Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We used Sherpa Walking Holidays (now Sherpa Expeditions) for a 110 mile trek through Switzerland's Alpine Pass, and will be using them again this next summer to do the 225 mile coast-to-coast walk across England. Similar to what has been described above, they provided half-board lodging, luggage transfer and incredibly detailed walking guides. Best part of such an active vacation was eating non-stop and still coming home lighter than when we left.

Did this same trip with Sherpa as well 6 years ago - tough but fun.

Also used Inntravel for another Swiss hike before that - Grindelwald to Gstaad

It all comes down to the weather! You follow the same route and stay in the same inns no matter which company you go with

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
Sounds wonderful. Can you provide a link to their website and also the particular tour you took? What was the approx per day cost?
I'm traveling and don't have the website handy, but if you google "Sunstar hotels" you'll find it.

And somewhere on their website (under excursions or packages or something like that) you'll find their hiking program

They have two sets of packages, one in the Graubunder region and one in the Berner Oberland each for either 4 or 7 days. It comes to about $300/day for two, including half board (excellent 5 course dinners with many choices and wonderful breakfasts) in modern hotels with large rooms (usually with balcony), indoor pools, etc), all in beautiful settings. Also includes "transfer tickets" from Swiss border or airport to and from hotels and luggage transfers between hotels. Pretty reasonable for Switzerland! In Graubender it also includes local trains and lifts; but in BO you have to pay for this (even with discounts, somewhat pricey).

In Graubender we did the 4 day package (but added an extra night at the beginning) and in BO we did seven nights, but I expect they could also customize whatever you want. My wife discovered the chain on a business trip to the Davos Conference and took day hikes (which they also organize) on her off days.

We flew into Zurich after 3 days in London, used our train pass to get to Davos; hiked to Arosa and Linterheisen; and then used our pass to take the Bernina Express (wonderful) to Tirano, Italy. We caught a local train there to Varenna on Lake Como. We spent a week in Varenna and Lugano (2 hours by ferry and bus). Then we used our second transfer pass for the train to Wegen; hiked from Wengen to Grindelwald to Meirengrn; then trained back to Zurich (with a half day stop in Berne).

Like i said, a wonderful trip!

jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
jerryo, thanks!
Your itinerary makes sense. I had found their website earlier but didn't find any 3 week walking tour including Italy, so was wondering what you did...
Adding this to my potential 2017 summer plan.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is the link Jerryo was referring to:
Baggage-free hiking holidays | Self-guided Switzerland hiking tours

Has some pictures, a map, etc.

Jerry, thanks for the great suggestion. I like your northern Italy idea too. We were thinking of Amsterdam (nonstop fligths from SFO) next year and maybe could add this in. Still early planning.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets
Camino de Santiago in Spain. Rent or Netflix the movie The Way. I have done 4 different routes to Santiago. The French route is the most popular and runs from Saint Jean Pied du Port France to Santiago de Compostela. You can start anywhere along the 500 mile path. It is marked by yellow arrows and scallop shell markers extensively along it's entire length. Guide books are available on Amazon...recommend the John Brierley guides. I do DIY Caminos myself and stay in purpose built Municipal or parochial Albergues (5-7 euros/night) and carry my own gear...approx 15 lbs worth.....very manageable weight. But you can pay companies to handle all or some aspects of your trip....they will provide transport to start point and back from the end......carry your your lodging in B&B's or Casa Rurals up to classy hotels. You have but to do a google search to find an outfitter. The American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook is full of folks who have walked it, are currently walking it or seeking info on walking it. Also, tons of YouTube videos on the Way as well. Enjoy your walk and Buen Camino!

Bonesaw383 is offline   Reply With Quote