Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I must be misremembering those beads of sweat.

Taking a look at the forecast for tomorrow for Linville - high of 81 degrees and 76% humidity. Dew point of 73 and heat index of 86 degrees. Seems muggy to me (though about 15 degrees cooler than Raleigh tomorrow with triple digit heat index).
Yikes! A heat wave in Linville NC tomorrow, fortunately it will be windy 10 to 15 mph so maybe not so bad. If it gets as high as forecasted I will go a few miles up to Sugar or Grandfather Mountains which are forecasted in the mid 70s.

FUEGO I get the feeling you don't like the North Carolina mountains so I will leave you alone, personally I love it here.

A couple of places I have visited during the Summer months that were cold--New Zealand South Island, Iceland, the northern part of Scotland (rains a lot though).

Good luck

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I talked to my sister in Banner-Elk this a.m. She was elated to get out of the 98 degrees (tomorrow) expected in Memphis.

She was telling me how she likes to get up close and personal with all the little mountain ladies. One asked her "Where you from?" and my sister said Memphis. The lady thought for a minute and said "I went to Nashville once to the Grand Ole Opry." That had been the highlight of her life.

Old time hillbillies are still up there in Western NC, Southwestern Virginia, and East Tennessee. They're quite pleasant and quick to tell a tale and laugh.

We hang out in a large RV resort in the North GA mountains--90 minutes from downtown Atlanta.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
Yikes! A heat wave in Linville NC tomorrow, fortunately it will be windy 10 to 15 mph so maybe not so bad. If it gets as high as forecasted I will go a few miles up to Sugar or Grandfather Mountains which are forecasted in the mid 70s.

FUEGO I get the feeling you don't like the North Carolina mountains so I will leave you alone, personally I love it here.

A couple of places I have visited during the Summer months that were cold--New Zealand South Island, Iceland, the northern part of Scotland (rains a lot though).
I like the mountains, and admit I don't take advantage of visiting them as much as I could. I just don't remember them being particularly cool and dry in the summer. But thanks for reminding me that it's an option, since I kind of overlooked that in my overview of potential summer vacation spots.

I also think we would like somewhere more novel since I've spent a lot of time in the mountains growing up.

But I'll check to see if I can find a nice mid-week last minute rental somewhere up that way and maybe get away for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Old time hillbillies are still up there in Western NC, Southwestern Virginia, and East Tennessee. They're quite pleasant and quick to tell a tale and laugh.
That's my kinfolk you're talking about so much less of a novelty for me.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
In Germany, and my kids last school day is tomorrow. Jackets in the kids every day. No houses here have a/c because you may only need it for a week or so. I'm still in shock how inexpensive it is to travel once you are in Europe. Bought plane tix for the family of 5 to Barcelona for €200 round trip last month. Dublin was the same price, so we're going there in October.
Spending a lot of time in Germany is a distinct possibility in summer 2017 at least in part because of the weather. It doesn't seem crazy expensive for Europe like London/Paris/Switzerland. Many cost comparisons show German cities similar to a mid-range COL US city like Raleigh (where I live).
Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm seeking out vacation destinations for the summer time. Places where it's usually mild - in the 70's during the day without a lot of humidity. We are in North Carolina and it gets oppressively hot and humid for much of the summer (July and August are the worst!).
Have you considered Colombia? Much of Colombia is at high altitude. The temperature doesn't vary much year-round, though some times of year are rainier than others. Bogota is quite high and the temperature rarely gets above 70. Medellin is a bit lower and has perfect temperatures year-round. I was in the country in January last year, visiting Bogota and some national parks and colonial towns north of there. The scenery is stunning. Most of the country is pretty safe now. Colombians have a reputation for being very friendly.

It has been very inexpensive to fly to Colombia from the East Coast of North America lately, and we're in the same time zone so there's no jet lag. Costs were very inexpensive.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Have you considered Colombia? Much of Colombia is at high altitude. The temperature doesn't vary much year-round, though some times of year are rainier than others. Bogota is quite high and the temperature rarely gets above 70. Medellin is a bit lower and has perfect temperatures year-round. I was in the country in January last year, visiting Bogota and some national parks and colonial towns north of there. The scenery is stunning. Most of the country is pretty safe now. Colombians have a reputation for being very friendly.

It has been very inexpensive to fly to Colombia from the East Coast of North America lately, and we're in the same time zone so there's no jet lag. Costs were very inexpensive.
Thanks for the tip. I've considered the middle latitudes of South America at higher altitudes (Ecuador, Peru, maybe Chile). Seems like a nice climate in many spots (moderate temp, dry). I'll have to look into Colombia more.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

San Diego is really nice this time of year, so I hear, I have some friends who just returned. Low to mid 70's with a nice breeze pretty much all the time and no rain, sounds perfect.
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
yes!

Met my DH in Maine. We spent several weeks there in the summers for years, staying at in-law's cottage. very low humidity. It is imperative to pack warm clothes (unless you want to shop thrift stores after you arrive) because the nights, and some of the days, can be quite cool in July.

....miss those trips/miss that weather
Maine coast my DW and I discovered in '76. Great time, 19 years old and away from anyone. Had zero for credit cards and made it home to PA with change in our pockets. Our last night we spent $3.00 for a room on the beach. Glad we were newlyweds.

We're visiting Pagosa Springs, Colorado this week. Dry and cool evenings(50's) with some heat(low 90's) in the days. I'm really liking the area.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Maine coast my DW and I discovered in '76. Great time, 19 years old and away from anyone. Had zero for credit cards and made it home to PA with change in our pockets. Our last night we spent $3.00 for a room on the beach. Glad we were newlyweds.
After visiting Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island, we found what we were looking for along the Maine coastline--reasonable prices and lobster shacks. We didn't care for $12.99 Canadian beer (6 pk.) and 15% sales taxes.

We found Camden, Maine to have incredible waterfront and the most beautiful bed and breakfasts we've ever seen. There were a bunch of huge 2 masted sailboats and schooners in the bay there. And we're wanting to go back there to spend more time--in Summer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You'd be surprised by how many points that would reduce your massive collection of FF miles..Also I think in Australia you might need to rent a car. That can really run up the cost of a long trip.
We were in Australia, with 10 days on Tasmania--very mild in Feb. Car rental was under US 250 for the 10 days. You have to shop it but got good rates from Auto Europe. We had great FE rates with Aussi $ quite weak--even now .75 US to 1 Aussi$. I have seen fare promos for RT from LA to Sydney for about a 1000 for economy. Check out Air NZ as well. We used and got the best deal on Premium Econ of the alternatives.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oregon or Washington coasts!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm a fan of the Maine coast.
I second that. We've been renting a place up there for two weeks in July the past 16 years.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I like northern Wisconsin/Michigan near Lake Michigan
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote