Join Early Retirement Today

Volutarily Gave Up My Seat Yesterday for $500 Voucher
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Volutarily Gave Up My Seat Yesterday for $500 Voucher

It's good to be retired and flexible. I took a redeye into Newark yesterday arriving at 8am but when I got there my next flight to Pitts got cancelled so I was rebooked for a 1:40pm flight. I was on standby for a 10am flight but so were 20+ other people. It was very entertaining watching people on standby trying to talk their way into getting higher on the standby list. And for some people their story worked. I didn't get on the 10am flight but had a seat for the 1:40 so I was good. Right before boarding on the 1:40 flight they asked for 3 volunteers to give up their seat for a a $500 travel voucher. Hell ya! So I was rebooked for a 6:20 flight instead. In addition to the travel voucher the ticket counter lady gave me two $7 meal vouchers and upgraded me to 1st class on the 6:20 flight. When the 6:20 flight was boarding I saw people from the original cancelled flight on board who finally made it onto a flight. I suspect I was the only one who got a voucher though.

I saw a few pissed off people during my 8 hours in Newark Airport yesterday but I wasn't one of them.

It's good to be retired.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I also love the flexibility ER has given me to take advantage of such opportunities.

Glad it worked out so nicely for you.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's good to be retired.
Sweet story. I'm always ready to take advantage of such flying deals but have yet to luck up as you did. BTW, you have a good PT j*b.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully things have changed. I was excited to get a $400 voucher a few years ago when I had some flexibility. But when I went to book my free flight, there were so many restrictions I regretted volunteering. I had to take a red eye to even use the voucher. Again I hope for your sake things have changed.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/09/flex...e-weekly-wish/

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

And my situation did not have a happy ending either.

I was told, by phone, if I took a later flight I would get a $100 voucher towards my next booking.

Never came in the mail. Never credited to my cc. On the phone four different times, to the tune of 10 hrs trying to get my voucher, and finally hung up and gave up.

NEVER AGAIN!!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you get the offer , get the voucher and run!!!! Last year , my boss volunteered to be bumped on a very late, overbooked flight,in exchange for a voucher ..........

While the gate agent was finishing his paperwork , an obnoxious woman who was a confirmed passenger, started causing such a ruckus due to the flight being delayed, she was tossed from the flight , and removed by security. The gate agent then assigned her seat to my boss, so he lost the voucher Guess who was pissed off then !
Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
And my situation did not have a happy ending either.

I was told, by phone, if I took a later flight I would get a $100 voucher towards my next booking.

Never came in the mail. Never credited to my cc. On the phone four different times, to the tune of 10 hrs trying to get my voucher, and finally hung up and gave up.

NEVER AGAIN!!
The name of the Airline ?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I hate when there's no happy ending...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #9

This is a slightly different, but funny story:

I was on a flight and a young-ish girl came on with 4 or 5 bags. She was trying to get them into the overhead which was already pretty full.

Some chivalrous guy got up and proceeded to 1) take HIS bag out of the overhead and place it in the aisle, 2) stuff her things in and then 3) try to get his bag back in.

His bag now was going to be a very tight squeeze. At that point he was tying up the aisle, so the flight attendant came by, told him that there was obviously no room, politely scolded him for trying to cram a bag in there and ordered him to check his bag!

Sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing through the flight. No good deed goes unpunished!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, on a vacation trip to San Antonio, the morning flight was overbooked so they asked for 2 volunteers. We did, and 2 or 3 more also did. The gate agent picked us.

In return, he gave us two free domestic round-trip tickets to anywhere that that airline flied, and rebooked us to San Antonio on another airline which required us to go to a different terminal building. This flight turned out to be non-stop, and got us to San Antonio even sooner than the original flight which stopped in Dallas. How about that?

The funny thing was that our original tickets to San Antonio were already freebies from frequent miles (this airline did not have non-stop flights to San Antone). Heh heh heh...
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A bit tangential, but amusing....

About 20 years ago I was on an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Chicago. There were lots of kids. Fortunately there was a very competent young male flight attendant who went above and beyond, keeping the kids quietly amused, holding a baby while a parent retrieved some overhead luggage, etc. He was a natural. As we disembarked, the flight attendants stood close to the bulkheads to say goodbye to the passengers. His female colleague standing across the plane asked him to marry her and be the father of her children. He blushed bright red! I don't know whether he accepted, but it was a fun ending to a long flight.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #12

On one trip this year, I received a call, asking if we'd be willing to take another flight since the one we were on was overbooked. We were offered either a first class upgrade on the re-booked flight or $250 vouchers. Initially, we went for the vouchers, but when we saw that there were only middle seats available, we went with first class. The nice thing was that we were re-booked on the flight we originally wanted. The earlier flight we were bumped from was gotten because it was a cheaper flight.

On another flight, I was delayed 1 hour 59 minutes because they poached a flight attendant from our plane for an earlier flight due to an illness. I read on the airline website that they provide vouchers if your flight is delayed for more than 2 hours. Since they just beat that, I didn't expect anything. A few days later, I received an email with a $75 voucher code, apologizing for the delay. Just goes to show that some airlines do care about their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am shocked that airlines overbook...

Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I am shocked that airlines overbook...
Seems like this is happening more and more often. I fly 5-10 times a yr for work and lately it seems like the planes are getting more and more packed... The last 4 trips I've been one have had every leg sold out. It also seems like the planes are getting smaller and smaller.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here's one explanation of why and how people get bumped and your rights.

It advises people not to volunteer since the compensation for being involuntarily bumped is much greater than what is usually offered to volunteers.

https://www.getairhelp.com/en/blog/h...medium=content
Old 08-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo89 View Post
Seems like this is happening more and more often. I fly 5-10 times a yr for work and lately it seems like the planes are getting more and more packed... The last 4 trips I've been one have had every leg sold out. It also seems like the planes are getting smaller and smaller.
I agree, but it seems planes have been flying near/full for quite a while IME, following deregulation. The upside, planes are greener now by virtue of flying 83% full these days vs 49% prior to dereg...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I agree, but it seems planes have been flying near/full for quite a while IME, following deregulation. The upside, planes are greener now by virtue of flying 83% full these days vs 49% prior to dereg...
I know that number is "in aggregate", but I'd love to be on a flight only 83% full! Not a frequent flyer by any means, but haven't seen one that "empty" in a long while.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ah hah! We all talk about saving the environment and being green, but the truth is that we wish it only for the other fellows. Yeah, let them crowd into tiny airplane seats, elbows in each other's side. Let them take public transportation, live in tiny houses, eating low in the food chain.

But for us, we want a big home cooled by AC, a fast car, and nice juicy steaks. Hypocrites, we all are.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's one explanation of why and how people get bumped and your rights.

It advises people not to volunteer since the compensation for being involuntarily bumped is much greater than what is usually offered to volunteers.

https://www.getairhelp.com/en/blog/h...medium=content
Interesting details! We used to be professionals. We once got 27 free tickets on a round trip!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I once was on a Delta flight that was cancelled due to "equipment failure". I had to spend the night @ the MPLS airport but they eventually gave me a $200 Amazon gift card for the inconvenience. I did not feel like fighting them for more stuff (I bet I could have) but now know how it is to spend the night on the floor of an airport.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote