Where to eat in Austin Tx

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My son-in-law will spend a week in Austin and asked me for some advice / recommendations for dinner - Mexican and BBQ. I know that city has excellent dining options, and offered to ask forum members, as the Texas contingent is here is strong. He's not sure where he will be staying so no location info within the city.

We have family in Austin and we all went to Rudy's Country Store & BBQ during a vist down there... it was very good.... they have 3 locations around Austin.

Fonda San Miguel for an incredible Mexican fine dining experience. If you're looking for TexMex, go somewhere else.

We also like Manuels - two of them, downtown and Arboretum area.

Salt Lick - slightly out of town - is a very popular BBQ destination.

There's a wholefoods market on North Lamarr. I think it is the largest in US. Right near their headquarters.
For tex mex we went pretty far for a big lunch experience. In the suburbs we went to torchys tacos, a roadside with picnic tables.
Not much in the way of suggestions, but these are well known attractions.

A lot depends on what part of town he'll be in.

Near downtown, Guero's (S. Congress) is well known for Tex-Mex. Maudie's has a couple of locations and is well regarded. I concur with a previous recommendation for Manuel's for traditional Mexican.

Lambert's (2nd St.) is great for upscale BBQ in the downtown area. Rudy's has several locations and is reliably good and authentically served (no plates, just butcher paper). Salt Lick is a unique experience but honestly not my favorite BBQ. The best BBQ is outside of Austin - several places down in Lockhart (about an hour away) are excellent.

For BBQ, the Holy Grail is Franklin's. Long lines to get in, but worth it. The guy is legendary.

Second choice would probably be La Barbecue, but it's outdoor seating as well as long lines.

I moved to the area not so long ago, so I've tried a few places. The list on this site probably won't result in a wrong turn:

The Essential Barbecue Spots in Austin - Eater Austin

The ones I tried were Terry Blacks, Stiles, and Rudy's.

Terry Blacks: Perfect amazing brisket, good sauce which you just squeeze out at the table, fairly good sides but nothing amazing

Stiles: Slightly less perfect brisket than Terry Blacks, a little bit heavier seasoning, amazing/perfect clearly homemade sauce given with meat in a sauce container, best sauce, though somewhat more expensive sides. Area isn't bad, but it isn't the best area in town. I took the unused sauce back home and used it again with another dish and it was great.

Rudy's: Disappointing, in all ways. Went because it was nearby and supposedly had OK ratings. The dining style is basically the normal one at most BBQ places, nothing special, the outdoor 3-season eating room was a bit interesting, this was the one good point. Extremely corny 1st time customer greeting, basically like having someone suddenly sing you happy birthday in a restaurant, and make you never want to go there again. Brisket was bad, not juicy, something frozen and heated in the oven would be better. Sides were ordinary, not bad though. The sauce, ugh, this is the exact opposite of Stiles. It is the worst sauce I've ever had in my life. You can use the dispenser to use as much as you like, or buy a big bottle of it, but when you look at the ingredients you realize, this is just a big bottle of HF corn syrup, which is disgusting in BBQ sauce. My parents went as well and really didn't enjoy it either.

Pappasito's is a chain, but very good when I was going a couple decades ago.

The stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp were amazing - :)

Fonda san miguel, as mentioned

taco shack, torchy's, guerros, el arroyo, enchiladas y mas (my favorite), hula hut, el chile, quality seafood - franklins if you can get in, salt lick is okay, don't go to a chain

one of my friends owns waller creek pub off 6th if you get thirsty

The main thing he needs to prepare for is paying more and getting less. Prices are crazy here.

My personal fave Mexican restaurant is Casa Chapala, near MoPac and 183. But you can't walk a block without stumbling into a Mexican or BBQ place in this town.

This won't be of much help, I'm afraid, but Austin, and Food brought back a great memory of my only trip to Austin, back in 1983.

I was national sales manager, and had a meeting with five district managers, who picked me up at the airport in a 9 passenger van... to go from there to Fort Worth, for a meeting the next day. It was late afternoon.

I was not used to Texas. Didn't know how things worked. Didn't understand that things were different.

First... as to where to eat... We ate in the Van... five large pizzas... Nunno where they came from.

Next... a very large cooler with maybe 30 cans of beer.

and then...

A terrifying ride @ 90 MPH...to FW... singing, eating, and drinking.... ALL LEGAL...
at least at the time... I don't know about today.

The question was Where to eat in Austin Tx?...

In a Van. :)

this is a good video that gives an overview of austin area bbq

Back
Top Bottom