Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought the north shore tended to be cloudy and rainy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
someguy:

There are actually quite a few places in Oahu that fill your needs. A lot of them are on the "North Shore" which is actually a lot of little towns always a few miles apart. The are all level and then they have to Koolau mountains in the background for the more serious roads. https://www.google.com/search?q=kool...w=1366&bih=650

Another great area is mokuleia https://www.google.com/search?q=moku...w=1366&bih=650

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

For the most part, when it rains here it is for a short time, also, remember when it rains the temperature stays about the same. It could be raining and it is still 79 degrees. Now it is true there are the occasional true rain storms that will pass over Hawaii but those have a tendency to hit all of Hawaii so it won't really matter where you are if one of those hit, although it will still be in the high 70's....

Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

PS. I go to the North Shore quite a bit and I can't remember the last time it rained for more than 15 or 20 minutes.....although I am sure it has, just nothing to base your decision on..........
Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
someguy:

Probably the best way to really get an idea is to come and stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore (I have absolutely no affiliation with them) and explore the area. Please do not be tempted to stay in Waikiki and try to explore the North Shore from there. There are so many things wrong with that attempt that I could write a book on it....
I fell in love with this place from the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall! Glad to see your endorsement of Oahu. We've never been to Hawaii partly the multi-island logistics and decisions and extra costs were daunting, and I wondered why not just go to Oahu. So maybe we will!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I fell in love with this place from the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall! Glad to see your endorsement of Oahu. We've never been to Hawaii partly the multi-island logistics and decisions and extra costs were daunting, and I wondered why not just go to Oahu. So maybe we will!
Mila Kunis could make me forget Sarah Marshall...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Great idea! So many people come to Hawaii and just see Waikiki and think that is what Oahu is all about......anyone who lives here never goes to Waikiki......
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Hawaii, especially Oahu is OK for a short period of time, but if you plan a long term stay, there are ... limiting factors.

Having lived on the East side of Oahu for some years before returning to the Mainland I found it to be a bit limiting and expensive - and traffic now....well... If you are going for strictly the weather and relaxation for a short period (couple of months), and are sold on Hawaii, I suggest the Big Island or Kauai.

M
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm2 View Post
Hawaii, especially Oahu is OK for a short period of time, but if you plan a long term stay, there are ... limiting factors.

Having lived on the East side of Oahu for some years before returning to the Mainland I found it to be a bit limiting and expensive - and traffic now....well... If you are going for strictly the weather and relaxation for a short period (couple of months), and are sold on Hawaii, I suggest the Big Island or Kauai.

M
Or if you don't need to go to Honolulu on a regular basis, the North Shore, did you live in Aina Hina or Hawaii Kai?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Or if you don't need to go to Honolulu on a regular basis, the North Shore, did you live in Aina Hina or Hawaii Kai?
We lived in Hawaii Kai, when it was a bit nicer than it is now.

No major complaints, and we liked the locals, just not where we would select for retirement - got a bit of rock fever. If you have family there or do not plan to travel in retirement and desire Hawaii, I would still go for the outer islands - far less tourist traffic and congestion. Traveling from Hawaii anywhere such as Europe, etc, is much more expensive, if you plan that.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm2 View Post
We lived in Hawaii Kai, when it was a bit nicer than it is now.

No major complaints, and we liked the locals, just not where we would select for retirement - got a bit of rock fever. If you have family there or do not plan to travel in retirement and desire Hawaii, I would still go for the outer islands - far less tourist traffic and congestion. Traveling from Hawaii anywhere such as Europe, etc, is much more expensive, if you plan that.
I actually did live in Hawaii Kai and Nui Valley (Remember that small area?) When I lived on the outer Islands I found myself needing items or things I wanted to do that were all on Oahu, that is why I ended up here after Kona and Maui.

As far as travel goes, I leave Hawaii once a year for 2-3 weeks for Nevada so the travel thing also never hurt me.......I guess it is like they say, what works for one person may or may not work for another....

I am very lucky that in over 35 years I have never gotten rock fever although I am very familiar with people who have.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up living?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might want to consider something a little further south like Cozumel, Mexico. Very safe island with lots of condos to choose from. Rental properties were overbuilt during the last boom period and there are many owners who would love to rent their place for up to 3 months at a time. Lots to choose from so you could probably land a nice place on the water at a good price. Tons of good inexpensive restaurants, beautiful beaches and much, much more.

And December through March the average high temp is 80F and average low temp is 64F.

Cozumel Gallery, Cozumel Mexico Official Destination Website
Old 08-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I actually did live in Hawaii Kai and Nui Valley (Remember that small area?) When I lived on the outer Islands I found myself needing items or things I wanted to do that were all on Oahu, that is why I ended up here after Kona and Maui.

As far as travel goes, I leave Hawaii once a year for 2-3 weeks for Nevada so the travel thing also never hurt me.......I guess it is like they say, what works for one person may or may not work for another....

I am very lucky that in over 35 years I have never gotten rock fever although I am very familiar with people who have.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up living?
6 years now on Oahu and I have never gotten rock fever. It may be because we leave "the rock" once per year as does Kimo. Just knowing you can leave when ever you want to is enough for most folks to lose the "fever" that a few folks get. I will say, when I get back to the mainland, I DO enjoy just GOING someplace a good distance away (last year, vacationed from midwest to FL). Still, I believe I could live out my days and never leave again - not that I'll try that. It is definitely a personal thing - so recommend anyone considering a move to the Islands 1) explore the Island options 2) rent before you buy 3) Read Toni Polancy's book So You Want to Live in Hawaii: Toni Polancy: 9780966625301: Amazon.com: Books I found the book helpful and also correct on most subjects she covers.

For those only "snow-birding" to the Islands, I can not imagine "rock fever" setting in, but as always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But what about crime? Scary being so close to mexico and the bad stuff going on down there. Wasn't that young guy that got picked off his jet ski a couple years ago from around that area?
I don't know about Brownsville, but El Paso is right across the border from Juarez, supposedly one of the most dangerous cities in the world, yet El Paso has a low crime rate relative to other US cities. (I admit to being surprised myself when I learned of El Paso's low crime rate a few years ago.)

The cities (pop. 250,000+) in the table in the link below are in alphabetical order by city name:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indeed, Buffalo & Detroit appear to have much higher crime rates than El Paso or San Diego, which might lead some people to believe that it's a lot more dangerous to live near the Canadian border than the Mexican border.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lots of canadian snowbirders in beach towns on the west coast of mexico (San Carlos, mazatlan, puerto vallarta, etc). You can live pretty cheap down there, especially if you get away from the gringo ghettos.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
Lots of canadian snowbirders in beach towns on the west coast of mexico (San Carlos, mazatlan, puerto vallarta, etc). You can live pretty cheap down there, especially if you get away from the gringo ghettos.
I lived in Mazatlan before and there was a decent sized community of Canadians. Most are over 65 years old. It seemed like half the expats were Americans and half Canadian.

Hmmm, the Canadians considered Mazatlan a good wintering destination. It was getting down into the upper 40's almost every night in December. I couldn't believe how cold it was and I would never spend another winter there. When I asked the Canadians why they considered this good snowbird weather, they would always say, "Do you know how cold it is in Calgary right now!" Ha ha, nice comeback but I don't care how cold it is there, I am freezing my arse off here. Also, the water gets quite cold in the winter, down to the low 60's and it can get windy.

And the summers in Mazatlan were simply blazing, too hot, even though I like hot weather, it was extreme.

Southeast Asia weather is great in the North American winter, but I am biased ;-)

I did some of the same research and I didn't find any place in the continental USA a good wintering destination climate-wise -- every place is a compromise. Although the USA has some great summer weather.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
For the last five years, we've rented a condo across from the beach in Bonita Springs, FL. For only two months, buying anything doesn't make sense. We drive down in late January and drive home in mid-April, so for us the Chicago winter is only 2 months long. We can handle that.

We're getting slightly bored with the area, but have many friends who winter within 30 minutes drive from our place there and that counts for a lot.

Florida really is God's waiting room. And pretty crowded in winter.
If you go to central/north Florida, many things are nicer but the temps can get a lot colder. The difference between 60' and 70' is major.
Flagler Beach - between Daytona and St Augustine - is a gem that doesn't seem to have been discovered (just yet). Very reasonable housing prices, temperatures that are warmer than north Florida yet cooler than south, very clean quiet beaches, and situated about an hour or so from both Jacksonville and Orlando. Saying it's not been discovered is something of an understatement .... most days, it has the distinct feel of the 1950's-1960's to it. Much different than the gulf or the southeastern coast!