What RV and how to finance

Then ask her if SHE wants to buy an RV with all the money she has accumulated.
Or more specifically, does she want to buy you an RV with the money that she accumulated :LOL: .

From the subsequent postings, I see that is not going to happen :angel: ...

We too are pushing the numbers on RV use because when we started totaling RV cost + accessories (tow bar, maybe install levelers and backup camera) it was pushing $50,000.

Husband wants a coach because he could pull a fishing boat to a lake and I would be content staying in the coach with wifi (?). If we purchased a larger one the kids + grandchildren would use it. We had loads of fun for a couple months with a camper van in AU a few years back. I don't see any need for something bigger for us for traveling.

Back to my $$ analysis.

Husband and I looked at a beautiful used RV last night. For the brand, age and mileage it was well priced but after mulling over the fact that over $45,000 in savings would be tied up in a coach that met our needs it just didn't make sense. In five years time it would depreciate $8,700, insurance would be $900+/year, and maintenance would be about $1,000/yr.

I looked at campervans, nice ones aren't cheap either. At our age we need a bed that we can easily get out of and housing with a bathroom and shower. I proposed a travel trailer but husband wants to be able to pull a boat.

So, a cabin by the lake and motels just make more sense... and we will still have cash available to take a long dreamed of trip to Asia.

For those of you still considering an RV purchase I can't recommend the RV Consumer's guidance higher.

Husband and I looked at a beautiful used R...So, a cabin by the lake and motels just make more sense... and we will still have cash available to take a long dreamed of trip to Asia...
Hope you're not too disappointed but I must say I am not surprised at your decision. Sounds like your diligent homework beforehand led you to the right choice given your circumstances.

Enjoy Plan B.

Hope you're not too disappointed but I must say I am not surprised at your decision. Sounds like your diligent homework beforehand led you to the right choice given your circumstances.

Enjoy Plan B.
+1

Sorry it didn't work out but very happy for you that you made this decision before, not after, buying the RV.

Husband and I looked at a beautiful used RV last night. For the brand, age and mileage it was well priced but after mulling over the fact that over $45,000 in savings would be tied up in a coach that met our needs it just didn't make sense. In five years time it would depreciate $8,700, insurance would be $900+/year, and maintenance would be about $1,000/yr.

I looked at campervans, nice ones aren't cheap either. At our age we need a bed that we can easily get out of and housing with a bathroom and shower. I proposed a travel trailer but husband wants to be able to pull a boat.

So, a cabin by the lake and motels just make more sense... and we will still have cash available to take a long dreamed of trip to Asia.

For those of you still considering an RV purchase I can't recommend the RV Consumer's guidance higher.

Brat
Not surprised at your answer, either. RVing rarely, IMHO, will "wow you" on the economics. It is largely a choice of a lifestyle and then finding the most cost effective way to enjoy the choice (ie good used equipment that is used often enough to realize the benefits.). Clearly depreciation has a huge impact. But less face it, RVing is not the same experience as a lake cottage and resorts, or even the trip to Asia. We appreciate the flexibility and convenience it provides us, as well as making possible the opportunity to see parts of the country not easily enjoyed with other choices.
Hey life is a journey of choices and everyone has to make the ones that work for them.
Nwsteve.

For what its worth: we concluded that the Winnebago 31 ft iterations with one slide provide the best value. Outlook, Spirit, Winnie are quite similar differing in interior finishes. They had a high road handling rating which is important to us. We like the fiberglass lid because it is easier to maintain and repair. If money weren't a factor the Born Free or Bigfoot with a slide would be my choice...

But, after all, money is a factor.

But, after all, money is a factor.

Absolutely. I'd never try to convince anyone RVing as a hobby is inexpensive/cost effective - at least not with the type of rigs most of us would feel comfortable owning and using. Traveling and camping in comfort isn't cheap. RVing as a hobby is exactly what [-]Rich[/-] nwsteve says - it's a lifestyle choice.

OTOH, full-timing in an RV can be relatively inexpensive and cost substantially less than sticks & bricks living.

Last edited:
I won't argue with you there. In many public campgrounds the Host lives for free in an RV. There are some people who own a couple RV spots with services and they move with the weather. BUT some RVs can cost as much as a house, there is no free lunch.

If I were to live in an RV I would choose to live in a travel trailer or 5th wheel. That combination is much more flexible.

BUT some RVs can cost as much as a house, there is no free lunch.
Yes, but you can save big on ongoing expenses like taxes. I pay about $300 per year for tags for our 5th wheel and truck and 15x that in property tax on our house. That can add up to substantial savings in a few years.

Plus, if you full-time you tend to cut waaay back on buying 'stuff' - you've got no place to put it! And if you don't like your neighbors or their barking dog... :D

I'd love to give it a try but DW does not share my enthusiasm.

30' classic

2005 30' classic Airstream. Purchase used at good discount from new.

Tow vehicle now upgraded to Ford 2000 Powerstroke 7.3

Airstreams hold their value relatively well if you want to sell at later date.

CASH TALKS, BS WALKS

airstream%252520w%252520tv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom