Join Early Retirement Today

Weak Euro - Time to Travel Western Europe
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weak Euro - Time to Travel Western Europe

With the Euro weakening, it is probably a good time to travel in Western Europe.

We are planning an extended trip in 2011... But 2010 may be very good.

Anybody planning any trips to Western Europe this year?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, come to Spain!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Administrator

I would love to go to Spain, although my young wife wants to wear out our welcome in Italy first (we have been there the last three years in a row).
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading to France and Switzerland later this summer.

Ck 6
Old 06-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I would love to go to Spain, although my young wife wants to wear out our welcome in Italy first (we have been there the last three years in a row).

Been to both several times.

If you go to Southern Spain... consider spending a few days on Mallorca (Balearic Island in the Mediterranean Sea).

DW and I are considering a couple of weeks in Italy later this year.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #6

I would have been in England right now for the Chelsea garden show, but I had my son cancel my flight due to volcanic ash considerations and airline strike uncertainties. I will possibly go later in the year. I was going to stay in my son's apartment(he is posted there by his American employer) so it wasn't a big deal to change my plans. And he had booked my ticket using his airline miles.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We arre planning a trip to England, France, Spain, and Portugal in Aug. and Sept. These are all places we have not been before. We are really excited about the trip. We will spend 14 days on a cruise ship and a week in Paris and London.

In the Spring of 2011 we will take a TA cruise from Galveston to Barcelona. We plan to stay in Spain and France for a week or two. We are just planning out where we want to go and see on that trip.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We'll be there for ten days in July--have prepaid some arrangements in euros this week at such a better exchange rate than last time we were there! There was a discount to prepay so I hope that offsets any further slide.

Besides the conversion rate being attractive, I wonder if tourism will be down some in general and there might be some more bargains as a result.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #9

It's not the Euro, but the pound is pretty weak also and we're going to England next month.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
In the Spring of 2011 we will take a TA cruise from Galveston to Barcelona. We plan to stay in Spain and France for a week or two. We are just planning out where we want to go and see on that trip.
We may do something like this. TA cruise to or from Europe (in spring or fall, respectively), then fly the other way using frequent flyer miles for one way plane tix.

The cheap euro/GBP is what is tempting us, even though the euro still isn't nearly as low as it was way back when (under USD 1.00). We have wanted to go for a while, but I wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself paying $7+ for a cup of coffee or little snack, or big bucks for other trivial little things (too value conscious). Too many other desirable and inexpensive places to see in the world in the meantime.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Too many other desirable and inexpensive places to see in the world in the meantime.
Viva El Salvador!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Viva El Salvador!
Not at the top of my list, but I'm sure there are nice parts, and it is desirable to some.

Thailand has temporarily been scratched off my list of "desirable" places.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's not the Euro, but the pound is pretty weak also and we're going to England next month.
We're going there on Monday for almost 3 months.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #14

Just got back from Italy. Instead of outragious it was only very expensive. Next it's Turkey. Paying in Euros so will be cheaper than originally planned. Agree about Thailand. Was going there in Oct but have now deferred till April next year. Great time to travel to Europe-including UK.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
We arre planning a trip to England, France, Spain, and Portugal in Aug. and Sept. These are all places we have not been before. We are really excited about the trip. We will spend 14 days on a cruise ship and a week in Paris and London.

Good plan. We did a TA cruise in 2007. A great way to get there-no jet lag. Also, as they tend to be repositioning cruises they are much less expensive. We went Regent and it was pretty good. Ended in Barcelona-great city.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The weak pound will help... but prepare yourself for sticker shock. It is expensive!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How is your FIL doing, Alan? I imagine Mrs. Alan is anxious to get there.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Spain! But it will be next year. I'm counting on the Euro to stay lower for a while.

Audrey
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am heading that direction this summer (mid-July through mid-August). Western Germany (Cologne) and southern Ireland (around the Dingle dangle) are the only certainties for me at this point; I am welcoming all suggestions for off the beaten path must-sees.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The weak pound will help... but prepare yourself for sticker shock. It is expensive!
Not too bad for us as we usually bum off relatives most of the time

Last year we went for 3 weeks in the summer as all 3 of our surviving parents were in their late 70's and early 80's. Although they were all relative healthy and we had been over less than 18 months before, we decided that we'd better go as at that age, you never know.

MIL died in October so we were over for 2 weeks, and then my Dad died the week before Christmas so I spent 10 days over then.

Now, FIL is in hospital with terminal cancer so we are going over as he probably only has a few weeks left. We had flights booked for July 7, for a long visit so we've pulled it forward to June 7 instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
How is your FIL doing, Alan? I imagine Mrs. Alan is anxious to get there.
We did a webcam with her brother today and her Dad is pretty much unchanged. It is lymphona and at almost 86 there are few treatment options as he is very weak. There were no symptoms until his legs gave way under him and he felt really poorly. He was a great walker and really fit so it is a big surprise to everyone, as he just has never been ill in his entire life.