Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I think the distinction is that airline travel is 'different' than train or bus travel... it is kind of hard to crash a train into a big building and all a bus will do is crush and kill the people inside...

There are very few tickets that you buy that are name specific... IOW, the ticket is for 'you', not a general admission ticket like a bus, train, theater etc. etc.

However, it can be changed to someone else... our company does it all the time... there is a change fee, but so what... it just can not be given to someone else to show up at the airport and try and get on the plane... the 'no fly' list covers that...

As far as the commuter tickets.... it is in the rules, but who is there to check... when I was in NY, I gave my ticket to my sister for a few days so she could go to a few places... that meant that I could not since we only had one ticket... you can get around that restriction...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
"Monthly Unlimited Ride Pass
Regular Metra commuters save 40 percent or more over one-way fares. Monthly passes are for the exclusive use of the purchaser and are not transferable....
Oh... That has nothing to do with security. That's just to prevent 2 or more persona using the same bus pass. It's true everywhere afaik.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
There are very few tickets that you buy that are name specific... IOW, the ticket is for 'you', not a general admission ticket like a bus, train, theater etc. etc.
To buy a soccer ticket in Italy (Spain as well IIRC) you have to show your passport at the ticket booth. The ticket and passport have to match when you enter the stadium. They do this to keep the hooligans out and to know who started the fight in the 3rd row. Regardless, it's a big pain if you can't make it to the game.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I suspect the airlines are figuring out how to make money again - and unfortunately, it's with fees and restrictions rather than better (discernibly better) service. So, it always makes me angry when I see an airline advertise. As far as I am concerned, they are all alike (Southwest and I forget one other are the exceptions). Advertising that "my airline is better" is ridiculous. They should pool their money and just try to get everyone to fly SOME airline. We won't know the difference and each airline stands as good a chance as the next to snag our fare via Cheap Tickets or Price Line, etc. Does anyone actually TRY to fly one airline over another other than because of routs or arrival times or perhaps fewer stops in between? These are not functions of "service" as such. No one airline is going to fly to all places at all times. This may differentiate the route you take which then specifies the carrier. But, with the exception of SW (if it goes where I want) I start with route/time (intermediate stops) and then price in that order. I rarely fly the same carrier twice in a row even though I often go to the same place several times in a row. I have absolutely NO allegiance to one carrier over another. And, YES, because they are all the same (bad) I'd run over their grandmother to save a dollar on a fare.

End of rant.

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote