Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop14 View Post
great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin .
As much as I like Lisbon, I think I'd exchange it for Porto.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

That is the great thing about Europe is that is was designed for walking and not really car travel. We have been in some towns where the cars are not allowed in the city.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Would love to see this, waiting for the thread!
+1
Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
+1
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Rome, best walking city, period. Could spend days there just walking all the little streets and piazzas. The food, the history, friendly locals, good wine. Hard to beat.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We tend to like a combo of tours , museums and time just wandering. I love quirky hotels and we both love quirky restaurants or pubs. Living in Florida I am never tempted anymore by beaches . I did every Caribbean island several times when I lived in New Jersey . I also did my adventure travel when younger now I want comfort .My days of swimming with the sharks are over .
Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #47

Must haves when I travel:

toilets
mattress sleeping.
(I grew up backpacking, I've done my time, but will tolerate air mattress in a tent in a campground with portapotties.)

My "style" is towards slowish travel... a week at a time per destination... in an apartment rather than a hotel. I like having room to move around, a kitchen, a chance to unpack and settle in. I want to be in a place long enough that if I am feeling low energy or under the weather, I don't feel compelled to go sightsee, and instead can stay in the apartment and read and nap.

I'm an obsessive planner... especially when it comes to lodging and transfer days... But the time *at* the destination is unplanned. Don't get me wrong, I research what I want to see/do ahead of time... but I don't decide whether to go to a museum, open air market, or beach till that day.

I don't like group tours and I'm not excited about cruises... but am considering repositioning cruises once I have the flexibility (kids out of the house). That said - I like comfort... Not necessarilly fancy... but comfort. With the kids - I don't want to all cram into a hotel room and listen to their squables. I look for apartments with beds big enough that DH (6'4") and I (not petite) can fit comfortably. I look for places with fully equipped kitchens because my preference is to not eat every meal in a restaurant. I look for places with AC and washing machine and, of course, internet... those are more important to me than room service.

Here's an example of a place we stayed at in southern France... It was ideal and SO much better than a hotel.
https://www.vrbo.com/440055
Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We just completed a motor trip with 2 other couples. In the large Merc with 3 seats and we mixed and matched each seat. Great time travelling to Whistler and then across to the Okanagan, visiting friend's son and DIL ranch and another son's candy factory, mixing in a couple of large ranches and wine tasting. Too good!

We are leaving cruising until our dotage, having tried 3 of them. We fly to far away places and we avoid sandy beaches except for sunrise and sunset walks. We like places where we can stay and cook and drink on our own patio overlooking the water with friends, while getting to "good" restaurants in a reasonable walk or cab ride.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At this point we seem to be moving towards longer stays in great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin - that might be a thread I'll start some day, the search for great walking cities. Travel guides don't seem to focus on that much.
I'll usually check out some variety of Eyewitness Travel, Lonely Planet, or Rough Guides travel guides when researching a destination. All of those usually have lots of "walking tour of the city" type of maps with descriptions of places along the route. We spent several days in Buenos Aires following a few different walking tour routes. You see a lot of places along the way that you might never visit if you were on a tour or taking a taxi to a particular address, but if you're on foot and can deviate a block or two, why not stop in to an interesting square/museum/cafe/famous dead person's house.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #50

Basically, as long as I'm with my SO, I really don't care where we go or what we do. I just had a magical time in the hills of Malibu, CA, and most of that was because we were together. Flying and airports don't bother me at all (perhaps they will in time?).
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Porto has long been on my list, my daughter really loved the city.

Looking at Cordoba or Valencia, Spain for a couple of months this winter. Cordoba might be a little small for a lot of walking, but it also has easy train access to a lot of interesting area.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Porto has long been on my list, my daughter really loved the city.

Looking at Cordoba or Valencia, Spain for a couple of months this winter. Cordoba might be a little small for a lot of walking, but it also has easy train access to a lot of interesting area.
Porto is one of our favorites.

Look out for us in Cordoba......we'll likely do a day trip there in the first half of November.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'll usually check out some variety of Eyewitness Travel, Lonely Planet, or Rough Guides travel guides when researching a destination. All of those usually have lots of "walking tour of the city" type of maps with descriptions of places along the route. We spent several days in Buenos Aires following a few different walking tour routes. You see a lot of places along the way that you might never visit if you were on a tour or taking a taxi to a particular address, but if you're on foot and can deviate a block or two, why not stop in to an interesting square/museum/cafe/famous dead person's house.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do - the walking tours usually show the best or most interesting areas of a city. And then I pretty much always go wandering off into more working class neighborhoods - just vector off in a different direction each day. I can easily do 10 or 15 miles a day, exploring interesting parks or sports fields or cafes or whatever catches my attention. Cities with good public transport or a subway system make it easier to expand the walking range. In a city like Chicago, every stop seems to be a different world with a different feel.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #54

There is so much to see and o in Rome. The first time we went we spent 10 days just there. My brother has been there for 6 weeks and says he still did not see it all.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Basically, as long as I'm with my SO, I really don't care where we go or what we do. I just had a magical time in the hills of Malibu, CA, and most of that was because we were together. Flying and airports don't bother me at all (perhaps they will in time?).
I am fortunate to be able to agree with this in large part even after close to 40 years--but not entirely. The right location can enhance the time together, particularly if the trip is relatively smooth (or, if not that, at least noteworthy). And DW is quite diligent and interested in nailing down the right locations/activities!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #56

Back when I was a salaried employee, I could take money-is-no-object vacations that involved:
flying somewhere with good hiking opportunities
staying in a mid-range hotel with kitchenette
driving to a new trailhead each day
going for an energetic day hike
returning to the hotel, taking a hot shower, fixing a good meal, and going to sleep
I had some great vacations in Oregon, Washington state, and the Big Island, among other places.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #57

We like road trips. We like nice hotels, if we can get a good price. We like both long and short trips, with 7-10 days being perfect. We love exploring big cities, small towns, rural areas, state and national parks, and not following a set schedule.

Our repeat trip every year is Disney World or Disneyland with our kids and grandkids. My dad worked for Disney before WWII, so maybe it's in our blood. Otherwise, our trips are to places all over the country. We are not interested in cruise on huge ships, but may try a river cruise someday. We aren't much into organized group things, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We haven't traveled much over the last few years other than to Florida for the winter. In our first couple years, we did do a 6-week trip to California, Hawaii (for DD's 30th birthday) and Texas (where my sisters live). Last year we did a one-week family trip to Texas for nephew's wedding and then took our adult kids to Orlando for a few days.

When we travel we tend to travel budget. Rarely other than economy unless we can use miles to upgrade, typically mid-range hotels, occasionally a budget hotel if just for one night, occasionally a resort or condo accommodations, mid-size rental cars, etc. Cruise infrequently and usually shorter cruises.

We're overdue to do some traveling. Sisters want us to join them for an Alaska cruise/land excursion in 2017 and thinking about it but it will run about $10k for the whole trip (for 2).
Old 09-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
For those that travel to countries and don't speak or understand the local language how do you find this fun and exciting?
It can be a little stressful, but mostly I find it challenging and fun. I like to try to learn a few words in different languages, like to learn about different cultures - it helps me grow as a person, and therefore, I think of it as a learning experience. If you learn basic travel words and basic phrases in different languages, it can take you far. Learn how to buy a train ticket, ask for a bathroom, ask for directions, food words, how to say hello and goodbye and please and thank you....it gets you farther than you may think!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
Learn how to buy a train ticket, ask for a bathroom, ask for directions, food words, how to say hello and goodbye and please and thank you....it gets you farther than you may think!
Not only abroad but at home too......years ago, in Ottawa, we wandered into a small Sikh owned store looking to purchase curry powder.......the owner was engaged in a conversation with another Sikh when we arrived, and neither of them offered particularly welcoming looks.

Until.............I said "Sat Sri Akal", a Punjabi greeting, (and just about the extent of my knowledge of that language), then it was smiles and helpful behavior all around.