Join Early Retirement Today

Where to stay in Chicago?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where to stay in Chicago?

Looking for hotels that aren't outlandishly expensive. Would love to keep it near $100.00 per room, if possible? First time to Chicago since 1975.

Taking two adult children, so we need two rooms--all the more reason we need advice. I haven't started Priceline bidding, just in case somebody has the perfect place at a decent price. Expensive hotel rooms are the reason we have not made a trip to Chicago before. Family really wants to go, I'm not getting younger, so we shall do this. My suggestion was Nashville. We try to take one trip a year with these two "kids", and want to continue as long as they are willing.

So many things to do and see once we get there, but if I can find decently-priced hotel near Michigan Avenue...all the better.

Second week in May is the plan. Thanks for any input.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

It's been awhile since I looked for a hotel room in downtown Chicago. I could never find anything around $100, more like $179 ++

If you are flying, check out the hotels by ORD via Hotwire. I usually get a room in Arlington Heights/Schaumburg area for $50/night at like a Holiday Inn Express. I'm ok with driving into the city since I can get free parking and once in the city, I'm there all day.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There may be opportunities on airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/s/Chicago--IL

omni
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You could also check VRBO.com. I've got an apartment reserved in Chicago in April that sleeps 4, it's costing an average of $180 a night.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #5

Have you seen this :

Search results
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

Have been there twice, one and three years ago. First time we went with 125/night. Last time Was 175/night - Millenium Knickerbocker.

You're gonna have sticker shock. If you go cheap on hotel you might be miserable.

Need money to go to CHI.

Suggest you get a metro pass for the week. Can take that train from airport to town.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

I stayed at the Swissotel that I booked on Priceline for $140 I think it was. And that was during Lollapalooza. Its a 4 star hotel right on the river with amazing views of Lake Michigan. Couldn't have been happier.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have stayed at the Palmer House Hilton several times. Rooms are small classic/nice, but they start at $119/night (though like every place in most big cities they'll pile on taxes & fees). North end of the loop, right off Michigan Ave, near Grant Park and a few blocks from Lake Michigan. FWIW...

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ill...HHH/index.html

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you find something under $100, read the reviews carefully.

When we stay downtown, it's a little getaway for us, and we aren't really bargain hunting, so we spend much more than $100. Not saying it can't be done, but be careful.

As Midpack says, you can sometimes find a room at the Palmer house in the low $1xx, but as he says, fees piled on, small rooms and no view. Convenient downtown location though, short walk to the symphony, and beautiful lobby.

We stayed at Swissotel for a wedding last year. I know we paid much more than the $140 that utrech mentioned - he's right, beautiful place, fantastic views. It was worth it for the experience, but it'll have to be a special occasion to do it again. $50 to park the car! Heck, I asked the Concierge for directions to a place I knew how to get to, just to get my money's worth!

-ERD50
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Looking for hotels that aren't outlandishly expensive. Would love to keep it near $100.00 per room, if possible?
I would seriously doubt you can find anything that cheap in that location.

Quote:
I haven't started Priceline bidding, just in case somebody has the perfect place at a decent price.
Priceline or Kayak are probably your best bets, but I would say it's far too early now. You'd do best about a week before your trip, IMHO. At least that has been my experience in other cities.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Our 1st trip to Chicago was in early 2000. We stayed at "theWit" in downtown, which was right across the street from a Metro station, which took us to/from O'Hare. Very convenient location, as we needed no car rental for this trip, and took the buses everywhere. State Street is also a lively street with many restaurants, and within walking distance to the "Magnificent Mile".

On a 2nd visit, we got a timeshare exchange and stayed around 15-20 miles north of Chicago. We had a car, but took the train going to town. Saw different things outside the city, compared to the 1st trip.

All this makes me want to visit again,maybe as part of an RV trip this time.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Stay close to downtown and Michigan Ave, not Ohare or suburbs. It is a completely different experience. June-Aug might be even better since the city has a huge number of free events, concerts (at Pritzker Pavilion in Mill.Park, Navy Pier, Grant Park, Chicago Cultural center), famers markets, outdoor movies, etc. You should be able to find the schedules online. Lot of events are in the evening, so having a convenient hotel where you can take a break is useful.That said, as others have pointed out, the experience comes with a price. But then you save on a car and parking. Some of the hotels catering to business customers have good weekend rates. Hyatt (on Wacker dr and columbus) had $99 weekend specials a couple of years back. Good location. The block of hotels just north of Millenium Park and east of Michigan ave or near Magnificent Mile are decent location, but again come with a price tag.
Have a great time.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #13

We've stayed at several downtown hotels, the least expensive being the Sheraton just north of the river a couple blocks east of Michigan ave. nice place, great location, but probably more than $150. I don't know of any downtown hotels around $100.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I see $139 on the Hilton website for the Embassy Suites just east of Michigan Ave north of the river (near the Sheraton Ronstar mentions above). Separate bedroom, adult kids can sleep on foldout in the main room. Free full breakfast and complimentary evening cocktail hour with substantial snacks might make this worth being a little more than $100.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

Know you're looking for "in" Chicago lodging, but depending on how long you'll be staying, another possibility could be a suburbs hotel or motel, near to train station... Example... Naperville, Il... 35 minutes from downtown on the Burlington Northern RR line, with free limo service at most hotels and some motels. Brings you to Union station and taxi and Chicago Transit Authority busses.

This also avoids the incredibly high Chicago parking fees.

Early bookings can range from $60 to well under $100 in decent motels.

Also... be sure to check obgyn link.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #16

Last time I was there was April last year. Grandson was graduating Naval bootcamp. Flew up with daughter and SIL, retired Master Sargeant, USMC and we stayed on base at the Naval station in North Chicago. Great facility and free to military and retired military and guests (us). Right on Lake Michigan. Prior to that my last stay was 1970 right downtown so the prices don't equate. Just wanted to post that. After being in Florida for 25 years, I thought I was going to freeze to death. No snow but it was in the 30's and that wind off Lake Michigan was brutal.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Administrator

I have stayed at the Drake and the Westin on Michigan Avenue. Both were excellent hotels and very well located. The Drake is more traditional, the Westin more contemporary. I don't think either one would be less than $100 per night, but you should check their websites to see if there is a package special.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Know you're looking for "in" Chicago lodging, but depending on how long you'll be staying, another possibility could be a suburbs hotel or motel, near to train station... Example... Naperville, Il... 35 minutes from downtown on the Burlington Northern RR line, with free limo service at most hotels and some motels. Brings you to Union station and taxi and Chicago Transit Authority busses.

This also avoids the incredibly high Chicago parking fees.

Early bookings can range from $60 to well under $100 in decent motels.

Also... be sure to check obgyn link.
+1
Back in the day my Megacorp operated a training center near Naperville. I spent several weeks there. I am a train enthusiast and I really enjoyed riding the train to Union Station. Union Station is a sight to behold in itself (you might see the famous City of New Orleans train) and it is within walking distance of many of the other downtown attractions. I'm sure the hotels/motels are cheaper in the suburbs than in downtown.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
... I am a train enthusiast and I really enjoyed riding the train to Union Station. Union Station is a sight to behold in itself (you might see the famous City of New Orleans train) and it is within walking distance of many of the other downtown attractions.
Time for a minor thread-jack (or should I say de-railment, hah-hah?)?

Union Station is worth a look around. Some good people watching if there is a wedding or some other event going on in one of the halls.

Other than seeing a bit of history, is there anything to see with the City of New Orleans train? It looks like any other train, doesn't it? I don't know, don't think I've ever seen it (but I think the kids have taken it on visits to friends in Central/Southern IL).

The Zephyr (Silver Streak) is at the Museum of Science and Industry. Now that looks different! Great bit of history, and very interesting development. Some basics here:

Pioneer Zephyr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

Thank you and thank you for the great leads.

Checked Priceline and Tripadvisor again today. TA has lists of dates NOT to visit because of conferences where hotel prices may be higher...and plugging in dates seems to collaborate that info. We are now looking at last week in May.

Yeah, this is going to be more expensive, hotel-wise, than i enjoy. With just DH and me, not such a big deal....with the "kids", well, life is short. I can suck it up and enjoy the experience.

Thanks again for the links, prices, and leads. They are most helpful. I am always glad when i think to get advice on ER. Many smart folks on this forum...

Will post back when we have something in the bag.