Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We booked apartments in Nice, Paris and Lucca, always through agents on VRBO. No problems at all. We ask the agents if we can contact a couple of prior renters. That always results in confidence.

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
We used VBRO 3 times in the last few years, all with no problems. A condo on the beach in SC, a single family home in CA and a single family home on a lake in WI. We only consider the most highly rated places and carefully read the reviews. Not sure if we'd use if for international travel but we'd definitely use it again for domestic. Haven't tried to negotiate at all. I've thought about it but in the end decided it wasn't worth the effort because the places all seem to be in demand and book up very quickly... this is also a good sign that we're choosing the right place.

panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have used it five times in The USA . All were good experiences . I always go by the reviews .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
We have used VBRO twice. The problem with that resource is that the owners are renting out their one property and it usually isn't 'serviced' at same level as a timeshare or hotel. For example: we rented on in HI. Evidently the cleaning lady left the lani slider open and a cat came in and sprayed the furniture. When we arrived it smelled of bad kitty and even the best of cleaning efforts couldn't solve the problem. The owner wasn't prepared to replace the furniture.
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...
We used last year and were pleased. I was nervous that it might be a scam because the owner, who we were dealing with, lived abroad.... but I checked the county land records to make sure that the owner of the unit I was renting was the same guy and I wrote the check out to him (actually deposited to his US bank account that he gave me the account number for). Place worked out fine.

We just sent out a deposit for this year's rental (different area then last year) and followed the same protocol and am crossing our fingers that it works out.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Nothing but good experiences domestically. Good experience in Canada and a great experience in Paris. We read the reviews - it turns out that many property owners post their property on multiple sites like homeaway, vrbo, etc. They'll tend to post the same description so find a key phrase and google it. That'll open up the door for even more reviews. That's not perfect of course, but we also never go with a property with zero reviews, either.
That's generally good advice, but a rule we broke when booking a place in Mexico City this past summer. The place was on Airbnb and had zero reviews. It looked really nice and was priced very competitively for the area. I contacted the owner and it turns out he just started renting his property and his very first tenant was wrapping up a long term rental of a few months, so there would be a review in a couple of days he says. Sure enough the reviews started showing up soon thereafter (he had a few more short term renters leave reviews).

We chatted back and forth about the property and I was convinced it was legit and a great deal. I also mentioned we were looking for a very clean place and he specifically mentioned the weekly professional cleaning by a real maid and the fact that the unit was only 2 years old.

Everything was perfect. We had booked elsewhere months ahead of time then the owner got sick and couldn't rent the place any more, so this zero review property was a last minute find to replace the rental that we lost.

Great place in a great location for an incredible price ($41/nt IIRC).
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
No problems for us, we have rented all around. I make sure to call the owner and ask a lot of questions.

BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote