Join Early Retirement Today

VAT Refund
Old 05-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VAT Refund

While it won't apply to me, this article caught my eye. It's "How to get a refund on European Value Added Taxes."

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/chic...82772061522761

Who knew?

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Absolutely. Most European airports make it easy to find the place where you file it.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Does this work, I have read from various places that when you go to get the stamping done, the office that handles that at the airport is closed or in the other terminal, etc.
All sorts of ways to make it difficult to do.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

It works for me in London. We did this multiple times already. I only saved Big item. The trick is going to be after Brexit.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Does this work, I have read from various places that when you go to get the stamping done, the office that handles that at the airport is closed or in the other terminal, etc.
All sorts of ways to make it difficult to do.
Yes, it does work, and yes, I'm guessing they are not HIGHLY motivated to make sure it is super easy to claim the refund. That said, at Heathrow in London it is pretty easy
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We've used it several times. It can be an adventure though. In one case the stamping office required us to show the actual items along with the usual forms and receipts (to prove they were being exported). They'd been packed in checked luggage, so lost out that time. In another, travelling out of France at CDG, the lines were so horrendous that we did not have time to get the necessary stamps and make our flight (I hate checking in at CDG and try very hard to avoid that airport...)

All that said, in most airports the biggest challenge is finding the office and that is usually solved with a quick question to security personnel.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Sounds better, especially after reading this
http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...leaflet_EN.pdf

Maybe all places have a before and after security check office ?

The fees seem to take a big chunk of the refund, but maybe it was just Travelex fees that do.

What % of the taxes paid do people actually get back ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

I got back all of it. But not food and hotel. They don't give back VAT on those. I didn't have to show my items either.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

At CDG the refund line was maybe one hundred feet long (not exaggerating). Hopeless, and probably by design.

I had all the paperwork so I contacted the local French counsel after I got home. He said he'd be happy to send me the refund forms but that he himself had never been successful in getting a VAT refund. (!) So I gave up.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

As an FYI this worked for me years ago leaving SYD - I had to buy clothes - lost suitcase - and was able to show the receipts and get a refund at the airport.

I did not show the items since they were packed - the rep said if it was an expensive electronic item they would want to see it.
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a problem with this.

Just as an example, last time we were in Iceland (2014), we did quite a bit of shopping. Such wonderful sweaters, other woolen goods, art, etc.

Going through the airport as we left, the VAT desk was right in our faces and doing the paperwork took less than a minute. Just had to show the receipts, not the items. Piece of cake. The full amount was credited to my card immediately.