Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another thing to do: Turn off the icemaker in the freezer (either with a switch on it, or by flipping the arm that detects when the bin is full). If you turn off the water to the house but don't also turn off the icemaker, the icemaker can suffer damage. How: If the icemaker senses a need for more ice (because the "sensor arm" detects that the bin isn't full), then a solenoid will open a valve that allows water to enter the ice tray (so it can freeze and then be pushed out by the tines/motor). This solenoid stays open until the trays fill up. If there's no water pressure, the solenoid can stay open for a long time waiting for the tray to fill up, and this will burn it out. Icemakers are expensive to fix.

Yes, I agree with turning off the water to the house. If we're going away for less than a week I usually set the gas water heater to "vacation" setting, which permits a lukewarm bath when we get home. I set it to "pilot" if we're going away for a longer amount of time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

The area of my boonies home has highly unpredictable weather due to the high elevation.

We were up last weekend, took a walk around the subdivision, and saw a house being completely gutted to repair for water damage. For a 2nd home that is left vacant for weeks if not months, it is amazing that there is anything left to rebuild after a failure to shut down water, and a pipe burst due to freezing.

Low-elevation dwellers who own their 2nd home up there do not appreciate how the temperature can vary 20 to 30 deg F from one day to the next, and that it can get down to freezing as early as September and as late as May.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Just put an offer on a place overlooking Prescott - about 500' higher than city center at 5840'. Methinks that's enough to keep snow after downtown is warmed up and dry... If we get it it will be interesting to learn all about draining systems, protecting outside water tank lines and faucets, and dealing with high winds.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Hi there, my new fellow Arizonan. My place is a bit higher (near 7000').

But haven't you experienced freezing weather already in Oregon? Don't know about Prescott, but where I am, the wind can be like hurricane at 70+mph. Recently, along Hwy 260, one can see multiple ponderosa pines snapped in the middle like giant pencils. Westernskies knows all about this too, I am sure.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hi there, my new fellow Arizonan. My place is a bit higher (near 7000').

But haven't you experienced freezing weather already in Oregon? Don't know about Prescott, but where I am, the wind can be like hurricane at 70+mph. Recently, along Hwy 260, one can see multiple ponderosa pines snapped in the middle like giant pencils. Westernskies knows all about this too, I am sure.
Dunno if the offer will fly - yes, Prescott gets high wind speeds as well and gets maybe 10 degrees colder than here in the winter. Most of the plumbing in the earth sheltered home is centrally located in the house and well protected, but the well and water tank plumbing , solar water panel and hose bibs are at risk. Have had some experience with pipe protection up here on the rentals, hopefully that will transfer.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Here's a picture found on the Web, taken by some guys somewhere in the so-called "Rim" area of AZ (short for Mogollon Rim).

Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Ice Cube Maker

Deleted