Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Be sure to promise places that only the locals go to so your clients will feel even more like special snowflakes
Shhh..trade secrets an' all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
(and places that will provide a little consideration for the effort back to you).
People would actually do such a thing? Wow, now I know how Captain Louis Renault must've felt.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We didn't allow enough time this go around, (we catch a transatlantic on Nov 06 from Civitavecchia), but we have our eye on Romania/Moldova down the road, (if I live long enough ).......also want to see Lithuania/Estonia/Latvia.
When you visit Moldova, be sure to allow enough time to see Transnistria as well.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When you visit Moldova, be sure to allow enough time to see Transnistria as well.
If we went there, (on a State Visit of course), it'd have to be officially recognized.

(In actuality, I'd never even heard of it before...one more reason to check it out.)

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

After this trip, you may want to visit Cyprus, both the southern and northern sides.

I will have to say these places are not very high on my list. It is more likely that I would go to Solenzara first, all because of the following song by Enrico Macias.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
After this trip, you may want to visit Cyprus, both the southern and northern sides.
Haven't been to the Turkish side, but my first Saudi R&R, (April 1982), was to Israel...(indirectly), by ferry from Limassol.

(I hadn't visited Israel 19 years earlier when I was in Syria, Iraq, et al, because one couldn't travel in and out of that country overland from Arab areas. So, I grabbed the first opportunity that offered itself.)

Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
One Sunday morning in Prague we got up at about 03:00 a.m., showered, ate, got ready, caught the streetcar and arrived at the Charles Bridge at 05:00 a.m.

There were a few drinkers heading home, and then for about two hours we had the whole downtown to ourselves. It was great.
We did the same in Prague, and even over New Years it was peaceful with few tourists early in the mornings. Temperatures did keep us walking briskly, though. It got busier once the holiday markets opened up. New Years Eve was pretty crowded, but fun for a night.

After a few days in Prague, we moved to the Vyšehrad district, which was much more residential and quiet, but with its own castle area to explore.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
We did the same in Prague
We did it in Rome too........had a little room near the main station.....started out by walking down to the Colosseum in the dark....it was closed, but all lit up.

(It's great to feel like you're the only people there......back when I used to run, (in Toronto), in the 1970s, I'd do it before work and was often the only person around..........had a street sweeper drive alongside me one time, and he yelled out to me and told me how fast I was going. )

Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
After a few days in Prague, we moved to the Vyšehrad district, which was much more residential and quiet, but with its own castle area to explore.
That's the nice, quiet area we found on our last day in Prague! Really nice castle and grounds to explore, along with the church and cemetery and a huge wall around the whole thing. Free to enter and stroll as you like. Very different vibe from the downtown historic area. I wish I would have found it earlier as it was worth a second visit (versus going downtown to the crowds).
Old 09-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely an advantage in staying in places for longer periods - being able to explore different neighborhoods off the tourist track. You kind of need to see the big attractions (they're usually popular for good reasons), but it's nice to get out and see how the locals live.

I'm not sure if South Island of New Zealand is exactly an undiscovered destination, but it's high on my list of places to return to. We rented a small campervan and just moved clockwise around the island starting in Christchurch, taking about five weeks before taking the ferry to North Island. The fall in NZ was a great time to explore the country.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

There are two types of undiscovered places. Undiscovered, and then undiscovered/now well known to North American and/or European tourists.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Not undiscovered, but I really enjoyed Hong Kong when I visited. Kowloon night market was awesome. You really understand where the old term the Hong Kong Flu comes from when you step into Kowloon and see how the people are stacked in there. Really a lot to see and do for a few days. Good stopping point for other locations around Asia.

Also, you can see Singapore which I consider the Disney version of Hong Kong

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Between my frosh/soph year in college, I worked for 8 months in a coal mine in Wyoming as part of a co-op program. I traveled to a few great places on 5 or 6 weekends I took off. Jackson Hole had 1 blinking yellow light, Steamboat Springs had none, and Denver was just a town. When I returned with the family in the late '90's, I was heartbroken over what had become of these 2 little blips and the Mile High. I sat in bumper to bumper traffic for 90 minutes last year trying to get to the airport from Red Rock Amphithreatre in 4 lanes of traffic going my way last year.

So I ain't telling nobody about my secret spots ever again.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
So I ain't telling nobody about my secret spots ever again.
Many of us have similar stories. The first time I visited Colorado Springs, the population was around 140,000. When I moved there for w*rk it was nearly twice that.

I bought a home on a two-lane road that petered out into a dirt road at the south end of town. Today it's a six-lane divided highway, and the population is around half a million.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've been to Norman Wells, NW Territories, Canada. Not a real touristy place, but very interesting. Plus, it has a museum.

I haven't been to Antarctica, though. I wonder if anyone here has been?

I haven't but I had a neighbor go in the 90s and my niece went for a J-term course in 2012. Cruises leave from Argentina.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've been to Norman Wells, NW Territories, Canada. Not a real touristy place, but very interesting. Plus, it has a museum.

I haven't been to Antarctica, though. I wonder if anyone here has been?

I haven't but I had a neighbor go in the 90s and my niece went for a J-term course in 2012. Cruises leave from Argentina.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Many of us have similar stories. The first time I visited Colorado Springs, the population was around 140,000. When I moved there for w*rk it was nearly twice that.
When I first moved to Australia the population was around 10 million.....now it's over 24 million.......me and my big mouth, I shouldn't have told anybody about the place.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #77

I guess the only way to discover undiscovered destinations is if they can fit into the classic "You can't get there from here" line.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:

I bought a home on a two-lane road that petered out into a dirt road at the south end of town. Today it's a six-lane divided highway, and the population is around half a million.
I left home 40 years ago. I recently went back for a wedding, and got lost twice. The county population increased from 125k to 385k over that period. None of the roads are the same and nothing looks familiar. It's disconcerting.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess the only way to discover undiscovered destinations is if they can fit into the classic "You can't get there from here" line.
"Damn you, Ferdinand Magellan."

Old 09-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #80

It should be "damn you, Malthus." The world is overpopulated and everyone seems to want to move here and to the other wealthier, more desirable places. More wealthy people equals more people with leisure time and money to spend enjoying it.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote