Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What are your vacation plans for '07
Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Other than USAFA, anyone have any suggestions?
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute just about fits your criteria. Womens BB, ROTC, and undergrad enrollment of ~5,100. I spoke with the former civil engineering dept. head (who's now the new dept head of civil engineering at my alma mater) for about an hour over lunch a few months back. He seemed to talk up RPI pretty good. Otherwise, I have no knowledge or experience with RPI.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute just about fits your criteria.
Excellent, thanks-- she has this infatuation with snow, too, so RPI would be right up her alley...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #63

Nords,
You and your daughter may have already thought of University of Denver. Not sure if it's a great engineering program or not. What I do know is they have an excellent scholarship program for their top applicants. Full tuition and entrance to the "honors" undergraduate curriculum, which means small classes and professors, no TAs and large lecture classes.

She might enjoy Denver since it's grown up quite a bit during the past decade. The light rail goes from campus directly to downtown now.

Good luck!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
You and your daughter may have already thought of University of Denver. Not sure if it's a great engineering program or not. What I do know is they have an excellent scholarship program for their top applicants. Full tuition and entrance to the "honors" undergraduate curriculum, which means small classes and professors, no TAs and large lecture classes.
Great, thanks-- not too far from her Boulder uncle.

She has a website/database that searches for these criteria, but getting a 14-year-old to do the queries and then look at a vacation schedule is like pulling teeth. If I can dangle these little travel opportunities (RPI in NY, Denver, and so on) then she's motivated to do the work.

I can't complain. When I was that age, college was just a place you went to scam free beers and try to pick up hot chicks... of course when I actually went to college, I found out that not much had changed.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

College road trip 2007.

Our kid (just finished 9th grade) searched Princeton Review's ECOS database with the following criteria-- under 10,000 students, good engineering program, and a women's basketball team. She cross-referenced that to a Navy list of college ROTC units and came up with Notre Dame, Carnegie-Mellon, and Rensselaer (which I am going to have to learn how to spell-- oh, here it is-- "RPI").

They all have frequent tours, sometimes several times daily, with the chance to schedule additional meetings. We'll probably arrange to be at RPI for their summer "Visit Days" blowout.

Those are all schools that she'd find a home at and they're certainly attractive alternatives to USNA. The itinerary could be a little less arduous but they all start with a five-hour flight to the Mainland. I think it's more important for her to see & walk the places she'd be spending her time at rather than running search filters for the "ultimate" school. She's also not going to have that many more opportunities for this type of road trip-- maybe another December or summer for CA or TX, and then she'd be up against USNA's summer seminar. So if she chooses to apply to these three, great. What's more important is that she get the experience at listening, asking questions, and clarifying her thinking.

Now all we have to do is coordinate about 7000 miles of air travel...

Old 06-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Outtahere, I'll see ya at Sturgis. I'll be the one on the beemer with the Alaska plates (I won't have had time to import the bike to Canada yet).

We also plan to spend some time in the parks near our home in Golden, BC.

I've pretty well locked in a July 6 date for leaving Alaska (and my job)....so who knows where all else I may end up!
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

One week spent at home, relaxing and painting.
One week to be scheduled at a spa in Arizona.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

We just got back from the Mall. Saw the Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean, WWII (and saw Kilroy), Washington and District WWI monuments.

Also saw the National Gallery of Art and National Indian Museums plus saw Marine One take off from the White House.

Walked 17,000 steps. Good times.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I leave Wednesday morning on a road trip to Owensboro, KY, to attend a four-day bluegrass music festival with a group of friends who are heading there from all over the country. I hope to return to Houston with some interviews in hand to be used to promote our internet radio station. We are also hosting a Gospel Music Jam Session at the Bluegrass museum there on Sunday morning which should be great fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing some friends that I haven't seen since last June.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
I leave Wednesday morning on a road trip to Owensboro, KY, to attend a four-day bluegrass music festival with a group of friends who are heading there from all over the country. I hope to return to Houston with some interviews in hand to be used to promote our internet radio station. We are also hosting a Gospel Music Jam Session at the Bluegrass museum there on Sunday morning which should be great fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing some friends that I haven't seen since last June.
Sam -

Stop by moonlite before you leave for some bbq.

Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn - Owensboro Barbecue Restaurant, BBQ Online Store Featuring Country Ham, Mutton, Burgoo, BBQ Ribs and More
Old 06-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

In a few months we are tentatively planning to check out Huntsville Alabama, and areas nearby which might be potential ER locations for us. Does that count as a vacation? It probably will not be a long trip.

When I ER in 2-3 years, I can cash in my annual leave (vacation time) to a point. That will make a nice little addition to the good ol' nestegg. Bet I could live on it for a year, with my house paid off and my tiny pension.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #72

Just finished a 3 day midweek road trip to Healdsburg, CA wine region (N end of
Sonoma). Decided on trip Tuesday 4pm, took Amtrak Wednesday 1am-noon,
walked 1 block to bicycle rental place, biked over to motel to drop stuff off.
Rode and tasted Wednesday afternoon (100 degrees, 17 miles), again Thursday
(100 degrees, 34 miles), a little bit more Friday morning, then Amtrak'ed back
Friday 11am-10pm.

Because it was midweek, I was almost always the only customer in the tasting room.
The roads were also very quiet (more important when cycling than driving).

Another simlar trip scheduled for 2 weeks in Buellton, CA region.

6 day backcountry cabin / camping trip in Ketchikan,AK scheduled around July 4th.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Looks and sounds great, wildcat. I was there for the festival last year and missed that spot. I'll make sure that doesn't happen this year.