Join Early Retirement Today

Vacation destinations for great weather (70's, not humid) during summer months?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vacation destinations for great weather (70's, not humid) during summer months?

I'm seeking out vacation destinations for the summer time. Places where it's usually mild - in the 70's during the day without a lot of humidity. We are in North Carolina and it gets oppressively hot and humid for much of the summer (July and August are the worst!).

I'll share my experiences first.

In 2014, we went north to Canada. Montreal and Quebec City. Montreal was beautiful the entire time we were there in late June/early July. Quebec City was also comfortable, but the humidity kicked up one day.

In the summer of 2015 we spent 7.5 weeks in Mexico, with over 6 weeks of that time in the central highlands area. 2 weeks each in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico City, and Oaxaca city. All three were very comfortable overall, with low humidity when it got warm (and moderate humidity in Mexico City but with highs in the 60's and 70's most of the time we were there). In San Miguel and Oaxaca there were a few days in the lower 80's where it was rather warm for a couple hours in the afternoon but otherwise pretty comfortable (neither house rental had air conditioning). The week we spent in the Yucatan peninsula was unbearably hot to the point where we gave up on sightseeing (we had our three year old with us) and did the typical pool/beach scene after one miserably hot outing to see some ruins.

2016 brings us back to Canada for a couple weeks in Toronto with a few days in Detroit and Niagara Falls. Toronto's average high is 81 so it's on the edge of what I would consider great weather.

2017 might see us in Germany for a big part of the summer (I hear it's mild) after we make stops in Spain and other places between Spain and Germany (haven't given the route north much thought yet but I know France is there ).

I'm open to almost anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be a popular or touristy destination - off the beaten path is fine. Also open to multiple destinations in a region or country where we could stay for 2-3 weeks in each city exploring the area then move on to a new area.

edit: we have kids in public school so we usually have June 10 - August 27 as a window to vacation during the summer. Ideal vacation length for us is 3-10 weeks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Come to NW-Central Oregon in September, early October.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Come to NW-Central Oregon in September, early October.
Looking for summer time mild weather. By October it's usually pretty beautiful here in North Carolina.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It won't be 70 all the time, but even when the days get warmer the nights are nice and cool. Northern Minnesota, great state parks, Lake Superior, great fishing. You'd want to do this one closer to the June dates. I think 70 is going to be hard to come by in the summer anywhere in the continental US...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #5

I'm a fan of the Maine coast.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It won't be 70 all the time, but even when the days get warmer the nights are nice and cool. Northern Minnesota, great state parks, Lake Superior, great fishing. You'd want to do this one closer to the June dates. I think 70 is going to be hard to come by in the summer anywhere in the continental US...
I'm fine with day time highs around 80 as long as the humidity isn't bad.

I know this knocks out many places in the continental US, but I also know many parts of the northern US come very close for at least part of the summer (I had a week of training in Milwaukee one summer and it was very pleasant). That's why we ended up picking spots just across the border in 2014 and 2016.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
+1. If you are into a bit of adventure, try a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Nothing beats getting to know nature when you are up there in a spot that is only assessable by canoe. You can even go places where you do not see anyone for quite a while.

There are plenty of outfitters that will set you up for a day/week/month long trip.

The North shore and caping at the many state parks along lake superior is another great time. Grand Marais and beyond. Air conditioned by the 40 degree water in the lake.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Scotland, Ireland,
in the US: Western Washington State, Montana
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Coastal Southern California... It gets hot starting about 10 miles inland... but on the coast you have the moderating forces of the deep pacific.

East coast of Sicily has great weather in the summer. Again - you have to be close to the coast. Pick a smaller, less touristic town and you'll save money. For example, we stayed in Riposto, Sicily last summer and had perfect weather. The 2 bedroom apartment we rented was awesome and cheap (relative to the rest of Italy) and walking distance from the train station.
http://www.etnatwinsriposto.altervista.org/sitoENG.html It was a great spot to explore Siracusa and Catania to the south and Taormina and Messina to the north. And there's a cool day trip train you can take that circumnavigates Mt. Etna. Airfare is the budget killer here.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm a fan of the Maine coast.
yes!

Met my DH in Maine. We spent several weeks there in the summers for years, staying at in-law's cottage. very low humidity. It is imperative to pack warm clothes (unless you want to shop thrift stores after you arrive) because the nights, and some of the days, can be quite cool in July.

....miss those trips/miss that weather
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you don't mind your dollar having an advantage:

Nova Scotia & PEI are great.
I'll bet Vancouver Island BC is nice, and I hope to go there sometime.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a great fishing trip up there in Boundary Waters area in late August 1970. I have heard the mosquitoes will carry you away in July.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

When it's the peak of the summer, there just aren't that many places in North America that aren't quite hot. We enjoy the Pacific Northwest along the coastline, including BC, so nicely chilled by the cold ocean currents coming down from Alaska. Locations way, way north are nice (Alaska, Churchill}. Gaining altitude is good - most of the Rockies are nice all the way up into Canada. When things heat up during the day a nice rain shower colla you right back down, and nights are crisp. I did visit the Canadian Maritimes one summer and it was very nice.

Interior continental US tends to get just as hot during high summer as down south where we live, and some areas have unbelievable summer humidity.

In Europe we tend to avoid peak summer because places get hot and AC can't handle it. But these are good times to visit the more northern countries like Netherlands and UK and farther north I suppose. I never mind visiting Amsterdam during summer months.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you don't mind your dollar having an advant

Nova Scotia & PEI are great.
I'll bet Vancouver Island BC is nice, and I hope to go there sometime.
Yes - Victoria was fantastic. Dry, but not hot. September highs in the 60s - wow!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I had a great fishing trip up there in Boundary Waters area in late August 1970. I have heard the mosquitoes will carry you away in July.
They can get big up there, and there are a few. However, if you can catch a few, and roast them over an open flame fire, they are delicious. There is nothing better than a prefect medium rare mosquito drumstick when camping.

In actuality, it is not that bad. And the experience of being there is worth every bit of it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Off the beaten path is Zacatecas, Mexico. Beautiful historic city in the high plains. Few Americans know of it. Fantastic dry climate. JMHO
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Not here in New Orleans, that's for sure! It was 83F with 89% humidity and a 60% chance of rain when I awakened this morning.

Fortunately I don't mind the weather here, but few if any people travel here in the summertime for the weather.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

I'd recommend Traverse City, MI, and any of the U.P. .. Mackinaw Island (an island which doesn't allow vehicles on it so bicycles and horses only), Pictured Rocks National Park near Munising, MI... due to the mineral deposits, the shoreline is breathtaking, the color of the water ..you'd assume you were in the Caribbean. Waterfalls, Lighthouses, tons of craft beer, liquor, fresh fruit stands on the super cheap, hiking, kayaking, boating, sandy beaches, fishing, camping.. theres also the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes which is really rather impressive.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm seeking out vacation destinations for the summer time. Places where it's usually mild - in the 70's during the day without a lot of humidity. We are in North Carolina and it gets oppressively hot and humid for much of the summer (July and August are the worst!).

I'm open to almost anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be a popular or touristy destination - off the beaten path is fine. Also open to multiple destinations in a region or country where we could stay for 2-3 weeks in each city exploring the area then move on to a new area.
Good suggestions above, but since you are open to anywhere in the world I'll add Queensland Australia. It is winter there in June and July, but is in the tropics and is the dry season. Days are usually in the low 70's, nights are never frosty. We have spent 4 weeks there 3 times now in June, July and August, the first two times taking our children with us (in 1989 and 1997), the last time on our own (2013). My sister and her family were there for 3 weeks last year in July and had the same weather experience.