Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Uh oh, traffic ticket from Germany!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, traffic ticket from Germany!

Just got in the mail today a letter with the sender address as: Polizei, Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Just as I thought, it was a speeding ticket written by the police in Aachen. The letter is in French, which I can understand. They cited me for driving 62 km/hr in a zone of 50 km/hr. The fine is 25 euros. They included a photo, and it showed me as the driver.

Darn! I am going to pay this, but wonder how to go about it. The letter shows the IBAN/BIC numbers to do the money transfer.

On the Web, people said that their US bank charged as much as US$30 to do the transfer. I wonder if there's another cheaper way like using Paypal, or Western Union.

By the way, people also said that their car rental company also levied a charge of as much as US$30 for the trouble of complying with the police in providing owner's identity.

I wonder how many more of these tickets I will be getting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good thing you read French. I would have thought it was an invitation to speak to their legislature regarding my theory on fiscal policy.
How about calling the rental company asking them to pay it for you and to charge your credit card?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

geeze what a hassle
Old 07-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to see that German police wrote to me in French. Upon a bit of reflection, it became obvious that it was because my leased car had a French licence plate.

Anyway, if I ask the car agency to pay for me, even if they are going to do it, they may charge me more than the ticket itself for the service. Still, it's an idea and I may check it out if I cannot do it myself cheaply.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send them a money order?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You may get a bill from the rental agency for providing your name to the police.

I've gotten a ticket from a small Italian town for entering their ZTL zone, which I didn't pay, because I'd have to wire money to them and I didn't want to pay the transaction costs on top.

Some of the bigger Italian cities will give you the ability to pay online via credit card.

Also got a speeding ticket, probably from a camera, in France and I did pay that online.

Otherwise, I don't think they have much recourse. Maybe they will put your name on a list and if you try to enter the country in the future, they will try to collect. Or other theories like you won't be able to rent a car in that country.

But I've not had problems returning to Italy or renting a car there.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send them a photo of the money.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
... I don't think they have much recourse. Maybe they will put your name on a list and if you try to enter the country in the future, they will try to collect. Or other theories like you won't be able to rent a car in that country.

But I've not had problems returning to Italy or renting a car there.
I have read that the German and the Swiss enforce their laws, unlike some countries that are more lax. I do want to return to Germany. And I also do not shirk from my responsibility.

Anyway, I went on Paypal, and they can do a deposit into their bank using the IBAN, but want the name of the bank that the letter does not provide. So, I have to abort the transfer.

Also, Paypal only asks for the IBAN, but not the BIC. There's also no place to put a memo containing the ticket number for reference. I do not want my fine money to not get credited.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bummer. How about your local post office? They charge $8.25. Check for a banking account notice on the ticket. If not, you can call the police office- they will provide an english speaker if needed.

Or Xoom for $4.99
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Xoom (affiliated with Paypal) is the one I tried. It demanded the name of the bank, which the letter from the German police does not provide (only the IBAN/BIC).

Xoom also did not ask for BIC, and that makes me wonder if the money will be correctly credited.

PS. I just emailed the police using the email address provided. Will see what happens.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Check out Transferwise.

I used it earlier this year to wire money to reserve a pension in Austria.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OK, thanks.

Just check out Transferwise, and it takes both the IBAN and BIC. The fee is lower at $3, compared to XOOM.

I don't know if Transferwise will insist on the German bank name, which I don't have.

Having sent an email to the German police, I might as well wait for their response.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

I pick them up with some regularity in Switzerland whenever I vacation there ( sometimes Germany too), but typically there is a credit card option.
The rental agencies do charge $30 per ticket for looking up your address but they will NOT get involved in the money transfer between you and the authorities in my(all-too-vast) experience ..
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #14

Transferwise is a good service. I recommend it.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #15

Iban.com will give you the name of the bank.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, so there are a lot of speed radar cameras in Germany, Switzerland?

Going to Munich and Austria soon so I guess I'll have to be careful. I usually stay under the speed limit unless passing some cars.

But what's tricky is you're going 120 for stretches of highway and then the speed limit drops to 80 over a bridge or an interchange.

There are a lot of signs and some of it is for speed going on the exit ramp. Sometimes it's not always clear what the speed limit is suppose to be.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I just tried Iban.com, and it gave me the name of the bank as Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale NL. Düsseldorf.

The bank name is really superfluous, as the IBAN should be unique. XOOM (Paypal) asks for the bank name just to double-check the long IBAN (22 digits) and protect again entry errors.

What I found more interesting is that Iban.com also gave me the BIC as WELADEDD, while the citation letter gives the BIC as WELADEDDXXX. Do the XXX at the end mean something?

Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #18

I had a similar experience in France! The notice did include wire info as well as a credit card option with a surcharge less than my local bank wire fee. I then recalled wire services from my Fido account.
Depending on where you park your investment funds and status there, the brokerage may offer a free or low cost wire service. As a Private Client at Fido, wires are free.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Hmm, so there are a lot of speed radar cameras in Germany, Switzerland?

Going to Munich and Austria soon so I guess I'll have to be careful. I usually stay under the speed limit unless passing some cars.

But what's tricky is you're going 120 for stretches of highway and then the speed limit drops to 80 over a bridge or an interchange.

There are a lot of signs and some of it is for speed going on the exit ramp. Sometimes it's not always clear what the speed limit is suppose to be.
I do not like to drive fast, and in fact was often tailgated by native drivers. I hated that. But often, I was too busy looking for street signs, and forgot about the speed limits. In addition, the speed limit is often implied. In urban areas, when not posted, it's usually 50 km/hr. And it's 130 km/hr on French highways when not posted.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just tried Iban.com, and it gave me the name of the bank as Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale NL. Düsseldorf.

The bank name is really superfluous, as the IBAN should be unique. XOOM (Paypal) asks for the bank name just to double-check the long IBAN (22 digits) and protect again entry errors.

What I found more interesting is that Iban.com also gave me the BIC as WELADEDD, while the citation letter gives the BIC as WELADEDDXXX. Do the XXX at the end mean something?
Yes, that's the branch number. Here's how SWIFT/BIC codes break down according to Wikipedia.

The SWIFT code is 8 or 11 characters, made up of:
4 letters: Institution Code or bank code.
2 letters: ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
2 letters or digits: location code
if the second character is "0", then it is typically a test BIC as opposed to a BIC used on the live network.
if the second character is "1", then it denotes a passive participant in the SWIFT network
if the second character is "2", then it typically indicates a reverse billing BIC, where the recipient pays for the message as opposed to the more usual mode whereby the sender pays for the message.
3 letters or digits: branch code, optional ('XXX' for primary office)

WELA might be something-LAndesbank
DE is the country code for Deutschland
DD is probably the bank's code for Dusseldorf
XXX is the bank's main office
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote