Join Early Retirement Today

Venice & Barcelona Trip
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Venice & Barcelona Trip

All,

Going to be spending 4 days in Venice and 5 Days in Barcelona with the Kids (16 & 19) at the Beginning of May as part of a family vacation. We have the Travel books and my daughter has been to Venice, but any suggestions of favorite activities or place to see or eat that are not in the top five obvious stops? Just trying to make sure we don't overlook anything.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived outside Venice for 3 years and always go back to the public gardens on the east side of the main island in the Castello neighborhood. The vaporetto stop is Sant'Elena. You can also easily walk there from St Mark's Square. Just go to the water, turn left, and follow the water up and down the bridges (looking at the really cool, super expensive yachts along the way) until you get to green space. The kiosks selling tourist stuff made in China will soon peter out, and you will be in a real part of the city. This is a part of the city empty of tourists and full of locals. This is where they host the Biannual Art Festival (sorry, it's next year). Since it's for locals, the prices on food/drinks are more reasonable than the tourist area.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In Venice just make sure you get out into Canneregio, maybe walk to the Fundamenta Nouve (wher you can catch a Vaporetto to see Murano/Burano). You can walk there easily. It is nice to get away from the crowds near San Marco and Accademia, et al., which you will see plenty of coming and going if you stay there. There are some good restaurants in Castello (easy walk from St Marks). IIRC, Osteria Alla Staffa was one we stumbled on and liked on our last visit.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

In Barcelona, DO visit La Sagrada Familia. You can buy tickets online and bypass the waits when you get there. We also took the train to Valencia for a long day. Valencia is a beautiful city and the train service in Spain puts the US to shame.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a kid thing but have a nightcap in the bar of the Hotel Danelli in Venice. Interesting characters! I also like the little beach town of Sitges outside Barcelona.
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of Venice you can enjoy just by walking around!

If I had had the time, I would have visited the glassworks in the island of Murano. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ass_island.htm
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If I had had the time, I would have visited the glassworks in the island of Murano. Murano, the Glass Island - A Travel Guide - Venice for Visitors
My brother has two chandeliers from Murano...similar to this one
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Trip was great...would have eliminated the Paris leg as I have been there too many times now.

Venice was really cool, like no other place I have ever been. Like the lack of noise from vehicles. Easy to get away from crowds. Walking Venice at night is the best.

We visited Murano and Burano and purchased our own chandelier.

Barcelona is truly a great city. No sign of the financial wows plaguing the rest of the country. It has everything and very live-able.

Did the airbnb and vbro for accommodations since we were four. Would do it again as our locations in all three cities were second to none and averaged $200/nt.