Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of the hotels I stay in have a retractable clothesline above the bathtub. I think most guests wash underwear and socks in their hotel bathroom.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I always bring a plastic hangar or two to hang up wet clothes in the shower. No chance of rust.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I measure my luggage before a trip to make sure it fits.

For European luggage, don't you mean 22 kg? At least, that's what it was for intra-EU flights a week ago.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Looked around for some replacement luggage per my OP today. I like the information on onebag.com about going light and wrapping right, "bundle wrapping" and all that. If you lift one of the roll-aboard standard 22" cases it is amazing how heavy it is, even empty. The wheels and handle steal about a third of your packing space and an additional 3-6 lbs of weight to carry around. OTOH the wheel-free types weigh only 3 lbs.

Red Oxx (Air Boss and Sky Train) and ToughTraveler (Tri-Air) seem to be among the higher-end durable bags. They are expensive in the low $200 range. The local luggage stores only have carry-ons with wheels. If the bundle wrapping works as advertised I think I can pack at least 5 days of stuff in one of the no wheel type. Not sure if back-pack convertability is important to me and I'd rather not deal with two more straps to stow.

Either way it looks like my old roll-aboard is approaching extinction from new, stricter size limits -- not to mention one of the wheels falling off.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

When is a carry-on not a carry-on?

I keep waiting for the punch-line.... Sorry Rich, I couldn't resist...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Looked around for some replacement luggage per my OP today. I like the information on onebag.com about going light and wrapping right, "bundle wrapping" and all that. If you lift one of the roll-aboard standard 22" cases it is amazing how heavy it is, even empty. The wheels and handle steal about a third of your packing space and an additional 3-6 lbs of weight to carry around. OTOH the wheel-free types weigh only 3 lbs.

Red Oxx (Air Boss and Sky Train) and ToughTraveler (Tri-Air) seem to be among the higher-end durable bags. They are expensive in the low $200 range. The local luggage stores only have carry-ons with wheels. If the bundle wrapping works as advertised I think I can pack at least 5 days of stuff in one of the no wheel type. Not sure if back-pack convertability is important to me and I'd rather not deal with two more straps to stow.

Either way it looks like my old roll-aboard is approaching extinction from new, stricter size limits -- not to mention one of the wheels falling off.

Traveling by train I liked to pack efficiently to avoid dealing with a lot of luggage. I liked Eagle Creek's luggage and packing system. The cubes and folders are very handy. The folders work well to keep shirts from wrinkling. http://www.eaglecreek.com/

Or, you can use the cubes and do the bundle thing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I measure my luggage before a trip to make sure it fits.

For European luggage, don't you mean 22 kg? At least, that's what it was for intra-EU flights a week ago.
No, I mean 10 kg/ 22 lbs for the carry-on. Actually, on Swiss and Lufthansa, it's now only 8 kg. Each piece of checked luggage can weight up to 20-23 kg depending on your destination.

Hand baggage
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=1769620&l=en&cid=1000390&blt_p=US&b lt_l=en&blt_t=Info_and_Services%3EBaggage&blt_e=Co ntent&blt_n=Free%20baggage%20allowan&blt_z=carry-on%20baggage&blt_c=US|en|Info_and_Services%3EBagga ge|Content|Free%20baggage%20allowan|carry-on%20baggage
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I liked Eagle Creek's luggage and packing system. The cubes and folders are very handy. The folders work well to keep shirts from wrinkling. Eagle Creek
Yes, those are nice. I have a medium sized one and I like the external cinch straps to snug everything up.

I couldn't find an Eagle Creek carry-on in the 22x14x9 range that didn't have wheels. Do you know of any? It appears to make a big difference in overall capacity / weight.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yes, those are nice. I have a medium sized one and I like the external cinch straps to snug everything up.

I couldn't find an Eagle Creek carry-on in the 22x14x9 range that didn't have wheels. Do you know of any? It appears to make a big difference in overall capacity / weight.
No, I have one with wheels. I am a wimp, I like the wheels. But I could do without the backpack straps and have though about cutting them off.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most Asian airliners seem to be pretty liberal with carry-ons. We just took Singapore Airlines to Tokyo and we had 3 carry-ons (2 of us plus a baby) of normal size and it seemed like we had smaller carry-ons than most.

I've only flown inside Europe a few times took the trains everywhere else. When I flew Lufthansa from the US, they didn't balk at the American-sized carry-ons that most people had, but maybe fighting that on a flight from the US is a thankless task.

Laundry through most of Asia is so cheap to send out! We rarely stay at "Western" places, so most places charge about the same or refer you to a close-by laundry guy. On a couple of occasions, we have actually sent out all our dirty laundry before our flight home because it was so cheap!

I've also bought a bunch of easily washable travel stuff from REI and its been great when I've had to do handwashes.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Baggage, entertainment and inflight services no problem on the "right" airline.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #52

Just a quick suggestion from someone who still flies entirely too much: Always wear a decent jacket with large pockets when you fly (even to tropical destinations). This is where I keep everything that would be painful to replace if lost: Medication, contact lenses, very small laptop, etc.

Even on really small puddle jumpers in Central America where they place all bags (including laptop bags and purses) into a luggage compartment, I have never had to give up my jacket.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I have to believe that charging for checking a bag has resulted in longer load times for airlines and wonder if they additional revenue the gain from baggage fees make up for slower turn around times.

FYI, most airlines give you a $5 discount if you do web check in and pay for your checked luggage in advance.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Most Asian airliners seem to be pretty liberal with carry-ons.
Seriously! We've taken many regional flights in Asia and it's like comedy show the locals strolling up to the gate toting carryon luggage consisting of things like ice coolers, wicker chests, 3 foot tall ceramic elephants, bamboo screens, etc.

Makes it even more interesting when the "door is open" unorganized mosh pit occurs to pile onto the little bus to drive out to the plane.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #55

Another funny gray area is the "second small personal item like a purse or laptop bag."

For many passengers this means two max-sized pieces of luggage. Thus the one seat will take up half the overhead bin.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #56

Let's see: checked baggage fees and flights that are almost always overbooked and filled to capacity these days. Nope, I don't see a problem with carry-on space developing...

I used to enjoy flying. Now I detest it to the point where I avoid it any time I can get anywhere within a day's drive.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #57

OK, count me in "IN" on the "got my bag grabbed just as I was about to board".

I asked the flight attendant (yes, it caused a log jam behind me) why the boarding gate did not announce to those of us who had been lingering in the gate area for an hour or more, to check our bags. Why the SWAT team tactic?

I'm so feed up with flying.

Is there a "class action", or "civil disobedience" method to convince the airlines to hire more intelligent management.