Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

No issues using ATM card throughout UK & Europe for us as long as the ATM was in one of the supported networks identified on the card.

But, made sure to call our bank before departing US to let them know which other country(s) we'd be using it in and for what period of time our trip covered, and the bank said it was good we did call because they could have blocked the transactions otherwise.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
My daughter put her debit card in an ATM to get some euros for a cash only excursion. The machine promptly ate her card... the bank was closed... = upset daughter on phone.

Answer: Do it during business hours
lol been there, done that in Paris. luckily the American Express office was open and I was able to get some Euro's that way. wasn't cheap though.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You don't carry them all in one place!

Backup cards are not carried on your person until needed.
I even worry to leave my cards at the hotel.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I even worry to leave my cards at the hotel.
I don't worry about that in the room. Our luggage is always locked when we leave. We often have a laptop locked in our luggage. Our other stuff is discretely tucked away in various spots inside the luggage. You are far less likely to have stuff stolen from your room in Europe than you are out on the street.

Even Rick Steves has never had his stuff stolen from a hotel room in Europe.

Your other choice would be to carry your passport and all your backup cash and cards in an under the clothes type belt every day. Definitely not in your purse!

We use under the clothes carriers for documents/cards etc. when moving from location to location.

We also carry several pouches, zipper pockets, small wallets, that have lanyards, and all our clothes have loops inside pockets that these can be attached to. That's how we carry most of our cash and cards to be used for the day.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #25

I carry everything in my purse. It has a lock. Then I also put my whole arm over it. I bought some pouches for under the clothes carriers for my last trip but have not used them.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #26

I called my credit union before I left to Costa Rica but they said the ATM card might not work. When I tried at a bank ATM sporting the Cirrus and Plus network logo, sure enough, it didn't work (but didn't "eat" the card either). That card worked in Europe, no fees, and good exchange rate, so that was my go-to plan.

Given my PIN situation and memory, I ended-up using a cash advance on a credit card instead of the fake Visa debit card from BofA. The credit card (Barclaycard Arrival) nicked me for $10.50 on a $90 batch of Colones.

I noticed my "Discover IT" is offering cash advances, and for some reason I was thinking it was sans fees? I need to research that as a backup plan next time.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Always during business hours. Always at a bank/financial institution.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Many banks outsource their ATMs to 3rd parties. So when they run out of cash on Saturday night, it takes until Tuesday to get them refilled. So going Tuesday afternoon may improve your success.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #29

I've never had an issue of a card getting eaten... but we have 2 debit cards per account (DH and myself) and 2 bank accounts we can tap. Plus multiple visa cards (same thing - 2 people, 2 accounts for 4 cards). This reduces the risk.

I've had a card denied - but was able to use DH's card (same account) with no issue.

I definitely have my preferred accounts (Schwab for atm since they have bank rate exchange and refund ATM fees)... so it would suck to lose a card from a preferred account - but it wouldn't be unresolvable.

As for security... 2 people to spread the cards among - backups in the hotel. I agree with not keeping cards in purse.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We carry both the Fidelity debit card (cash management account) and the Schwab debit card overseas. DH and I have different numbers and different PINs for each card, so effectively we have backups for each account. Both cards are no foreign transaction fee when used at ATMs overseas and refund any ATM charges. The Fidelity debit card has a 1% foreign transaction fee when used at merchant, Schwab charges 0%. Both cards have chips, which means they can be used to purchase tickets, etc., from automated kiosks.

We haven't had a card eaten either, but I'm well aware that it could happen, so I'm careful about when I use it just in case.

The most trouble we've had with ATMs in Europe is running into machines with ridiculously low withdrawal limits, like €30 or €60 Euros! It's not unusual in France to have ATMs with a €300 withdrawal limit, so if we need more we both do a withdrawal. Most ATMs in Europe do not charge any fees - Barcelona was the only place I encountered fees and I had to look a little harder to find no-fee ATMs. Even though the fees would have been reimbursed, I didn't want to give those banks my business!!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #31

I never carry access or debit card to large account. I have a small account I have at Chase, where I carry my debit card. Just in case some fraudulent activity, they are not wiping out the whole amount. For credit card, I think even with fraudulent charge, I'm only responsible for $50.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I never carry access or debit card to large account. I have a small account I have at Chase, where I carry my debit card. Just in case some fraudulent activity, they are not wiping out the whole amount. For credit card, I think even with fraudulent charge, I'm only responsible for $50.
The debit/ATM cards we take overseas are separate accounts from our main checking account for the same reason.

But you are not responsible for wrong or fraudulent debit charges either - although obviously it can take longer to unwind, you are responsible for reporting problems promptly, and the interim can be painful while things are sorted out in the checking account.