What to say to student about Cancun on Spring Break?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Got a call from DS today who is a college student in Southern California. He was testing the waters about taking off on Spring Break (March 26 - April 1) with his friends and flying to Cancun.

Claimed they could get a cheap hotel (something like $100/night for maybe 2?) and see the sites. Wouldn't it be a bit dangerous down there in a possibly lower class hotel? From what I've seen they say to stick to the prime tourist areas especially at night.

I know him and he's not into just site seeing. More then likely the cheap drinks (if available) and the girls at any and all night clubs.

Any thoughts on how to handle this? When DW and I were students we didn't think in terms of living it up on anything called Spring Break ... at least I don't remember it. He's 26 (a "mature" student) and has his own passport so it's kind of nice he even asked -- but he's probably thinking about how much money we might kick in. We were non-committal, just gathered information.

He's a 26 year old man. I'd wish him a fun trip, and contribute exactly $0.00 toward his expenses. The less cash on hand, the less likely he'll get into any real trouble.

My .02.

The choice during spring break when I was in college was Mazatlan...or Palm Springs. The stories I heard (I usually went skiing or worked) were of drinking and debauchery. As for Mexico right now - yes, I'd perhaps tell them to read the papers/news and this time steer clear of the 'off-beaten' path. The touristy areas will probably do their best to make sure they are not accosted - they need the $$$$.

As for money to assist? 26? Nahhh :) Also, he should be careful while there sampling the wares and get tested when he gets back.......

If he has the money it I would wish him a great time. But I would include a warning about financing it with credit card or other debt.

I would not finance this nonsense. I would also point out the increasing diciness of Mexico as a destination and suggest alternatives if he really wants to blow cash on spring break. We just came back from yet another trip to PR and I think it would be a safe, cheap destination for that sort of trip.

Personally, I never had the money to do anything but go home and see my family on breaks. Always wished I had the money to go on a trip. DW got to spend the week backpacking in the Smokies one year before we met.

He's a big boy...if he wants to go, he can pay for it. As for safety, as long as he's in the tourista zones, he'll be fine. At 26, many of us on this forum were well beyond asking much of our parents in the way of financing.

He's a big boy...if he wants to go, he can pay for it. As for safety, as long as he's in the tourista zones, he'll be fine. At 26, many of us on this forum were well beyond asking much of our parents in the way of financing.

X2, not much else to say besides tell him to be sure and "wrap it up' :ROFLMAO:

BTW, the flight will be the most expensive part of the trip. Damn, flights are expensive now.

This isn't studies and isn't vacation, it is partying.

We encouraged our children to study and paid for their college and expenses, but not a penny for parties. We also paid for their travel to school and home again as often as they wanted, but nowhere else. We never threatened or said no, but definitely disapproved when they talked about spring break.

Each of our three children completed college, only one took a spring break like the one mentioned, paid for with money she earned and spent most of the trip sick (food poisoning). She still talks about it as the worst thing she's ever done with her own money.

At 26, many of us on this forum were well beyond asking much of our parents in the way of financing.
At 26 years of age, I already served in a war zone, been married for five years (not the same thing :LOL: ), and had a wife and child to support.

OK, I know things are "different" today (e.g. some parents don't want their kids to ever grow up and make their own decisions, and mistakes) but when I read posts like this I start to wonder about our "future leaders".

I'll get off my soapbox, now :whistle: ...

If he has the time and money to travel and vacation in Mexico can it be assumed that has he paid for all his tuition and book expenses to date and has no outstanding loans? If he has then maybe he deserves a short break and maybe a little spending money. If he hasn't then maybe his money would be more wisely spent toward his education.

Cheers!

Absolutely. I know I was, by about 8 years. Don't give him a dime for this. We were all young and single, once, so deep inside I think we all have a pretty good idea of what he has in mind - - wine, women, song? Sowing wild oats? He can pay for this trip on his own.

I'd wish him well, and after the trip wouldn't inquire too much about what he actually did down there. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for responding to this. DW and I are thinking along the lines of most responders. No financing for this trip. I always speak my mind figuring that I'd regret it otherwise if things went bad -- so he'll get a bit of negative feedback on the idea.

He's just very social and loves to "party". Never seems to get enough of that. It's not really "wine, women and song" but more like "beer, beer, women, women" ;). Would like to have had a nerd and he is not that. We love him and try hard to promote responsibility. There is a fine line between that and nagging. Seems one never entirely avoids the parenting roll even in young adulthood.

He's just very social and loves to "party". Never seems to get enough of that. It's not really "wine, women and song" but more like "beer, beer, women, women" ;). Would like to have had a nerd and he is not that.

We've got one who is the nerd. He's also 26 and while he works and saves and invests well he doesn't have much of a social life and would like to have one.

Drinking is not of interest to him although I heard he had a beer for the Superbowl.

He'd make a great catch for someone as he's got a nice apartment in a decent area and he's very responsible, personally and financially.

He never considered a "Spring Break" vacation but he did make a 3 day trip to Busch Gardens (amusement park) with friends a few years ago. Yeah, that's pretty nerdy!

I would not suggest Mexico for Spring Break at this time, and I sure wouldn't help pay for it!

I would probably say " Are you crazy haven't you read how dangerous Mexico is " . Then after I calmed down I would say be careful and don't drink too much .:)

X2, not much else to say besides tell him to be sure and "wrap it up' :ROFLMAO:

BTW, the flight will be the most expensive part of the trip. Damn, flights are expensive now.

LOL... same kind of advice, different words..... it is 'make sure to wear your raincoat'....

I'm sure a 26 year old man would be thrilled to hear this from mommie and daddie. It's not like he hasn't been having sex for at least 10 years, with all sorts of people known and unknown, and had about 1000 sex ed classes.

But it will help for mumsie and popsie to remind him that they understand why he is going to Mexico, instead of staying at college and sleeping with any one of the 50 or so women that would be available to him right there in his dorm.

He is sure to think, wow, my parents are hip!

Ha

Seems to me saying: your money your life, would be swiftly interpreted by a 26 yr old.

I agree with Sarah here.

From the original post, it didn't sound as your son was actually asking you to kick in. I might imagine he hoped that you would kick in. ( I remember having those hopes when I was a college student). And, I think I would help him some financially. I would earmark (is that the word)? the money for a hotel in in a safer neighborhood.

Is it that he's going to Mexico on spring break that's the problem? Suppose he was going to visit an aunt in Iowa and he had barely enough money to get there. Would you help him out financially in that situation?

Another +1 here. When I was 26, there would have been no financial help expected or offered. It's a vacation or party trip and if he can't afford it then he shouldn't be going.

Spring break? I've read about that in stories. On my spring breaks I worked full time instead of part time.

At 26, I'd been on the police department three years, had my own place, and been to two funerals for guys I worked with.

If he can pay for it with his own earned money then I'd say "have a nice trip". But I sure wouldn't help pay for it.

I'm sure a 26 year old man would be thrilled to hear this from mommie and daddie. It's not like he hasn't been having sex for at least 10 years, with all sorts of people known and unknown, and had about 1000 sex ed classes.

But it will help for mumsie and popsie to remind him that they understand why he is going to Mexico, instead of staying at college and sleeping with any one of the 50 or so women that would be available to him right there in his dorm.

He is sure to think, wow, my parents are hip!

Ha

You seem to be like someone I used to work with.... we were talking about his mid 20 something daughter one day... and for some reason sex came up... his comment was 'I sure hope she is having sex, but I don't want to know about it'....

Me... my kids are still young... I want to warn them when the time comes.... better safe than sorry...

You seem to be like someone I used to work with.... we were talking about his mid 20 something daughter one day... and for some reason sex came up... his comment was 'I sure hope she is having sex, but I don't want to know about it'....

Me... my kids are still young... I want to warn them when the time comes.... better safe than sorry...
Well, I agree with you 100% on that idea for sure. I just think that by age 26 that train has left the station. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom