Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post

The beauty of Bora Bora is hard to put into words. The island has got to be the most beautiful one in the world. The water is so blue-green that it appears artificial. It is a place where I can literally do nothing all day on one of the over-the-water huts and absolutely have a perfect day. The snorkeling experience was greatly diminished due to a storm a few yrs ago but there are still enjoyable spots on the island. One of the greatest experiences of my life was to go down to the ocean floor in one of those Jacque Cousteau diving helmets and feed the fish with bread: They would all act like hesitant puppies but once the first one took a piece of bread the entire neighborhood of fish would swim all around you to get a piece. A huge puffer that literally looked like a puppy was very hesitant to grab a piece of bread so when it finally lunged in to grab a piece it was so sloppy that it ended up biting my hand instead: The scar is my favorite vacation memento to this day.

Have you done the shark feeding in Bora bora ? That was one of my favorite but scary experiences .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Have you done the shark feeding in Bora bora ? That was one of my favorite but scary experiences .
Yes, the shark feeding experience was incredible. I love the ocean and water but am regrettably not the best swimmer in the world so the initial moments were tense for me - I stayed very close to the boat! To me sharks are the ultimate animal form so to see them in a natural environment was unforgettable.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

We've been to Hawaii and a bunch of the Caribbean Islands, but tops was probably Lake Tahoe. A week hiking the surrounding mountains, visiting historic Viriginia City, fishing the lake and enjoying the scenery.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Each trip has standout moments, so it's hard to pick one. Some experiences:

Alaska: we hiked and camped for 4 days in Denali plus did a week long cruise out of Vancouver and spend a few days in Seward (hiking the ice field was an adventure!). I like that by camping deep in the park, we experienced things few people get to.

Last summer we hiked/camped in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons - Yellowstone was just amazing to me. It is definitely one of my favorite places.

Other places/trips I loved: touring around Spain on my own; Italy with my aunt (Florence was my favorite); a wedding in northern Greece follow by a trip to a few of the Greek islands; learning to surf (a little) in Costa Rica (and hiking the volcano); Haleakala at sunrise in Hawaii; hiking/camping through Arizona and Utah (we both love Zion)...

I, like others, am always ready to say that the best trip is the next one! We are working on this summer's trip, and are all over the map (literally). We keep throwing out new ideas - hiking Maccu Picchu; touring Eastern Europe; Glacier National Park and Banff...next year we hope to go on safari or to New Zealand...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The nice to think about good travel experiences because it brings it back to life.
It is also kind of a challenge to try to communicate the experience through words.

The one DW and I remember most fondly was a 2 week visit to Queensland, Australia. It is nice to visit an exotic land. I don't know where to start to describe it. Our kind of place.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #46

A cruise on a 4 masted ship to the Greek Isles and Italy. Normally I don't like cruises but this was very laid back with no schedules to eat and no dancing waiters.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #47

Our best vacation was a month long holiday in Queensland, Australia in '89.

Our 2nd best vacation was a month long holiday in Queensland, Australia in '97.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Our best vacation is the next one.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #49

Sea kayaking in the Sea of Cortez. Very primitive camping on the beach, but sorta like Out of Africa. A power boat went ahead set up camp on different places. We paddle up tents are up, cerveza is cold, and dinner being served. Sea turtle watching, whale watching, snorkeling, bird watching, and plenty of muscles used.

Oh did I say I was on permanent vacation?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #50
gone traveling

Best? Hard to choose just one. Here's my top three:

1. Switzerland (loved it, especially the Glacier Express). DW will be back there in September for her 2nd time around (I'm staying home with the puppies)...
2. Australia (yes, I know it's a big country; let's say the "right side - North to South); IOW, not Western Australia (maybe next time).
3. France (many times - different areas)...

While my DW is currently traveling, with her "travel buddy" (girls running wild, in the spring, in the South), I would answer (for her), Egypt. She was there in September (yes, including Cairo - before all hel* broke loose).

Regardless of the unrest and the poor conditions for the "common man/woman", it did impress her.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #51

2 weeks vising a friend in Panama!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #52

I envy all of you. We haven't really gone anywhere exotic. We hope to when we retire. I think my husband would agree with me that our two best trips were with our grandchildren. We love being with them and seeing them discover new things. So our best two trips with them (and our daughter) were to the Seattle down through the Oregon coast area and to Disneyland and Southern California.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
We hope to when we retire.
If it's a time constraint, then I understand. Otherwise, don't wait till retirement to travel, if that is truly your desire and on your "bucket list".

DW/I have traveled around the world for the last 15+ years, much of it before retirement (at least me - retired for four years; DW still employed).

Time is finite. If travel is your "dream", don't wait till you retire to do so.

Just my $.02...
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

St. John in the Virgin Islands - specifically Maho Bay cabins. Also cherish the memories of a few camping trips to various parks. No phones, no crowds, no pollution. Peaceful & beautiful.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
OK we have heard about the disappointments. What about the best vacations ever? I think mine would be the one where we picked up a new car in Germany than drove it through Northern Italy. Stopped in Salzberg, Venice, Tuscany, Lake Como, and Porto Fino. Part of the fun was getting to know and drive a really neat car in really neat places.
Since OP I would have to change this to a great trip to Turkey last summer for my 60th birthday. Spent a week or so in Instanbul then a week on a crewed private boat(25metre wooden sailing boat called Gulet) cruising the islands of the Aegean sea. Had brother, daughter, and other friends with us. Had a great time. Expect will be able to improve on this over time as we have some great trips planned for this year.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #56

Best trip ever, can't imagine topping it: two weeks on safari in Tanzania. Ngorogoro Crater. Camping in the Serengeti. Elephants, giraffe, zebras, lions, cheetah, wildebeast, hippos, etc etc. A nature lover's dream come true.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Best trip ever, can't imagine topping it: two weeks on safari in Tanzania. Ngorogoro Crater. Camping in the Serengeti. Elephants, giraffe, zebras, lions, cheetah, wildebeast, hippos, etc etc. A nature lover's dream come true.
East Africa was my favorite trip, too. Truly the kind of stuff I dreamed about seeing as a kid.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #58

Rescue me, both my job and my husband's are the kind you can't take more than 5 days off, or you come back to all kinds of problems that make your vacation not all that enjoyable. Not to mention we both get calls during vacations to make decisions concerning major issues that have come up. I really couldn't enjoy a major trip as long as I am working.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

My best vacation so far was our rafting trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon. The experience was beyond words. Interestingly, I've seen the entire 180 miles of the canyon from the river, but still haven't seen it from the rim. Something left to do.

My runner-up 'best vacation' is probably a trip to Morocco. Everything was so completely different there that it reminded me of the whole reason I travel.

Hawaii (honeymoon), and Paris (first international destination) deserve honorable mentions.

And although not technically a 'vacation' I'd trade all of the above for the last 347 days we spent touring the US in an RV.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Rescue me, both my job and my husband's are the kind you can't take more than 5 days off, or you come back to all kinds of problems that make your vacation not all that enjoyable. Not to mention we both get calls during vacations to make decisions concerning major issues that have come up. I really couldn't enjoy a major trip as long as I am working.
Although a challenge, that work schedule isn't insurmountable. If you plan around holiday weekends, 5 business days out of the office becomes a 9 or 10 day trip. That's not enough, in my opinion, to get to Asia or southern Africa, but it is more than enough time to spend in Europe, Central and South America, and even Northern Africa.

I recall finagling a half a dozen trips a year, both foreign and domestic, with no more than 5 days out of the office at any one time. And yes, I also recall participating in a conferences calls while on vacation, like outside of Saint Bavokerk Cathedral in the Netherlands, which was pretty annoying. But I'd still rather have had that call there, than in the office.

Oh, and another bonus of that Grand Canyon rafting trip . . . absolutely no cell phone or blackberry service. "Sorry folks, I'm going to one of the few places on earth where I'll be absolutely unreachable. Once I disembark the only way for me to get out is by rescue helicopter. I guess you'll just have to live without me for a week like big boys and girls. Too-da-loo."