said on my boarding pass (US Airways) right under my name that I was selected for precheck (this was MKE).

And, as noted, the family in front of us got split up with some getting the precheck and others not.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufus View Post

Many of us agree that the TSA per-check is now more crowded and SLOWER because of the newbies that still take out their computers, liquids, and off with the belts, etc. That is not required....
I have been a randomly selected TSA pre-checked traveler maybe in three out of six flights in the last six months. I am pretty efficient so breezed myself right through the pre-check but I did notice both the confused passengers who slowed the process way down, as well as the frequent travelers who were obviously part of the pre-cleared programs (and who had paid for the privilege). But only the pre-cleared did not present a security risk.

The pre-screened programs might not be cost-effective yet, but it really doesn't make sense from a security standpoint to allow people to randomly skip standard levels of screening just to give the people working in that line more to do imho.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just bought a flight today, on the confirmation, there is a little note that said grasshopper we know who you are and are pre-checked. I have skated through with pre-check on my last 10 flights or so.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

Although I'm not a "premier" level traveler on Southwest, for the past 5 years I've been a regular traveler (6-10 times/year) and noticed about 6 months ago that I got "TSA pre-check" status. Same each time since then. I didn't do anything to request it, and haven't booked normal flights on any other airline recently (only emergency rebookings due to weather) so don't know if it carries over to other airlines.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our first experience with Pre-Check was last April when my wife and I both got it. On the flight back, my wife was Pre-Check and I was not. Fortunately, I picked the right line and we finished about the same time. On our trip to Mexico, my wife and I were both Pre-Check, but a son traveling with us was not.

We didn't consider paying the $85 because we'd have to fly to another city for the interview and fingerprinting. One of my wife's friends did so a couple of months ago. On our return from Mexico earlier this month, we read in the paper that a local office was opening in our city. I just went through the interview, fingerprinting and paid the $85, so I'll hopefully get my number within a couple of weeks. We'll be doing more traveling so I figure it's worthwhile.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
TSA Pre check
Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #27

TSA Pre check

DW and I flew to Miami yesterday. I got the Pre-Check, but she didn't (I fly a fair amount, but she doesn't). I went through regular line with her and it was really bad that day, while the Pre-Checkers were just sailing through. We're going to have to figure out how to get her signed up, since we've got a couple more trips together this summer.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The one time I got lucky and got a TSA PRE check was for a 6:00 a.m. flight. Just my luck, there was nobody else at the security check-point and I could have breezed right though regular security. As it was, I had the time to stand around and joke with the TSA people. They were actually quite friendly... unlike most of them you find when the lines get really long.

My wife doesn't fly that much, but gets the Pre-check every time--and she never signed up for anything.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #29

That was quick. I paid the $85 and was fingerprinted on Friday. I just checked my application status today, Tuesday, and I had my Known Traveler Number (KTN). So, I get to keep my shoes and belt on and 3-1-1 bag stays in the carry-on.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not found any TSA checks recently that have been enforcing the liquids and gels in plastic bags. I just leave mine inside and the only thing I do is take shoes off and laptop out.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #31

I have Global Entry which also gets me pre-check (in most airports). I've seen the confusion of rerouting. It's the TSA so no more need sot be said...

It is still a great advantage most of the time and worth every penny. For anyone that travels overseas (ever!) I highly recommend GE. I made a connection recently only because I breezed through customs. I never would have made it in the regular line.

It's not perfect, but air travel is air travel.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #32

There is no rhyme or reason that I can see on who gets the Pre-Check. A week ago, DW and I flew to Miami and I got Pre-check but she did not. Tonight on our return flight, she got it but I didn't. Both of us were traveling on the same reservation. What's up with that?
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
There is no rhyme or reason that I can see on who gets the Pre-Check. A week ago, DW and I flew to Miami and I got Pre-check but she did not. Tonight on our return flight, she got it but I didn't. Both of us were traveling on the same reservation. What's up with that?
The TSA never likes to do anything logical. I once got through the gates to airside and the couple behind me had a few small containers with liquids in their carry-on- They didn't have a Freedom Baggie so they could run them through separately. I offered to empty mine so they could use it. The TSA guy said, no, I couldn't do that because my liquids had to stay in the baggie. Umm, yeah, right.

To get back to the OT: headed to Chicago today for a day trip on Southwest. TSA pre-check both ways although I rarely fly Southwest- last time was February 2013. Of course, I've got very little to carry on, but at least I can keep my sandals on.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I second the wonders of Global Entry! It is great if you travel overseas and the Pre Check is included. Though my home airport does not yet have pre check available all the time, I can still get faster service because of the GE designation.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I second the wonders of Global Entry! It is great if you travel overseas and the Pre Check is included. Though my home airport does not yet have pre check available all the time, I can still get faster service because of the GE designation.
We learned more in our trip home, again boarding passes were stamped tsa pre check. We got to the first agent who checked ids and boarding passes he explained they didn't have it. Instead they had expedited, liquids/laptop/keys out, shoes and belt ok. He mentioned they didn't meet the minimum amount of daily passengers(600?), hence expedited.

Someone mentioned a more relaxed vibe from the TSA. This guy had it, his other j*b must be at a comedy club. He tells us we got pre-check because "you've heard about NSA wiretaps and drones, they've been by and you guys are ok". I smiled and walked on by.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #36

Since we signed up for Global Entry (actually NEXUS, but it's the same idea), we recently had our first experience with using it. We flew back from Europe last week on a foreign flag airline, so couldn't have the pre-check mark on our boarding passes.

But when we got off the plane in Newark airport, there were several Global Entry kiosks available. Stick in your passport, place your fingertips on the screen, and answer a few simple questions -- Bingo! you get a printed receipt that you hand to the agent at the gate. No interviews, no inspections, no lines, no problems. I love it!

Enrolled in NEXUS, we get all the advantages of Global Entry at half the cost, so I'm absolutely sold on it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #37

My wife went in for her Pre check interview on Friday and by Monday she was approved and had her KTN. Now, we'll both be able to keep our shoes on and avoid the long airport TSA lines almost every time. Now that I'm retired, it's looking like we'll be doing more traveling.