Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate flying and airports so when I have to it's first class.

I like a Jacuzzi bath before bed so I'll have one in the room please.

I don't care about cars, so my rental is a cheapie.

Food? Yeah Baby, that's the reward!

I don't travel that much but when I do I'm spending a lotta dough -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
For those that travel to countries and don't speak or understand the local language how do you find this fun and exciting?
I dealt with tons of people in my prior j*bs that didn't speak english and I don't speak any foreign language I found it to be stress inducing. So why would I wan't a stressful vacation? Because of this I limit my travels to where english is the primary language.
Anyone got any travel planned? Post #921.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting thread. Hard to define a style for us. We take a weekend trip or two to NYC each year to see the opera, will stay in Boston for a couple of days to do museums or concerts on the way to/from Maine to see BIL. We're probably headed for Milan in January to see our foreign exchange "daughter" who just had a baby - that will involve a lot of museums. So it would seem like we are "cultural" travelers. But, we've also driven cross country, sleeping in cheap motels and/or camping out of the back of the car - hiking and playing municipal golf courses (you meet the most interesting people). We've also done a couple of short bicycle weekends to B&B's. A couple of weeks in Hawaii snorkeling, hiking, bicycling, etc. out of a tiny studio condo eating food from the farmer's market.

I think that the only thing that I can say about my traveling is that I don't like to be places where other people fuss over me. An example for you golfers out there - I LOVED Bandon Dunes, but really didn't like Whistling Straits/Kohler. At Bandon they are perfectly willing to leave you alone and let you play golf - at Kohler there is ALWAYS someone doing something for you, whether you want them to or not.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For those that travel to countries and don't speak or understand the local language how do you find this fun and exciting?
I dealt with tons of people in my prior j*bs that didn't speak english and I don't speak any foreign language I found it to be stress inducing. So why would I wan't a stressful vacation? Because of this I limit my travels to where english is the primary language.
I find a smile and gesturing can get you pretty far. I also at least try and understand a few terms and definitely the numbers. You'd be surprised at how much English is also spoken around the world.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #25

For what very little travel we do we'll drive if possible and stay in medium-range hotels. My days of sleeping in a tent are long in the past.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Ah, to be young again.

I recall such things as taking a ramshackle bus from Tehran to Zahedan, (many of the passengers, it appeared, had never even been on a bus before), and sleeping in the dust alongside the vehicle while the driver took a six hour (IIRC) break......commandeering luggage racks to sleep on Pakistani & Indian local trains......being temporarily 'adopted' by some local students in Karachi and being invited to crash on the dirt floor of any empty concrete block building.

Those were the days...now, in my dotage, I demand a (gasp) mattress.
Getting soft, eh?

Before the end times come, I swear I'm going to find a way ply you with beer and snacks for the opportunity to hear more of your stories. You are definitely my travel hero, sir!

Also a fan of mattresses, even if only filled with air, I confess. One of our buddies slept in just a sleeping bag fit into a plastic sleeve when we were camping last summer. The ancient part of our brains that believe the tent provides us some protection from hungry animals must have been completely absent.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It sounds like you have made the right decision for yourself. Believe it or not, other people have different preferences and enjoy different experiences.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Getting soft, eh?

Before the end times come, I swear I'm going to find a way ply you with beer and snacks for the opportunity to hear more of your stories. You are definitely my travel hero, sir!

Also a fan of mattresses, even if only filled with air, I confess. One of our buddies slept in just a sleeping bag fit into a plastic sleeve when we were camping last summer. The ancient part of our brains that believe the tent provides us some protection from hungry animals must have been completely absent.
I also recall, circa 1965, grabbing a jam packed northwest bound train from Brindisi, Italy, having recently crossed from Greece by ferry....even the corridors were virtually standing room only......but I fell asleep.......and woke up with footprints all over me......(the Chianti....there was no available food except a hunk of sausage that a few of us shared....may have been a contributing factor).

PS: Ply away!

Old 09-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My style is "go with the flow" and do anything and everything. And no complaining ... no matter what.

I've done flying, driving, bike riding, bus, cruise, train, canoe, foot whether public or private.

I've camped, stayed with relatives, low budget hotels and Ritz Carlton high budget hotels.

I've done pre-planned know-where-I-will-be every-night and the wanderlust-just-go-and-see-what-happens.

I've done quite a few countries where I didn't speak the language, but had some of the most memorable experiences.

I've been in foreign hospitals and even help foreigners-in-the-US get medical treatment.

So back-country skiing camping in the frozen mountains to hot desert camping to spas and beaches without a worry. Big cities like NYC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Beijing, Paris, London, Tokyo, whatever. And places where there is no cell coverage, no roads, and no people.

I guess I don't have a style. I can do anything.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I find a smile and gesturing can get you pretty far. I also at least try and understand a few terms and definitely the numbers. You'd be surprised at how much English is also spoken around the world.
I might have to work on the smile part.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I guess I don't have a style. I can do anything.
That is a style unto itself! Keep it up.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #32

Hate to travel unless it is to a golf destination.

Hate airports, had enough of those for 40+ years.

Hate standing in any kind of a line and waiting. Must be a throw back to my days in the US Army.

When I do have to travel it is strictly on my own terms, which means, I don't have to travel much.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #33

We don't have a style either. We like cruises, RV travel, going to Europe and seeing the sights on our own. I hate the heat so I do not want to go to any places that are hot/humid. I went to Thailand in Nov and it was 90 and humid (their winter). While I am glad I went I would not do it again. WE have been to Europe 4x's and want to go more. We like to see a region for 2 weeks so no 5 countries in 10 days for us. I don't want to be gone for more then 3 weeks since we have dogs I miss. If we take them with us then a month is fine. We usually eat out dinner every night in middle of the road places with an occasional fancy dinner mixed in. I would prefer to take 2 trips that are in the middle for luxury then 1 first class trip. I will not share a bathroom ever.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #34

What's your travel "style"?? friendly questionnaire

Too cheap to have style, but we travel a lot on Ryanair, and prefer to stay in apartments or condos before staying in hotels.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #35

Great thread idea!

I've been cruising since elementary school, and like the negligible planning required for that style of travel. It's getting less interesting to me, but it appeals to DW, so by way of common ground, it's what we end-up doing. But we don't even get off the ship in the Caribbean ports. But this "complete relaxation" travel does not fulfill my travel bug, so I do it, like it, but it doesn't completely describe my preferences (style).

Neither DW nor I like the "organized tour", where they cart you from place to place on a specific schedule, and everything is planned down to the minute for you. There is no adventure in that kind of travel. And I'm not real interested in going to hit each tourist thing and get the tee shirt. We'll do "what we have to" (i.e. Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame), but try to work-in some random local culture stuff or just setting out with nothing in mind and taking what we find.

I would rather be doing something active (hiking, biking, or even piloting a boat), whereas DW considers that "work" and would rather be on a cruise or somewhere where that didn't require any effort at all. But I did talk her into taking a week of ocean sailing lessons, and she said she liked doing that, so maybe there's middle ground.

I'm going to go back and read this thread again...reading the various thoughts / approaches surrounding what people like and don't like about travel...good stuff.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dirty hippie is our travel style.
Weird, offbeat places, not typical tourist destinations.
Always try to find local friends to stay with, or barring that, little hostels (shared bath ok, prefer private room rather than dorm-style, though).
Typically we do trips that are longer, running into weeks and weeks.

Generally try to do them on the cheap, making it possible for more budget-constrained friends to join us, occasionally springing for nice hotel rooms (using points) and decent dinners. Trips are so much better when you can share them with good friends.
+1

DW & I also like to take it slow and low! Weeks & months in duration, immerse ourselves like locals and do it on the cheap (cheap for rooms and instead spend $$ on experiences).
Old 09-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

No particular style of travel, although we both hate anything fancy (like hotels with doormen, etc.).

Personally, I love spontaneous travel best. One example comes to mind.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I was looking at a map and realized that I had spent time in 49 states but had never set foot in Montana.

Spent a day at the computer making plans, then hopped in the car and drove west from Ohio, heading toward Glacier NP.

A most delightful week or ten days, seeing things I had never encountered before and making memories that will last for years. Probably spent a little over $1,000 on gas, hotels, food, etc. That's travel for the pure pleasure of it.

Another one (I love this story):
Long ago, I was able to fly standby for free, and was w*rking in NYC. There was a play on Broadway I wanted to see, but the tickets were prohibitively expensive and because of its popularity there were no half-price tickets available.

I found out that the same show was playing in London at a greatly reduced price compared to the Broadway theatre. So after w*rk on Friday I jumped on a plane and flew to London. Slept all the way across. Caught a ride with the aircrew into town, then killed time (and a few pints) until evening. Got discount tickets at the booth in Piccadilly Circus, saw the show, then enjoyed a few more pints until closing time. Rode the tube here and there until the flight home next morning and crashed at home Sunday evening. What a great weekend, and it cost hardly anything!

I truly admire those here who can meticulously plan their travels, but I don't have that organizational gene (wish I did!).
Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess we like a mixture of road trips, long and short, as well as longer term slow travel. Leaving tomorrow to drive to Arizona, tent camping along the way. Staying there in a modest rental condo for six weeks, mostly playing in baseball tournaments and mountain biking. Looking at a couple of months in southern Spain or Ecuador this winter - rental apartments are pretty cheap there.

Last year drove I from the PNW to Arizona, then across the country taking my time to Miami. Then to Cuba to play baseball and tour around. Back to Miami and up to Kentucky, Ohio and New York to visit family, then a month in Chicago visiting our daughter. All told about a four month trip. A mix of condo stays, budget hotels and staying with relatives.

I'd rather pay lower prices and stay longer - luxury travel doesn't do much for me at all, even if I had unlimited funds. (OK, with truly unlimited funds I might fly first class.) Super 8 is good enough on road trips. But my hostel / shared room days are behind me - and an air mattress is part of the camping gear.

We rented a campervan for two months touring New Zealand a couple of years back, and a month in a campervan along the east coast of Australia a couple of years before that.

At this point we seem to be moving towards longer stays in great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin - that might be a thread I'll start some day, the search for great walking cities. Travel guides don't seem to focus on that much.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
At this point we seem to be moving towards longer stays in great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin - that might be a thread I'll start some day, the search for great walking cities. Travel guides don't seem to focus on that much.
Would love to see this, waiting for the thread!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

What's your travel "style"??

LBYM travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoboboxcar.jpg (136.8 KB, 10 views)