Where to stay in Chicago?

ohyes

Full time employment: Posting here.
Looking for hotels that aren't outlandishly expensive. Would love to keep it near $100.00 per room, if possible? First time to Chicago since 1975.

Taking two adult children, so we need two rooms--all the more reason we need advice. I haven't started Priceline bidding, just in case somebody has the perfect place at a decent price. Expensive hotel rooms are the reason we have not made a trip to Chicago before. Family really wants to go, I'm not getting younger, so we shall do this. My suggestion was Nashville. :LOL: We try to take one trip a year with these two "kids", and want to continue as long as they are willing.

So many things to do and see once we get there, but if I can find decently-priced hotel near Michigan Avenue...all the better.

Second week in May is the plan. Thanks for any input.

It's been awhile since I looked for a hotel room in downtown Chicago. I could never find anything around $100, more like $179 ++

If you are flying, check out the hotels by ORD via Hotwire. I usually get a room in Arlington Heights/Schaumburg area for $50/night at like a Holiday Inn Express. I'm ok with driving into the city since I can get free parking and once in the city, I'm there all day.

You could also check VRBO.com. I've got an apartment reserved in Chicago in April that sleeps 4, it's costing an average of $180 a night.

Have been there twice, one and three years ago. First time we went with 125/night. Last time Was 175/night - Millenium Knickerbocker.

You're gonna have sticker shock. If you go cheap on hotel you might be miserable.

Need money to go to CHI.

Suggest you get a metro pass for the week. Can take that train from airport to town.

I stayed at the Swissotel that I booked on Priceline for $140 I think it was. And that was during Lollapalooza. Its a 4 star hotel right on the river with amazing views of Lake Michigan. Couldn't have been happier.

If you find something under $100, read the reviews carefully.

When we stay downtown, it's a little getaway for us, and we aren't really bargain hunting, so we spend much more than $100. Not saying it can't be done, but be careful.

As Midpack says, you can sometimes find a room at the Palmer house in the low $1xx, but as he says, fees piled on, small rooms and no view. Convenient downtown location though, short walk to the symphony, and beautiful lobby.

We stayed at Swissotel for a wedding last year. I know we paid much more than the $140 that utrech mentioned - he's right, beautiful place, fantastic views. It was worth it for the experience, but it'll have to be a special occasion to do it again. $50 to park the car! Heck, I asked the Concierge for directions to a place I knew how to get to, just to get my money's worth! ;)

-ERD50

Looking for hotels that aren't outlandishly expensive. Would love to keep it near $100.00 per room, if possible?

I would seriously doubt you can find anything that cheap in that location.

I haven't started Priceline bidding, just in case somebody has the perfect place at a decent price.

Priceline or Kayak are probably your best bets, but I would say it's far too early now. You'd do best about a week before your trip, IMHO. At least that has been my experience in other cities.

Our 1st trip to Chicago was in early 2000. We stayed at "theWit" in downtown, which was right across the street from a Metro station, which took us to/from O'Hare. Very convenient location, as we needed no car rental for this trip, and took the buses everywhere. State Street is also a lively street with many restaurants, and within walking distance to the "Magnificent Mile".

On a 2nd visit, we got a timeshare exchange and stayed around 15-20 miles north of Chicago. We had a car, but took the train going to town. Saw different things outside the city, compared to the 1st trip.

All this makes me want to visit again,maybe as part of an RV trip this time.

Last edited:
Stay close to downtown and Michigan Ave, not Ohare or suburbs. It is a completely different experience. June-Aug might be even better since the city has a huge number of free events, concerts (at Pritzker Pavilion in Mill.Park, Navy Pier, Grant Park, Chicago Cultural center), famers markets, outdoor movies, etc. You should be able to find the schedules online. Lot of events are in the evening, so having a convenient hotel where you can take a break is useful.That said, as others have pointed out, the experience comes with a price. But then you save on a car and parking. Some of the hotels catering to business customers have good weekend rates. Hyatt (on Wacker dr and columbus) had $99 weekend specials a couple of years back. Good location. The block of hotels just north of Millenium Park and east of Michigan ave or near Magnificent Mile are decent location, but again come with a price tag.
Have a great time.

We've stayed at several downtown hotels, the least expensive being the Sheraton just north of the river a couple blocks east of Michigan ave. nice place, great location, but probably more than $150. I don't know of any downtown hotels around $100.

I see $139 on the Hilton website for the Embassy Suites just east of Michigan Ave north of the river (near the Sheraton Ronstar mentions above). Separate bedroom, adult kids can sleep on foldout in the main room. Free full breakfast and complimentary evening cocktail hour with substantial snacks might make this worth being a little more than $100.

Last edited:
Know you're looking for "in" Chicago lodging, but depending on how long you'll be staying, another possibility could be a suburbs hotel or motel, near to train station... Example... Naperville, Il... 35 minutes from downtown on the Burlington Northern RR line, with free limo service at most hotels and some motels. Brings you to Union station and taxi and Chicago Transit Authority busses.

This also avoids the incredibly high Chicago parking fees.

Early bookings can range from $60 to well under $100 in decent motels.

Also... be sure to check obgyn link.

Last edited:
Last time I was there was April last year. Grandson was graduating Naval bootcamp. Flew up with daughter and SIL, retired Master Sargeant, USMC and we stayed on base at the Naval station in North Chicago. Great facility and free to military and retired military and guests (us). Right on Lake Michigan. Prior to that my last stay was 1970 right downtown so the prices don't equate. Just wanted to post that. After being in Florida for 25 years, I thought I was going to freeze to death. No snow but it was in the 30's and that wind off Lake Michigan was brutal.

I have stayed at the Drake and the Westin on Michigan Avenue. Both were excellent hotels and very well located. The Drake is more traditional, the Westin more contemporary. I don't think either one would be less than $100 per night, but you should check their websites to see if there is a package special.

Know you're looking for "in" Chicago lodging, but depending on how long you'll be staying, another possibility could be a suburbs hotel or motel, near to train station... Example... Naperville, Il... 35 minutes from downtown on the Burlington Northern RR line, with free limo service at most hotels and some motels. Brings you to Union station and taxi and Chicago Transit Authority busses.

This also avoids the incredibly high Chicago parking fees.

Early bookings can range from $60 to well under $100 in decent motels.

Also... be sure to check obgyn link.
+1
Back in the day my Megacorp operated a training center near Naperville. I spent several weeks there. I am a train enthusiast and I really enjoyed riding the train to Union Station. Union Station is a sight to behold in itself (you might see the famous City of New Orleans train) and it is within walking distance of many of the other downtown attractions. I'm sure the hotels/motels are cheaper in the suburbs than in downtown.

... I am a train enthusiast and I really enjoyed riding the train to Union Station. Union Station is a sight to behold in itself (you might see the famous City of New Orleans train) and it is within walking distance of many of the other downtown attractions.

Time for a minor thread-jack (or should I say de-railment, hah-hah?)?

Union Station is worth a look around. Some good people watching if there is a wedding or some other event going on in one of the halls.

Other than seeing a bit of history, is there anything to see with the City of New Orleans train? It looks like any other train, doesn't it? I don't know, don't think I've ever seen it (but I think the kids have taken it on visits to friends in Central/Southern IL).

The Zephyr (Silver Streak) is at the Museum of Science and Industry. Now that looks different! Great bit of history, and very interesting development. Some basics here:

Pioneer Zephyr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50

Thank you and thank you for the great leads.

Checked Priceline and Tripadvisor again today. TA has lists of dates NOT to visit because of conferences where hotel prices may be higher...and plugging in dates seems to collaborate that info. We are now looking at last week in May.

Yeah, this is going to be more expensive, hotel-wise, than i enjoy. :( With just DH and me, not such a big deal....with the "kids", well, life is short. I can suck it up and enjoy the experience.

Thanks again for the links, prices, and leads. They are most helpful. I am always glad when i think to get advice on ER. Many smart folks on this forum...

Will post back when we have something in the bag.

I agree that you might stay in a suburb and ride the train in--should be significant in savings, and you like trains. I grew up in a western suburb on the Burlington route and commuted in to the city all the time. Check out such suburbs as Cicero, Brookfield, Riverside, LaGrange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, etc--all an easy train ride into Union Station with multiple trains/day.

If you're not terribly particularly, I have stayed at the Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown-Magnificent Mile. It is well located and cheap. Don't expect luxury, just a clean place to sleep. It was formerly a Days Inn and in earlier days a boutique hotel. It's been several years since I stayed here, but was very basic. My group of friends and I rented a limo from the airport to this hotel. One of my friends had stayed here before our group and recommended it.

I looked at that Red Roof Inn, and it wasn't bad. Wow, it's been a while and I do not remember how much we paid for that downtown hotel where we stayed, but most places get expensive ($200-$300) in the summer months. Stay a few miles off downtown, and the price becomes quite reasonable.

Then, I looked up the airfare. Less than $300RT from where we are. Not bad at all. With the gas-guzzling RV, $600 (for 2) in fuel cost does not even get us a one-way trip to there.

Last edited:
After hours of Internet searching different properties, i found a 3 BR place on vrbo.com.
It is in an old Swedish neighborhood, Andersonville. 4 nights, with all charges, comes to $781. This includes one garaged parking space.

37 reviews are all positive, including many comments on how easy it is to take bus downtown and to Wrigley Field and how the Andersonville community is fun after a day in the city.

I feel really good about it.:)

Groupon was/is offering Chicago CTA 3-day passes for $9.00 each. Purchased four of those.To work in a Cubs game and a night at Second City, i had to change dates to early May. This vrbo place had very few open dates in May, so i grabbed the 4 nights today. More expensive in June...and as a retired school teacher, vacationing while kids are in school is very appealing. :D

Thanks again for all your help.

All right! A home sounds like the way to go for a family. Thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom