Uber experience?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We want to go to New Orleans on New Year's eve. We are camped in the RV about 10 miles outside the city and were considering using Uber. I feel so old saying I have not used it yet, but there you are. Is it reasonable and safe? My wife wants to be there at 12am, so I guess we would be calling for a ride sometime after that. I am personally not super comfortable being in the French Quarter that late but I am an old fart of 46 (so she says).

At least you don't drive an Oldsmobile (re: Old Fart)....

I would do a dry run a day or two before from where you are camping so that you get the hang of it.

No fun being away from home at the end of a long night and finding that your credit card is not authorizing properly with Uber or that you phone battery is dead etc. etc.

Last edited:
I used Uber for the first time to get from the Meadowlands to Times Square and then back again 5 hours later at 1 am. I signed up 20 minutes before using it. Probably better to have a bit more planning than this but it is very slick and beats that heck out of taxis as far as I can see.

I was in N O recently and used Uber without any problem. If you are anxious, gauss has a good recommendation: Do a dry run, even during the day. And you can add a second credit card to Uber just in case, and also make sure that your phone is adequately charged. After you use Uber once, you will feel a lot better - I recommend the dry run.
And the ultimate backup is a taxi back

Rich

Been using it twice daily for the last year or so (since the hospital dropped it's driver). My Wife loves it even though she can walk back and forth to work. It is dirt cheap/new cars/courteous drivers and very safe. My Wifes driver sends me a text with a gps locater and I can follow her route in real time. I use it on occasion as well and the only bad feature is surge pricing. Even though it might only cost $2 more for a 30 min trip across the city ($8.00 in total), I would rather pay 40 cents and ride the bus.

What's wrong with my Oldsmobile?

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 55
Not a darn thing! Hurst Shifter?

-gauss

I live in Boston and have used Uber many, many times and know many, many people that have used it many, many times... never a problem.

Uber is great. We use it all the time. When you are ready to leave go over to a hotel lobby, just on the edge of the quarter. There are a number of them. That way you can easily hail a cab or an uber as it might be tougher then to find an available uber. Plus uber will charge surge pricing then, most likely, so won't be different in price than a taxi. Bottom line, have used Uber many times and we have never had a problem... and I am a little older than you... I just don't act like an old fart! :)

been using Uber in Denver and Scottsdale for probably 7 or 8 years. Never really had a problem although they do sometimes have a hard time finding houses out here in the dessert!

Usually use Uber Black Car but have also used Uber Select and Uber XL for larger groups. Really a great service if you ask me.

You'll get the hang of it real quick. Always check a bit of time before you are ready to go to see how far away and what kind of cars are available. Also, watch out for "surge pricing" as the prices can rise quickly!

I've used uber in Chicago with no problems. And we had no problems out until 11ish in The French Quarter. I agree with the others. Do a dry run and see how it goes.

+1 on the surge pricing. At midnight to 2 am it might be pretty high (but no worse than a taxi and you probably won't get ripped off unlike a taxi).

You could probably pay for an extra drink or three at a bar and wait a while till the surge drops to 0 or a low 1.x multiple.

I've never actually requested an Uber but have it on my phone and know how to use it. It's my backup plan for when our household of five needs more than the one car we own, and for trips while on vacation. Just never needed it so far.

I use Uber at home in DC and have used it in Paris and Chicago. Never had a problem, pickups were always quick. At home rates are lower than taxis. I always bring a few dollar bills for tips - you cannot give Uber drivers tips through the service unlike Lyft.

Thanks for all of the replies, makes me feel more comfortable!

So for example the one way price from our camp to N.O. is about $18 for the 10 mile trip. Surge pricing would sometimes double or triple that?

I still like the idea vs a cab, where the meter just runs and runs.

Thanks for all of the replies, makes me feel more comfortable!

So for example the one way price from our camp to N.O. is about $18 for the 10 mile trip. Surge pricing would sometimes double or triple that?

I still like the idea vs a cab, where the meter just runs and runs.

Correct. Fairly likely you might get surge pricing on New Years Eve. I don't tip Uber and I understand many/most? riders don't. We use Uber a lot and generally an excellent experience.

I use Uber a fair bit and it is a great service.

But. On New Years Eve you will run into surge pricing. And you might have to wait a long time too. I tried to get one home on Super Bowl night last year. Took over an hour to get an available unit.

Plan accordingly.

Doesn't Uber give the driver info about where the ride is going.? What if all the drivers choose to not go that far out and have double the miles riding empty. If there is more money to be made in short bar to bar trips you may not get a answer from drivers.

Doesn't Uber give the driver info about where the ride is going.? What if all the drivers choose to not go that far out and have double the miles riding empty. If there is more money to be made in short bar to bar trips you may not get a answer from drivers.

That is indeed what I have heard also. I believe the "assignment" algorithm chooses riders near their current location to help mitigate this and also penalizes the drivers if they fail to accept.

We've used Uber in Chicago and it was great! Last trip was a Thursday evening, we got picked up within three minutes going to a restaurant, picked up in about one minute for return trip. We're guessing half the cost of a cab, and far quicker getting picked up. But the smaller the town and/or more remote the location, outside a city - the lower the odds of getting a ride from Uber.

Maybe you've already looked to see if where you'll be is even in the NOLA service area, this appears to be the NOLA service area https://www.uber.com/cities/new-orleans

Last edited:
WE have used Uber a lot on vacation and at home. We have found that we must be ready when you call the app because they will be there in a matter of minutes. We always carry change to tip. You can't hail a Uber. It all has to be done through the app. In general it costs us a third of the cab. The cab driver expects to be tipped so why not tip the Uber driver who has saved you a ton of $?

Best of all, they arrive when they say they will! Cab companies say "10 minutes" and a half hour later you're still waiting.

Plus no tipping!

Great disruptive service.

I use Uber a fair bit and it is a great service.

But. On New Years Eve you will run into surge pricing. And you might have to wait a long time too.

I really like the service IN A CITY and have had mostly good experiences, especially compared to cabs. I really like that the app will show you where your driver is as he arrives.

I have had some problems with surge pricing, but have never tried using Uber during a big event because of tales of how bad surge pricing can really get. New Years just after midnight sounds like it could be trouble.

The cab driver expects to be tipped so why not tip the Uber driver who has saved you a ton of $?

But why tip them? They're getting paid full freight by Uber (from your fare). You don't tip your doctor, Vanguard business analysts, the bus driver, police officers, firefighters, walmart sales clerks, etc. They all save money and/or lives.

If Uber drivers start expecting a tip you'll ruin it for the rest of us. :D

We tip when we use an Uber if the service is good (has been every time so far), but you don't have to. Lots of people do tip, but not everyone. IME Uber is faster and cheaper than a cab, and a cab driver will go nuts if they're NOT tipped! So even after a tip, it's cheaper than a cab. YMMV

Uber drivers say you should tip them - Business Insider

Back
Top Bottom