Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good suggestions above, but since you are open to anywhere in the world I'll add Queensland Australia. It is winter there in June and July, but is in the tropics and is the dry season. Days are usually in the low 70's, nights are never frosty. We have spent 4 weeks there 3 times now in June, July and August, the first two times taking our children with us (in 1989 and 1997), the last time on our own (2013). My sister and her family were there for 3 weeks last year in July and had the same weather experience.
I've thought about South American countries where it's winter time but still moderate due to proximity to the equator. Australia never crossed my mind. Not a bad idea and they speak what sounds like a near-English tongue as well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are OK with a higher altitude, you can find quite comfortable summer climates here in the US. For example, Flagstaff AZ has an average June high of 77F. July is a little warmer at 81F but the nights cool down quickly to average lows in the 40's. Dew point is generally in the comfortable range in the summer. Pretty sunny but with occasional afternoon thunderstorms in the summer months.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Northern Minnesota, great state parks, Lake Superior, great fishing.
Yep, the Upper Midwest seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for. Northern Wisconsin and Northern Michigan would also have similar weather in the summer. If you want more people and amenities, go to a place like Traverse City, Michigan, or maybe Minocqua, Wisconsin. If you want fewer people and don't mind fewer amenities, there are many smaller towns in the same general area to choose from.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I've thought about South American countries where it's winter time but still moderate due to proximity to the equator. Australia never crossed my mind. Not a bad idea and they speak what sounds like a near-English tongue as well.
Oz is great, but it is such a long (and expensive) haul to get there from the East Coast.. --- especially with a bunch of kids in tow
Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Oz is great, but it is such a long (and expensive) haul to get there from the East Coast.. --- especially with a bunch of kids in tow
True enough. Not too bad with my massive collection of frequent flyer points that would make flights free. Amortized over 6-8 weeks during the summer the ticket cost (in points) wouldn't be horrible value.

But the long flights are the main thing keeping me from visiting Australia.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #26

Quote:
True enough. Not too bad with my massive collection of frequent flyer points that would make flights free. Amortized over 6-8 weeks during the summer the ticket cost (in points) wouldn't be horrible value.

But the long flights are the main thing keeping me from visiting Australia.
You'd be surprised by how many points that would reduce your massive collection of FF miles..Also I think in Australia you might need to rent a car. That can really run up the cost of a long trip.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #27

How about an Alaskan cruise?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You'd be surprised by how many points that would reduce your massive collection of FF miles..Also I think in Australia you might need to rent a car. That can really run up the cost of a long trip.
I would definitely recommend hiring a car. We've stayed in Sidney, Hobart and Melbourne for weeks at a time with no car as the public transport is great but up in Queensland you'll need a car.

The first time we went, from Baton Rouge, we used FF miles for the 4 of us, and yes it is a long way.

Great people there, very welcoming plus they love Americans.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Feugo, why don't you try the beautiful mountains of you own state of North Carolina? I summer in Linville, NC, about 30 minutes south of Boone at the base of Grandfather Mountain at about 4000 foot elevation. Today is around 75 degrees, low humidity, nice breeze. It rarely gets to 80 degrees here and usually the humidity is low. Last summer I never had to turn on the air conditioner.

Tons of stuff to do, including things for your children. Linville is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is hiking, fishing, kayaking and tubing, golfing, great places to eat and shop. If you like Blue Grass music look up Altapass Orchard on the Blue Ridge Parkway where there is music almost every day and tons of mountain dancing (clogging and flat footing--kids love it), especially on the weekends.

Let me know if you would like more info.

Jo Ann
Old 06-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
Feugo, why don't you try the beautiful mountains of you own state of North Carolina? I summer in Linville, NC, about 30 minutes south of Boone at the base of Grandfather Mountain at about 4000 foot elevation. Today is around 75 degrees, low humidity, nice breeze. It rarely gets to 80 degrees here and usually the humidity is low. Last summer I never had to turn on the air conditioner.
My sister has a house at Elk River, a golf/equestrian community in Banner-Elk, NC. The wives and families move there for the summer, and the fathers fly into the neighborhood 4200' landing strip in their King Airs for the weekends. The golf course is by Jack Nicklas, and it's nothing short of fabulous.

The whole Boone-Banner/Elk area has condos and rental houses galore. And it is cooler there than lower elevations in the Deep South.

What my sister likes is the people in the mountains--that live there year round. It's like going back in time 60 years in some places. There's white water rafting and great trout fishing too.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Tons of stuff to do, including things for your children. Linville is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is hiking, fishing, kayaking and tubing, golfing, great places to eat and shop. If you like Blue Grass music look up Altapass Orchard on the Blue Ridge Parkway where there is music almost every day and tons of mountain dancing (clogging and flat footing--kids love it), especially on the weekends.
I spent a lot of time up there as a kid (all extended family from western NC - Rutherford and Cleveland counties). Linville falls and gorge hiking and camping. Blue Ridge Parkway.

It's definitely nice up there but can get warm from my memories. Today was a beautiful day in Raleigh so no surprise it's nice up there too! 84 degrees and dew points in the 40's = very low humidity.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Let me know if you would like more info.

Jo Ann
This is true! The Blue Ride Mountains of North Georgia are quite comfortable in high summer. As are locations near the Smokies.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'd recommend Traverse City, MI, and any of the U.P. .. Mackinaw Island (an island which doesn't allow vehicles on it so bicycles and horses only), Pictured Rocks National Park near Munising, MI... due to the mineral deposits, the shoreline is breathtaking, the color of the water ..you'd assume you were in the Caribbean. Waterfalls, Lighthouses, tons of craft beer, liquor, fresh fruit stands on the super cheap, hiking, kayaking, boating, sandy beaches, fishing, camping.. theres also the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes which is really rather impressive.

+1
Took a long vacation in this area of the UP a couple years ago. Knew nothing of it prior but we had a blast. The climate was awesome! Especially compared to summer back home in Texas. Loved Pictured Rocks. Went all the way up the Keeweenaw Peninsula. Really pretty area with seemingly lots to do.

Muir

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Feugo, you need to give the North Carolina mountains another try. If you get to the higher altitudes (around 4000 feet, much higher than Rutherford) the weather will be just want you want. In Linville where I am it rarely gets to 80 degrees. Last Saturday when Raleigh was 98 degrees, it was around 80 here in the day and much cooler (low 60s) at night and no humidity. I never use my air conditioner. The Linville area is less than a 4 hour drive from Raleigh and VRBO ad Air BnB have plenty of rentals. Look at Beech Mountain Ski Resort that has a lot of summer activities.. It is a high altitude and will feel like heaven to you temperature wise.

I agree with Bamaman about how nice the people are in the North Carolina mountains. Elk River is a bit above my price grade but is a great place. I have a place in Linville Land Harbor (check out their website). In Linville Land Harbor you can buy a nice little cabin or cottage for less than $100,000 or get a nightly rental of a nice 2 or 3 bedroom house on VRBO for less than $150 per night. I am in my motorhome and Linville Land Harbor on a very nice RV lot.

Put your family in the car and drive on up for a few days, you will love it. Let me know if you are coming and I will take you dancing.

Jo Ann
Old 06-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'll bet Vancouver Island BC is nice, and I hope to go there sometime.
I was there last week (mostly Victoria & the Saanich Peninsula area) and it was *gorgeous*. Clear and sunny and warm (low-mid 80's some days) but not humid. The locals said we were in a heat wave but it wasn't hot to me, back home it was in the 100's.

I'm currently in the nearby San Juan islands in WA state and it's also nice -- cooler weather has moved into the region, mid-high 60's or low 70's for the most part, and some days are cloudy with a bit of rain, but it's still mighty nice.

Here's a picture I took yesterday from the southernmost point in Lopez Island in the San Juans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13413518_10207954531913963_6637262815224143785_n.jpg (182.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Feugo, you need to give the North Carolina mountains another try. If you get to the higher altitudes (around 4000 feet, much higher than Rutherford) the weather will be just want you want. In Linville where I am it rarely gets to 80 degrees. Last Saturday when Raleigh was 98 degrees, it was around 80 here in the day and much cooler (low 60s) at night and no humidity. I never use my air conditioner. The Linville area is less than a 4 hour drive from Raleigh and VRBO ad Air BnB have plenty of rentals. Look at Beech Mountain Ski Resort that has a lot of summer activities.. It is a high altitude and will feel like heaven to you temperature wise.

I agree with Bamaman about how nice the people are in the North Carolina mountains. Elk River is a bit above my price grade but is a great place. I have a place in Linville Land Harbor (check out their website). In Linville Land Harbor you can buy a nice little cabin or cottage for less than $100,000 or get a nightly rental of a nice 2 or 3 bedroom house on VRBO for less than $150 per night. I am in my motorhome and Linville Land Harbor on a very nice RV lot.

Put your family in the car and drive on up for a few days, you will love it. Let me know if you are coming and I will take you dancing.
I must be mis-remembering all my Linville living back in the day. Seemed more like a rain forest at times with the humidity. I can still remember sweating my way up the mountain trails to overlooks at Linville Falls, cursing my parents the whole way.

It is way nicer than Raleigh in the summer of course.

We're doing a big road trip this summer and plan on spending a couple of nights in Cleveland/Rutherford counties on the way west to TN and KY. Might stop in Asheville for a minute on the long drive to Nashville.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Feugo, you must be misremembering Linville Falls. I hike them all the time (gorgeous) and never feel hot or sweaty.

The key to cool weather in the North Carolina mountains is finding high elevation, around 4000 feet or more. Lower elevations get too hot and humid. Rutherford County is at less than 1000 feet elevation and will be hot. Asheville is higher, around 3000 but still can get hot. Where I am in Linville is around 4000 feet, nice and cool. Sugar Mountain, near me is 4500 feet, that would be really nice for you and there is a lot for kids to do there.

Have a good trip this Summer. Try to make time for the high elevation part of the NC mountains some time this summer. Do you camp? Nice camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Linville Falls and Price Lake.

Jo Ann
Old 06-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Feugo, you must be misremembering Linville Falls. I hike them all the time (gorgeous) and never feel hot or sweaty.
I must be misremembering those beads of sweat.

Taking a look at the forecast for tomorrow for Linville - high of 81 degrees and 76% humidity. Dew point of 73 and heat index of 86 degrees. Seems muggy to me (though about 15 degrees cooler than Raleigh tomorrow with triple digit heat index).
Old 06-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Dew point of 73
wow sounds like Houston

+1 for the PNW, you need to check out the Olympic peninsula if you've never been there
Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #40

In Germany, and my kids last school day is tomorrow. Jackets in the kids every day. No houses here have a/c because you may only need it for a week or so. I'm still in shock how inexpensive it is to travel once you are in Europe. Bought plane tix for the family of 5 to Barcelona for €200 round trip last month. Dublin was the same price, so we're going there in October.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app