Warm in Winter?

KCCanuck

Confused about dryer sheets
Ok, so I am a Canuck who lives where we get a lot of snow some winters and cold weather every winter (not Vancouver!). As my achy joints were telling me how much they enjoyed the warmer climate we experienced on a cruise last winter, I am giving serious thought to becoming a snowbird and going "south" next winter for several weeks. The thing is, I don't really know where to go. I hear there are several snowbird communities but danged if I can find where they are and they are not the only options I have been told. People have recommended "Florida" for example but you know what? Florida is a pretty big place so maybe a little more precision would be nice.

So here I am just looking for peoples opinions, ideas, web pages, links, pictures, whatever you might like to share. After all, I am retired so I have lots of time to look!:)

You might start here:
Florida RV Park & Campground Index - Snowbird Resources
Google is your friend. Look for forums.

You might talk to some RV dealers in your area or try to find a local interest group.

When we lived in FL, the Lakeland Ledger Lakeland FL news, sports, weather and classifieds | TheLedger.com | Lakeland FL had a full page of Canadian news.

You could also just show up and look around for yourself. When visiting a new place, I like to have a purpose of some kind (looking for a place to stay next time, restaurants, etc.).

DO NOT go to Miami. Mucho peligroso.

Last edited:
Ok, so I am a Canuck who lives where we get a lot of snow some winters and cold weather every winter (not Vancouver!). As my achy joints were telling me how much they enjoyed the warmer climate we experienced on a cruise last winter, I am giving serious thought to becoming a snowbird and going "south" next winter for several weeks. The thing is, I don't really know where to go. I hear there are several snowbird communities but danged if I can find where they are and they are not the only options I have been told. People have recommended "Florida" for example but you know what? Florida is a pretty big place so maybe a little more precision would be nice.

So here I am just looking for peoples opinions, ideas, web pages, links, pictures, whatever you might like to share. After all, I am retired so I have lots of time to look!:)

First a few questions to tell us a bit more about you:
What types of activities do you like to do and interests do you have? What size of communities do you like? What type of vacation housing do you like? How warm (consistently) are you looking for? Are you looking to be near/on the water? What types of people do you like to socialize with age-wise or do you prefer being alone? Are you looking for many dining options or do you prefer to eat at home? etc.

omni

Tucson in particular is full of prairie Canadians in winter. Palm Springs and 29 Palms and areas like that in California's desert valleys south of I-10 are also really nice. Coastal CA can be chilly if you are looking to thaw out.

Florida is a long way from western Canada, but perhaps great for Ontarians and east.

Ha

Last edited:
I'd also suggest not tying yourself to any one place. Get a rental house or an RV in several different areas and see what you like.

The gold coast on Oahu is home for many Canadian snowbirds many of whom have been coming to spend a month or three in the winter for decades and actually form community. They watch hockey games, and rumor has it curling also :).

Last edited:
tell us a little more.I live in the Phoenix area.Very nice in the winter, geared for retirees and full of Canadians! (we love them)
Mike

I like them all (SoCal, Az, FL) for different reasons, however I haven't spent months there yet (one more year till my youngest is gone).

However, my thinking about this is changing. With the advent of homeaway/vrbo/airbnb and hotel apps (like hotel tonight/hotels.com/google), I think our first longer term ventures down south will be less structured than my thoughts from a few years ago. Having used all of these and no real problems, I would have no issues today leaving and having absolutely nothing booked, or just a few nights somewhere and play it all by feel. I thinks its doable now....might not always be perfect, but an adventure and those unplanned moments seem to be the best.

We bought down in La Quinta California in 2010, been snowbirding there since. Lots of Canadians around - you can tell, as they are in groups wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts while the locals shiver in hoodies and long pants and coats in the 70 degree weather. Be advised - spend very long there and you get pretty intolerant of modestly cool weather - but it gets to be 115+ around mid June, which is also beyond my tolerance level.

We ended up buying in central Fl in a gated community with RV storage. There are a ton of RV parks in the area that people snow bird.

Winters are mild ....many days in the 70's and occasionally in the 50's but usually does not last too long.

There are a whole lot of snowbirds who make their way down to southern california for the winter. I know a lot go to Arizona too. Theres a bit of a bite to the air at times in both states, but in comparison to Canada you'll probably feel like you're living in a tropical paradise.

We rented a fully furnished rental home for several years before buying one just last year in AZ - Trilogy at Vistancia in Peoria, Arizona. We absolutely flippin love it!! Check it out. But I agree - be sure to rent for a winter or two before deciding where you want to "land!" There is a website called VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) that you can look for furnished homes/apartments/condos for virtually any city/town all over the world!!

Had I been in your place I’d not stay just in one place.

Yeah, there's a lot to be said here! If we didn't have 2 cats to take with us (it's very hard to find a rental if you have 2 cats!!) - we'd continue to just use VRBO to find rentals and check out new areas every winter until/IF we found somewhere we wanted to settle - or just keep renting/rotating!! Truly the best scenario, IMHO!

For the last five years, we've rented a condo across from the beach in Bonita Springs, FL. For only two months, buying anything doesn't make sense. We drive down in late January and drive home in mid-April, so for us the Chicago winter is only 2 months long. We can handle that.

We're getting slightly bored with the area, but have many friends who winter within 30 minutes drive from our place there and that counts for a lot.

Florida really is God's waiting room. And pretty crowded in winter.
If you go to central/north Florida, many things are nicer but the temps can get a lot colder. The difference between 60' and 70' is major.

The gold coast on Oahu is home for many Canadian snowbirds many of whom have been coming to spend a month or three in the winter for decades and actually form community. They watch hockey games, and rumor has it curling also :).

I live here on Oahu and I couldn't agree more with this statement....

New in the forum

I like the people opinion. I was wondering never tired when you decide different places isn't tiring packing... unpacking...I don t know.. My first time it was 2 months 2011. In an nice community I got to know people living in the complex. I like beach but it depends on the person taste.

We spend 6 months/yr south of Tucson. There are a lot of canucks there in the winter. I gather most are from the west. However, we have a fair number of US that come from Mass, Maine, VT, NY, NJ. Maybe they don't like the humidity of FL. When I have asked a fair number of full-timers why they had moved from FL or the gulf of TX to AZ the common answer was "humidity".

We have a place in Paradise Valley Arizona. This is essentially Scottsdale. Love it but would agree you should rent for one season prior to buying. Arizona is very different from Florida. Probably a little cooler in the winter but much less humid. The dessert has its own beauty especially in the spring when everything is in bloom. Best months are Oct/ Nov. and Mar/Apr. Normal highs for Jan/Feb run high 60's low 70's Always sunny.

Scottsdale Nov 1 to May 1 for us. Can get a little nippy in Jan but overall the weather is great. No humidity and lots of sun. Bought a place a few years back when it was really cheap. Prices have come back on real estate but still some bargains relatively speaking. Lots of Canucks at our golf course!

Brownsville, TX is pretty cheap, plus you can't beat the food

Why not just move to the warmer location? I guess I have never understood the snowbird mentality, especially these days when all buildings, vehicles, and public places have climate control.

The expense, hassle, and emotional upheaval of moving twice a year sounds nightmarish to me; I'd rather stay year 'round in either of the two locations than to do that. To me snow-birding just sounds like the inevitable and ultra-expensive outcome of indecision about where to live, though I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

Back
Top Bottom