Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #21

I was flying to Montreal with a friend for a long weekend. We were flying USAir, and another friend was driving from upstate NY to meet us the next morning. Air Canada had a strike - which caused a surge of need for seats on our US Air flight. We held out till they offered R/T tickets anywhere in the continental US *and* hotel accommodations at the airport so we wouldn't have to commute home and back again for the early morning flight. We still arrived at our Canadian hotel 30 minutes before our friend.

I used my r/t ticket to fly from PHL to SEA so my bff could start fitting my wedding dress (she made it for me.) On the return I got involuntarily bumped... so they put me in first class on the next flight and ... another free r/t ticket. I used that one to fly out to visit my parents not long after the wedding.

So - paid for one ticket, got 2 more, and one upgrade to first class.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's one explanation of why and how people get bumped and your rights.

It advises people not to volunteer since the compensation for being involuntarily bumped is much greater than what is usually offered to volunteers.

https://www.getairhelp.com/en/blog/h...medium=content
This one is making recent rounds on the tubes.

I think A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush applies to this situation.
Chances are better that they'll get more than enough volunteers than you rolling the dice to hold out for the larger compensation, which is in no way guaranteed.
Unless you can convince other passengers to not volunteer (good luck), you won't be getting anything except a full aircraft. At best, you might get a slightly elevated voucher than those who jumped first. This all depends on how much info the gate agents have let slip (e.g. how many volunteers they need) and how closely you are paying attention.

IMHO, sit close to the gate agents and be first to volunteer.

----

FWIW, my DW was flying (Emirates) alone via Dubai and volunteered to get bumped 24 hours on the connection to her final destination. She got a nice equivalent airfare (from her origin, which was not Dubai) voucher good for one year. My guess is that it was worth at least $800, possibly twice that.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was flying to Montreal with a friend for a long weekend. We were flying USAir, and another friend was driving from upstate NY to meet us the next morning. Air Canada had a strike - which caused a surge of need for seats on our US Air flight. We held out till they offered R/T tickets anywhere in the continental US *and* hotel accommodations at the airport so we wouldn't have to commute home and back again for the early morning flight. We still arrived at our Canadian hotel 30 minutes before our friend.
<snip>
Good, somewhat counter-example to what I said. Key part is probably the "surge" (which I'm inferring to mean significantly more than 4 or 5 seats). You can probably get 4 or 5 people to volunteer off the bat. However, if you somehow know there may be more volunteers needed, then delaying might mean a better deal.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo89 View Post
Seems like this is happening more and more often. I fly 5-10 times a yr for work and lately it seems like the planes are getting more and more packed... The last 4 trips I've been one have had every leg sold out. It also seems like the planes are getting smaller and smaller.
On two flights from Houston to Amsterdam and another returning on a HUGE plane - a 777 - every last seat taken. I got used to this and started booking cross aisle seats as the only tolerable way to endure the trip.

Imagine my amazement when this past June, the 4th time, AMS to IAH, the plane was not full. Many economy+ seats weren't taken. We realized the boarding was done, I had two free seats between me and the window. So DH was able to move to my aisle seat, me to the window and we had a free seat between us. Seemed like such a gift! Especially for a 10.5 hr flight.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah hah! We all talk about saving the environment and being green, but the truth is that we wish it only for the other fellows. Yeah, let them crowd into tiny airplane seats, elbows in each other's side. Let them take public transportation, live in tiny houses, eating low in the food chain.

But for us, we want a big home cooled by AC, a fast car, and nice juicy steaks. Hypocrites, we all are.
Only true if you claim to want to save the environment and be green. I tend to believe we'll use up all the resources, die off, and the environment will be jut fine in the blink of a geological eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo89 View Post
Seems like this is happening more and more often. I fly 5-10 times a yr for work and lately it seems like the planes are getting more and more packed... The last 4 trips I've been one have had every leg sold out. It also seems like the planes are getting smaller and smaller.
DW is very paranoid about getting sick on planes, as her respiratory immune system tends to be weak. We usually fly Southwest, which has stadium seating, not assigned seats. Many of the planes are nearly full, but if there is even a single empty seat you'd be amazed at how well wearing a surgical mask and the blue nitrile gloves works for making sure nobody sits next to you. If it looks like they are thinking about it a coughing fit usually seals the deal.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding post 7, the airline was Continental.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Only true if you claim to want to save the environment and be green. I tend to believe we'll use up all the resources, die off, and the environment will be jut fine in the blink of a geological eye...
That is true. When we use up all the oil and mined metals and humankind ceases to exist, all our cities will revert back to jungle (for example, Ohio used to be all forest), or desert for the Southwest and much of California. Just like we were never here. Well, there will be some relics like solar panels in ruin (glass does not decompose), and garbage dumps, but there will not be any intelligent life left to dig around, will it?

I would not think dinosaurs will get resurrected, but some mammals will roam the earth again. They have no need for oil, coal to burn for electricity or heat, or lithium to make laptop batteries. Yes, the earth will be fine. All the dams will eventually collapse, and the rivers will run free again.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #28

We took vouchers several years ago. Overbooked flight to Hawaii. DW snarfed up the vouchers. And we were bumped to an earlier flight than the one we were supposed to be on. Problem was that our original flight was nonstop, and the flight we were bumped to had a few hour layover. And there wasn't enough time to reroute our bags from the original flight to our bumped flight. Our original flight got to Hawaii a couple of hours earlier than our bumped flight, and our bags were still circling the carousel when we got there.

Vouchers worked out well though - round trip tickets anywhere in US. No restrictions, went to San Diego with the vouchers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum