Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that you might stay in a suburb and ride the train in--should be significant in savings, and you like trains. I grew up in a western suburb on the Burlington route and commuted in to the city all the time. Check out such suburbs as Cicero, Brookfield, Riverside, LaGrange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, etc--all an easy train ride into Union Station with multiple trains/day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're not terribly particularly, I have stayed at the Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown-Magnificent Mile. It is well located and cheap. Don't expect luxury, just a clean place to sleep. It was formerly a Days Inn and in earlier days a boutique hotel. It's been several years since I stayed here, but was very basic. My group of friends and I rented a limo from the airport to this hotel. One of my friends had stayed here before our group and recommended it.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I looked at that Red Roof Inn, and it wasn't bad. Wow, it's been a while and I do not remember how much we paid for that downtown hotel where we stayed, but most places get expensive ($200-$300) in the summer months. Stay a few miles off downtown, and the price becomes quite reasonable.

Then, I looked up the airfare. Less than $300RT from where we are. Not bad at all. With the gas-guzzling RV, $600 (for 2) in fuel cost does not even get us a one-way trip to there.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

After hours of Internet searching different properties, i found a 3 BR place on vrbo.com.
It is in an old Swedish neighborhood, Andersonville. 4 nights, with all charges, comes to $781. This includes one garaged parking space.

37 reviews are all positive, including many comments on how easy it is to take bus downtown and to Wrigley Field and how the Andersonville community is fun after a day in the city.

I feel really good about it.

Groupon was/is offering Chicago CTA 3-day passes for $9.00 each. Purchased four of those.To work in a Cubs game and a night at Second City, i had to change dates to early May. This vrbo place had very few open dates in May, so i grabbed the 4 nights today. More expensive in June...and as a retired school teacher, vacationing while kids are in school is very appealing.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

All right! A home sounds like the way to go for a family. Thumbs up.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the tip on the Groupon, I got some passes for my trip too. The apartment we're staying in has parking included and I'm just as happy parking the car and leaving it for the 4 days we're there. Especially after driving from Austin!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
After hours of Internet searching different properties, i found a 3 BR place on vrbo.com.
It is in an old Swedish neighborhood, Andersonville. 4 nights, with all charges, comes to $781. This includes one garaged parking space.

37 reviews are all positive, including many comments on how easy it is to take bus downtown and to Wrigley Field and how the Andersonville community is fun after a day in the city.

I feel really good about it.
Sounds good! We've vacationed with extended family, and a home rental worked out well for us.

My Swedish in-laws head to Andersonville to stock up on Swedish food staples (lingonberries and Limpa bread are great, potato sausage - meh, lutefisk you can keep). It will be a bit of a ride/drive to get downtown, but not too bad (Clark street bus takes you the whole way). And if you take Devon Ave from the lake and head west, there are interesting Middle Eastern neighborhoods. Or take Lawrence west to hit Korea Town.

Enjoy!

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well that was quite a change in finding a place. I never would've guessed on Andersonville! I grew up < 4 blocks from there and had an apt in Andersonville yrs ago too. You're < 1 mi from New Chinatown (Broadway/Argyle) too. If you like duck, there's only one place (that I've read) that serves Peking Duck in Chicago, Sun Wah BBQ and you need to order in advance ($35). Personally, I've only had this twice (LA and Hong Kong). Going downtown is much faster by "L" than by bus. If you're closer to Broadway, there's a stop just north of Foster. The Clark bus is mostly one lane traffic and many stop signs/lights.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #29

It was quite a turnaround....was certain we would go with two hotel rooms + cwazy parking fees.

While i had checked vrbo, apparently my search was quite cursory. Enough folks suggested vrbo, i thought it best to check again. Plus, a forum poster shared a place she had found and it looked so very nice.

Then, turns out two posters have ties to Andersonville...a place i had never heard of 48 hrs. ago.

I love this forum...so much to learn. Maybe i will write a song. ; )
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #30

We had a great Chicago trip and enjoyed the stay in Andersonville neighborhood quite a bit. Pretty, tree-lined streets, walked to Foster Beach and the Clark 22 bus took us to most other places.
Second City, Cubs game, Million Dollar Quartet at the Apollo, Art Institute and plenty of sightseeing "downtown".

Doubt we will return as there are so many places to see in this country, but the Andersonville apt was perfect fit for us. Chicago Transit Authority buses/subway made getting around easy. We never felt uneasy/threatened/murdered (my fears).

Thanks again for the advice and help.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Try Wicker Park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
There may be opportunities on airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/s/Chicago--IL

omni
Last summer I took my two adult daughters with me to Chicago for three nights. We stayed at a two bedroom condo in Wicker Park we found through airbnb and took the El downtown when we needed it. Much nicer and less expensive than a hotel, and there were no parking fees or taxes!