Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think people that take the river cruises want different things then ocean cruise people. I want a lot of entertainment options and choice of tours/excursions. I could care less if my guide has a master's degree. I asked the people at our dinner table last cruise who were all well educated professionals and they all thought the same way. So I really think it depends what you are looking for. Now I would never take a Carnival cruise because of all the horrible stories.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We like to take a leisurely exploration of a section of Europe, taking 3 to 4 weeks and spending 4 to 6 nights in various destination cities that we use as bases for regional transportation. This helps reduce the constant packing and unpacking. We like to have plenty of time to to explore each city, but also like to do day trips to explore outlying areas. We can usually find locally guided small-group minivan tours for those day trips, but we will go on our own if the transportation logistics are straightforward. We usually go from base city to base city by train, although we will fly if the distance is great enough.

We stay in nicer hotels and really enjoy the regional culinary delights in each city.

Did an extensive one in southern France/Provence/Cote d'Azur last year followed by a week in Barcelona with a quickie stop in Carcassonne on the way. It was fabulous!

I spent 3 to 4 months, many hours a day planning that trip. Thus my sig line.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

When we go to Europe we don't take cruises. I do all the planning. We spent 10 days just in Rome and then 14 in the Tuscany area. The 2 times we were in Poland we split the 2 weeks each between Krakow and the small town my DIL is from. It does take a ton of time to plan all of it.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have done 2 river cruises so far. Amsterdam to Vienna on Uniworld and France (2 cruises actually) with Viking. One problem with the Rhine and Danube is that it is bursting at the limits with river cruise ships and thus the shore excursions get crowded with way too many groups. It was a much smaller problem this past August in France (Seine tour and then a Rhone tour). The crowds were a lot smaller in France, partly because there are less boats on the rivers and partly because France is still in a state of emergency and tourism is down.

Overall, we liked Uniworld better because my perception is that Uniworld has smaller shore excursion groups and perhaps better guides and they pay for some of the more lucrative docking stops. The all inclusive option is also nice. Viking had larger shore excursion groups (30 or so to a group) and they didn't always have the best docking stations (often miles away necessitating buses to get us to the tour spot). Overall though, I don't know if the circa 50% premium Uniworld charges is worth it....since the ships, crews and food are on the same level.

We like river cruising since our hotel room and meals are always 'there', and it moves with us. We absolutely hate checking into and out of hotels and managing luggage and cannot imagine lugging stuff across Europe. We also like the intimacy of small ships where you really do get to meet interesting people (when there is only 100-200 passengers) and the crew to passenger ratio is high. Even the crew get to know you.

We are hooked on river cruising and will do more. The Mekong is on our list as is the Yangtze, and perhaps the Amazon. We've done one short ocean cruise on a 'biggie' ship and didn't like the crowds nor being just another number in a listless cast of thousands.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will admit my bias about Viking, based by an interview with the owner some years ago.
He put all these "longships" on the Rhine, and there are so many they have to be "rafted". Where you are not docked, but tied up to another ship. To get to shore to have to go through the other ships, either their lobby, or their top deck.
There is something for everyone, especially as you age. In your 20's you can backpack through Europe, sleeping in hostels, etc.
At our age, we are more interested in creature comforts, as not having to drag our luggage through train stations to hotels.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
We have done 2 river cruises so far. Amsterdam to Vienna on Uniworld and France (2 cruises actually) with Viking. .....

Overall, we liked Uniworld better because my perception is that Uniworld has smaller shore excursion groups and perhaps better guides and they pay for some of the more lucrative docking stops. The all inclusive option is also nice. Viking had larger shore excursion groups (30 or so to a group) and they didn't always have the best docking stations (often miles away necessitating buses to get us to the tour spot). Overall though, I don't know if the circa 50% premium Uniworld charges is worth it....since the ships, crews and food are on the same level.

I have to wonder, if you noticed a bus difference because you are comparing different rivers and Countries ?

We did the Amsterdam to Budapest (past Vienna) river cruise, and most times docked at the town center.
We were bussed at some places, like Vienna , but DW and I went off on our own later and took the subway back to the dock.
We found the buses were used to save folks from walking too far, or up a great big hill to see the Marksburg Castle.
At Koblenz we rode on a sort of a fake train/tram that you see in a zoo, of course you could walk if you wanted, but it was probably 3/4 -> 1 mile, and we thought the tram was fun and would save our legs for climbing up to the castle later.

Most of our bus rides to get to a location were were very short, so short that I can barely recall them, as they were a non-event, and didn't take away from the trip at all.

What I didn't like much, was the included tours, that turned out to be a bus ride to see an overview of the city, where we didn't get off, I called it drive-by-touring.

They were very very nice buses.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #47

Quote:
He put all these "longships" on the Rhine, and there are so many they have to be "rafted". Where you are not docked, but tied up to another ship. To get to shore to have to go through the other ships, either their lobby, or their top deck.
On occasion our ship was "rafted" but this was absolutely a non-issue for us. Meant walking an extra 37 feet if our ship was on the outside.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
On occasion our ship was "rafted" but this was absolutely a non-issue for us. Meant walking an extra 17 feet if our ship was on the outside.
The problem with being rafted is, after paying $$ more for a balcony cabin, the only thing you see is the balcony on the ship you are rafted next to, There is a total lack of privacy. Also, you may have to go through more than one ship to get to the dock.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Our ship was rafted 2 or 3 times, sometimes you are the one on the land side, so it's just like not being rafted, except for your view.
We had an lower room so we wouldn't sit in our room anyway as the view was best from the top deck, or we were out touring.
Once, probably the first time we were rafted, it was confusing for me, as there were no arrows telling me to go up and cross the top deck of the ships to get to mine, that was pretty odd and strange.
However it did allow me to have a great conversation with people from the other ship, which was not a Viking ship.

It's important to note, you can end up rafting with ships from different companies, so this is really a result of the popularity of the river cruises, and not because 1 company has too few docks.

Our ship would re-position itself most times when rafted, to be on the land side of a raft, if we were going to all disembark on a tour, I'm thinking all the ship companies do this to avoid having 150 people walk through the other ship.

Being rafted is to me a minor issue, a LOT less of an issue than standing in line at the airport.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

OK - that wild Viking World Cruise listed in another thread!

Quote:
Viking Ocean Cruises has announced that their soon to be completed cruise ship, Viking Sun, will sail a second epic 128 day cruise world cruise that will visit five continents, 21 countries, 44 ports, and 10 overnight port stops.

Prices for Viking’s World Cruise start at $49,995 per person and include Business Class air, transfers to and from the ship, all gratuities and service fees, complimentary visa service, free luggage shipping services for embarkation, and Viking’s Silver Spirits beverage package covering virtually all drinks on board.
https://cruisefever.net/cruise-ship-...ve-continents/
Old 10-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes I think that is exactly it. The European cruises are a sampler for which places to return for a few days. That is how we use cruises.
Agree. This is why we stopped doing cruises for a while. We had so many places we wanted to visit but wanted to spend more time at. Also, we found cruises were a little restrictive. Ie too many rules. When you ate, where you ate, what you ate, when the shows were, etc. I like to be in control and cruising took a little control away. Clearly a personal view.

Took the QM 2 to France last month and it was quite good. Obviously ports of call not an issue. Still a lot of rules and interactions with people in authority. On the other hand, the canal barge was fabulous. Our party the only passengers. 6 crew. I felt like I was the captain.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have to wonder, if you noticed a bus difference because you are comparing different rivers and Countries ?
Agreed the buses were wonderful coaches and we had no real objection on a 30 minute bus ride, but no, it was not just the different rivers and countries. In France, as an example, when we went to Arles, our Viking ship actually docked at Avignon and we were bused to Arles. And yet in Arles, there were river cruise ships docked at Arles....and those passengers could just walk straight into Arles.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

When I have done river cruises with Uniworld, the Viking ships were docked very close by. I agree that the Viking tour groups tend to be larger, from what I saw (and their ships hold more passengers). I have not cruised with Viking so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I have friends who have done both Viking and Uniworld and every one of them prefers Uniworld.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #54

My parents just rebooked a Viking Euro River. They took their first this summer going from Switzerland thru germany, ending in Amsterdam. Next year they are going the danube route, starting in budapest.

They noted that at each dock, it seemed like Viking had more "red carpet" type treatment. They were thrilled with the service, food, boat condition, everything, and this was their first real cruise.

I'm happy they've found something new they like, Dad is getting to where he's just not comfortable driving rentals around unfamiliar places, but Mom likes to take long trips with multiple side-journeys, so this is perfect for them.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

One thing about Viking river cruise that I didn't like, was the overpriced option to extend your stay 2 or 3 nights at the beginning or end of a cruise.
Example Amsterdam 2 extra nights (in a hotel) $549 pp - so we are talking ~$1,100 per couple and it includes breakfast and some walk around tour. But really the hotel probably includes breakfast for any guest.
That hotel is available for 221 Euros per night with breakfast so the real cost for the hotel would be $508 per couple, add a $100 for a tour (or two) and it's still saving $500.

And if you wanted to stay a week arranging your own stay somewhere, then they are fine with that, but want to charge you an extra $100 for NOT taking you to the airport
Old 10-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Cruise extensions are often absurdly priced - it isn't just Viking.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Cruise extensions are often absurdly priced - it isn't just Viking.
+1
Those extensions are for people who prefer a "seamless" experience. We spent a few days post cruise in Amsterdam, strictly DIY, and did it for 1/3 of what the cruise line wanted.AltaRed commented about where Viking docked near Arles. On our cruise we docked in Arles and could walk across a square to a market.
IMO, the worse Viking cruise in the Russian River cruise. During the days in Moscow and St. Petersburg, you are bused from the ship to town through the horrendous traffic. In our cruise, we were put up at hotels in both cities. Big difference.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

We did the Viking Rhine river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel May 2017. It was our first river boat cruise and throughly enjoyed it. Have done plenty of ocean cruises with the mega lines.....this was completely different. Spent three days in Amsterdam pre cruise and three days in Switzerland post cruise on a DIY basis. Wonderful time looking forward to the next adventure maybe Imperial China on Viking.
Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #59

That's exactly the one we did beginning of September.
Loved Amsterdam and Lucerne. Probably won't be doing another formal guided trip any time soon because we found so many places we want to explore on our own. Viking does an excellent overview.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #60

Just finished a Amsterdam to Budapest trip on Avalon. Saw a lot of Vikings on the 3 rivers. They pretty much have a boat visiting any city on a navigable river.
We did an eight day trip with Viking last Oct on the Elbe in much small vessel than what they use on the big rivers--only a 100 passengers capacity.
Based on our Avalon trip we would probably do a river cruise again more likely with Avalon than Viking. Pluses to Avalon for slightly larger cabins, beds oriented to water, much better wines and better local guides. Avalon has a more "relaxed" approach with how you choose to use your shore time than Viking. Because we had previously visited a couple of the cities, we pretty much did our own thing when our vessel stopped. No issue-just check out and be back before the ship leaves were the only limitations.
One of the things we learned in dealing with both companies is not to get "seduced" by their airfare offers to get you to book. We heard too many horror stories from fellow passenger about routings from Hell. Both companies play games with airport transfers--basically saying you have to pay a big premium if you do not book air with them. For example, arrive a few days early in a departure city will cost you over $100 extra for the privilege of them meeting you at the airport and transporting to vessel. Our cab fares never even came close and we made it fit our schedule.
On the just completed Avalon trip, we had a 7:30 am flight for our flight from Budapest and were told to be at airport at 5:30. Cab cost us 30 E. We get there and see several folks from the trip. The "group departure" left the vessel at 3:30 am--apparently some of them had earlier flights, but anyone close got combined into one trip to save bucks for Avalon versus scheduling two trips--coaches are expensive if you don't fill them up.
We enjoyed the trip especially only unpacking once in 2 weeks.
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote