Waiting on Passports

Packman

Recycles dryer sheets
In April, we had our luggage stolen, including our passports. We immediately applied for new passports on April 29 as we travel to Canada on June 13th. I messed up by not paying for expidited service, but we had almost 7 weeks between trips. After 3 weeks, I called the State department and added expidited service. We are now less than 2 weeks from our trip and the State department can't really tell us anything expect that they are in process. They have not charged my credit card for the expidited service. When I asked why, they said they wouldn't do that if they thought I would still get the passports in time. I'm freaking out now as we'll lose $5k if we can't go. I've signed up for email notifications from the State Dept, but so far have received nothing. Not sure what kind of notices they send.

Is there anything I can do? How do I know they haven't just lost my application, or are sitting on it? I just can't sit and wait. Suggestions?

I hope you ordered the passport cards as well as the regular passports.

The cards (wallet size) are perfectly fine for traveling to Canada.

Incidentally, if you did order them, they will come separately from the paper passports. They are produced and mailed from a different facility.

I hope you ordered the passport cards as well as the regular passports.

The cards (wallet size) are perfectly fine for traveling to Canada.

Incidentally, if you did order them, they will come separately from the paper passports. They are produced and mailed from a different facility.

fyi: Only true at land-based crossings. Thay can't be used to fly to Canada.

OP: My bet is you will get them in time but there will be a few sleepless nights as you wait

For what it's worth, I mailed a passport renewal application by regular first class U.S. mail on January 23 at the post office, the passport was issued on February 20 and I received it by mail on February 23. I did not pay for expedited service.

Last edited:
Well they should be on the way,but there was a national holiday.Also yours might take longer I wonder did you report the old ones stolen? You sound like experienced travellers do you usually keep your passport in your luggage.

Well they should be on the way,but there was a national holiday.Also yours might take longer I wonder did you report the old ones stolen? You sound like experienced travellers do you usually keep your passport in your luggage.

Yes, we reported the passports stolen the next morning. So they are just "replacing" them, which I would think would be faster than processing a new application.

Our luggage was stolen from a rental car via breaking the windows. It was stupid of me to leave them in my backpack in the car while we had breakfast, but who would think something like that could happen in a hour. Major lesson learned.

We received DH's passport in a little over 2 weeks from when the State Department received it. It was not expedited. He signed up online to get notification of progress but never got anything. He finally called at 2 weeks and they say - oh, it's already done and mailed back, you should get it in a couple of days. DH reported that their notification system still indicated they hadn't started the process. They couldn't explain it.

This was March/April.

Yes, we reported the passports stolen the next morning. So they are just "replacing" them, which I would think would be faster than processing a new application.

Our luggage was stolen from a rental car via breaking the windows. It was stupid of me to leave them in my backpack in the car while we had breakfast, but who would think something like that could happen in a hour. Major lesson learned.

Tough break! And rough lesson.

We received DH's passport in a little over 2 weeks from when the State Department received it. It was not expedited. He signed up online to get notification of progress but never got anything. He finally called at 2 weeks and they say - oh, it's already done and mailed back, you should get it in a couple of days. DH reported that their notification system still indicated they hadn't started the process. They couldn't explain it.

This was March/April.

I feel like our last renewal took about two and a half weeks door to door..but it was in early fall. Passports showed up about two days apart..

They must be slammed for the upcoming summer season. Probably got a huge bubble of requests after the quiet March period reported above.

DW put her renewal in almost 5 weeks ago and still no passport. The status says "yep, we got it, working on it."

DW is doing this for a trip NEXT summer, so we have time.

Don't forget the government shutdown probably suppressed renewals from people just waiting until it was over. I think the OP is just going to have a nail biter here and looking back probably should have tried for an in person renewal. I'm not sure that even an option for them at this point.

OP to actually answer your question the only thing you can do now (beside sit and wait) is see if your can use the in person renewal and travel to one of them..

Last edited:
There are always back office things going on, as well as the current environment, season, etc. It's unfortunate for OP what happened. We travel as if the worse will happen. Valuables go with me or her. Of course even then you can be robbed or lose your valuables. So, make as many precautions as possible.

We traveled recently, and when one of the foreign nationals arrived back here in the city. Her bag with EVERYTHING was stolen in a bar. They are just too trustworthy. Now, many consequences to pay.

Your elected officials can help expedite passport requests that are in process. If you live in Phoenix, as your profile says you do, then Senator Kyrsten Sinema's office or Senator Martha McSally's office should be able to help.

Here's the link to Sinema's page for requesting assistance:https://www.sinema.senate.gov/get-assistance

Here's McSally's page: https://www.mcsally.senate.gov/casework

Your congressperson should also have a similar page.

Your elected officials can help expedite passport requests that are in process.

^ this

While not related to passports, I needed the help of my local representative to get something done. Give them a call.

I recently renewed my passport and it only took three weeks.

Where were you when this happened, and how did you get back without passports ?

Sorry about that. Criminals have different thought process.
Our friends sat at a bar, which was almost empty. There guard was down (hungry and tried by the day's event). Another couple entered the bar (on video), and man went to restroom. His accomplice sat at bar and waited. Man returned from restroom, stopped just behind our couple, and knelt down to tie his shoes. You can fill in the rest.
They were fortunate in two areas. In a few days police returned keys and passport.

I know not everyone can do passports in person. If you get totally panicked and down to the wire, you can get your passports thru CIBT in as little as one day.

I used to use them a lot for business [visas] when I worked at UPS, and they are fantastic. It costs a few bucks, but it's not outrageous and totally worth it. You might want to call them just in case, to see what you would need at the last minute to make it happen. Regardless, they are a great travel resource for any entry questions.

Jusy for anyone reading, isn't this all too late now that the OP has paperwork in the system already?

I know not everyone can do passports in person. If you get totally panicked and down to the wire, you can get your passports thru CIBT in as little as one day.

Interestingly, I looked at their site, and a stolen passport is different from a renewal, which is what I was thinking might be the case.

I wonder, when OP phoned them, did the person on the other end of the line (the official) actually look up anything, or just give the standard answer of "in process". Did they confirm when they received it, something that shows they are actually looking at a status screen. etc..

Interestingly, I looked at their site, and a stolen passport is different from a renewal, which is what I was thinking might be the case.

I wonder, when OP phoned them, did the person on the other end of the line (the official) actually look up anything, or just give the standard answer of "in process". Did they confirm when they received it, something that shows they are actually looking at a status screen. etc..

That was my original thought it got pulled out of the new or renewal line and sent to the replacing lost or stolen passport line. That certainly could impact processing time.

OP here, they did confirm receipt of the passport application but still gave me the standard answer of "in process".

Update: I have been calling the passport office almost daily (my wife too, since we had both of our passports stolen). I get some new info each time, since I am asking different questions each time. But still no firm answer on when we might get our passports. Only 8 business days left before our next travel. They have now "escalated" our application and they have our next travel date in their system. They said they will send out the passports by priority mail when they are complete and we'll get a tracking number via email. They say to keep watching our credit card for when they charge the expidited fees. Today, they also said they have a 72 hour emergency process that can be used??

Thanks to all that have recommended options. The services that promise emergency rapid passports are not an option since the state department is already in process of replacing the passports. On Monday, I plan to contact our US Senator's offices - and perhaps drive there (100 miles), to see if they can help. But with the state of our political affairs these days, I'm not expecting much from them. In the meantime, we wait and worry. When we applied the standard wait was 4-6 weeks. They have now changed that to 6-8 weeks.

By the way, our passports were stolen here in the US so we could still get home with our drivers licenses. But it's a great question as to what happens if you lose them (or they are stolen) oversea's.

Today, they also said they have a 72 hour emergency process that can be used??
So can we assume you took them up on that?

But it's a great question as to what happens if you lose them (or they are stolen) overseas.
If that happens, you go to the nearest American embassy or consulate and they will take care of you. They do that sort of thing every day.

So can we assume you took them up on that?

If that happens, you go to the nearest American embassy or consulate and they will take care of you. They do that sort of thing every day.

I think they meant the OP should have used the emergency renewal at application time..too late now..processing in the system...words that strike fear in anyone's heart.

Back
Top Bottom