Join Early Retirement Today

US Open Tennis Tickets
Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

US Open Tennis Tickets

I'm thinking about purchasing some tickets to the 2016 US open tennis tournament. I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to purchase tickets to the open. What activities can you see at the Open and does anyone have any tips for someone that wants to see the open for the very first time? I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I'd like to get the biggest bang for my bucks when I go.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This?
US Open Tennis | 2016 US Open Tickets | Championship Tennis Tours

Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went to the quarterfinals a couple times back a number of years ago. IMO no need to buy tickets in advance... just buy them at the window. If it is hot out the prime seats are in the shade at both Arthur Ashe stadium and Louis Armstrong stadium. IIRC in Arthur Ashe the shady side is where the broadcasters sit and fairly high early in the afternoon.

It used to be that you could buy a ticket in the 300 sections and sneak down to empty seats in the 100 sections or even lower... I was actually courtside for an early round back in the late 1990s... but they seem to be more vigilant when it gets deeper into the tournament.

We stayed in Manhattan and took the subway out and back and found that better than driving and parking and taking walking or taking a shuttle bus.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the responses! Has anyone gone in the last few years? What was your experience and how much did you pay for tickets?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to the Open several times in the 1990s, the last time in 1997 when the Ashe Stadium had just been completed. Sometimes I went during the middle of the first week (second round action), sometimes the middle of the second week (quarterfinals). A few times I went both weeks.

I often went to the Grandstand and outer courts because those were unreserved seats and I could get some good seats. I remember one time, in order to get a really good seat, I went to see the end of a Grandstand match then moved down to see the next match just to get a good seat for the following match, one I really wanted to see. On the outer courts (beyond Court 16, the next largest seating area), they had the Senior Matches (Over 45) starting and we sitting a few feet behind Ilie Nastase and chatting with him during the breaks. Fun stuff.

I brought a seat cushion because the seats for those outer courts are not butt-friendly. Be prepared to do a lot of walking and bring money in case you want to buy food or souvenirs.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
US Open Tennis Tickets
Old 12-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

US Open Tennis Tickets

I understand the day is divided into sections. How do these sessions work and what are the ground pass tickets and how do they work?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I would recommend going the first week during the day and getting a field pass. this allows you to roam the outer courts and watch up close and personal all the matches not in the stadiums. You can be 5 to 10 feet from the action. stay in manhattan and take the #7 express subway out to the open.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
I understand the day is divided into sections. How do these sessions work and what are the ground pass tickets and how do they work?

There is a day session and a night session. The day session starts at 11 AM and the night session starts at 7:30 PM with separate ticket admission. The night session has a featured match at the main stadium (Arthur Ashe) where everyone goes to watch. I am not sure if there are any matches in the night session on other courts such as the Armstrong Stadium or Grandstand. I attended a night session back in 1991 before the Ashe Stadium was completed. I'm pretty sure there was a match on the Grandstand.

It is possible for day session matches to run long, sometimes into the night session. This can happen if the matches simply take long or there is a rain delay. Day session matches at the main stadium may get moved to another court. I have seen the night session folks held outside the entrance until the main stadium's last match ends and the attendees are cleared out. One time, in the Grandstand match I described in my earlier post, that match did not begin until 8 PM because of long-running matches held there. The night session's match in Armstrong Stadium was well under way while we watched our match. We were not allowed into Armstrong Stadium after our match ended. (I had been at the Center since 11 AM so it was a loooooooong but satisfying day. )

Another advantage of going to find good matches on outer courts in the second week is the beginning of the draw in doubles matches. Those draws are smaller so they start early in the second week once the larger singles draws start freeing up court space. It was a great mixed doubles match I saw that night in the Grandstand which followed a great women's doubles match before that.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad, who was an LBYM guy, went to the US Open several times with his tennis buddies. They always went during the first week and would get Grounds Pass tickets. In the first 2 rounds, there are always some upsets and some great matches in the outer courts.

For lodging, there are a lots of hotels in the Long Island City area of Queens, which is directly opposite Manhattan. The hotels are typically a lot cheaper than those in Manhattan, yet you're only 1 or 2 subway stops from Manhattan, and a straight shot out to the US Open. Queens also has great ethnic food for a fraction of the price of restaurants in Manhattan. In particular, the Roosevelt Avenue-74 Street subway station in Queens (Jackson Heights neighborhood) is surrounded by great and inexpensive places to eat.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Totally agree. Best way to see the open is to go the first week with a grounds pass. Can walk around to all the back court matches and see some great tennis up close.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again for the responses. The information is truly helpful! I have another question though, do the ground passes allow access to stadiums such as Armstrong and the Grandstand stadium? Do you have to then purchase a separate ticket to enter those stadiums?

Old 12-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

As best as I know, the Grounds Pass allows the attendee to go anywhere except the main stadium. The Grandstand has no reserved seats except for some corporate box seats very close to the court indicated by name plates. I don't believe Armstrong Stadium has any more reserved seats now that Ashe Stadium is the #1 court and Armstrong has been relegated to the #2 court.