Which Country Is Best For Me?

thanks for the great link!

Well I got lost for an hour just reading his country descriptions - THEN went to his home page and read his story about why he's an expat. Unfortunately I agree with his general assessment of the state of the U.S. (though I'm not ready to leave for good). Having done a great deal of international travel in both Europe and the third world I'd say his thumbnails of countries are the most useful I have read.

Great stuff - thanks!

Uruguay

An acquaintence one told me about this country. One of the least expensive, but with a well-educatged population. Spanish is a must, but--as I've been told--if you try and are struggling--someone will chime in to help. You just have to demonstrate that you are working on it. There are lots of videos on Uruguay on YouTube, just cull the overwhelming majority about 'futbol' in this soccar-mad nation. We plan to visit Montevideo, Colonia and Puenta del Este soon, in February (which is their summer). As far as I understand, the US dollar is still welcome there. :cool:

We are just moving from 14 to 32 in quality of life (Canada to Mexico). That is the problem with statistics. I would not live in Mexico City but I would not live in Regina either. But Puerto Vallarta is like Vancouver with sunshine. The people seem to be happier there, both locals and the extensive expat community.

An acquaintence one told me about this country. One of the least expensive, but with a well-educatged population. Spanish is a must, but--as I've been told--if you try and are struggling--someone will chime in to help. You just have to demonstrate that you are working on it. There are lots of videos on Uruguay on YouTube, just cull the overwhelming majority about 'futbol' in this soccar-mad nation. We plan to visit Montevideo, Colonia and Puenta del Este soon, in February (which is their summer). As far as I understand, the US dollar is still welcome there. :cool:

It is a great place. Think of it as Argentina without the attitude. Although Punta del Este has the attitude, since most everyone there is Argentine.

I would prefer Buenos Aires to Montevideo any day, though, despite it all. So much more cosmopolitan, and such a beautiful city.

I've never been to Colonia.

Great link, Rob. THanks.

I'd love to meet this guy.

(edit: on further reading, he might be a bit of a kook, but probably a fun guy to have a beer with in any case)

Last edited:
IIRC a study showed that Montevideo was 40% cheaper than Toronto for cost of living. Punte Del Este looked good to me. The only bad weather month is August and they are at the same latitude as Capetown and Sidney

I was going to bookmark this to read later, till I saw his warning that readers might be subject to surveillance by US intelligence agencies. There are two ways of dealing with that. Don't read, or let's all read!

I was going to bookmark this to read later, till I saw his warning that readers might be subject to surveillance by US intelligence agencies. There are two ways of dealing with that. Don't read, or let's all read!

Just put on your tinfoil hat and you'll be ok..

Just read through the advice to activist/dissidents..... wow.

Better get the heavy duty foil.

These drop out of society types are a dime a dozen. Many
expatriate haven countries are realizing their worthlessness
also and raising the standards. The only reason many of them
are allowed because of their birth place they so much hate.
They have created a path so worn it is really making it much harder on other more sane and reasonable foreign folks.
Losers and scammers that couldn't handle the most common of task in life ruining it for the rest of us.
Some of these people couldn't maintain the status of trailer park
trash and now are trying to preach their self induced misery.

Just put on your tinfoil hat and you'll be ok..
If I am not on a list, I will be after I retire [i.e., financially independent].>:D

If they could see what I think, men with thick necks and white socks would be trying to garrote me.:bat:

As an old friend once told me, "The issue is not are you paranoid; it is, are you paranoid enough!"

If I am not on a list, I will be after I retire [i.e., financially independent].>:D

If they could see what I think, men with thick necks and white socks would be trying to garrote me.:bat:

As an old friend once told me, "The issue is not are you paranoid; it is, are you paranoid enough!"

Just because I'm retired the dorks better be on their toes - and not taking a break to watch the Pats on Monday night football. My old security clearances may be long long expired but I expect some watching for my taxpayer dollar.

Remember this - I was with a genuine Red Ryder BB gun watching Herb Philbrick on I led Three Lives in 1953 in case any Red Commies tryed to sneak in with the bad guys or Indians.

heh heh heh - I miss my old doughnut shop guys in LA who retired from more colorful places than I did. Remember the Sean Connery movie? - you're not paranoid if they are out to get you. Sooo - you watchers better not be goofing off! You can watch a few minutes - only if the game gets close - you have my permission.:cool:

Sooo - where's the list of countries ranked by that 'truly important metric' - how well they cover American football; both pro and college.

Sometimes the real important stuff doesn't show up in these 'places to retire' , country lists, neighborhood ratings, etc., etc.

heh heh heh - nope my sister didn't call - yet! The nervous nellies can put their tin foil hats back on - Baltimore got their attention though - until the usual finish - you can't say that's not entertainment.

Thanks for putting this on the board, robls. I surely will be going thru it carefully. Lots of great information in there. Again, thanks!

Sooo - where's the list of countries ranked by that 'truly important metric' - how well they cover American football; both pro and college.

Sometimes the real important stuff doesn't show up in these 'places to retire' , country lists, neighborhood ratings, etc., etc.

heh heh heh - nope my sister didn't call - yet! The nervous nellies can put their tin foil hats back on - Baltimore got their attention though - until the usual finish - you can't say that's not entertainment.
Right now there is good satellite TV coverage down to about Acapulco. (StarChoice)

Pretty soon, there will be Internet TV that is good enough to get anywhere there is consistent high speed service.

Bidstrup seems a reasonably smart guy. I find his writing to be very lucid and informative. His reasons for wanting to get out may seem a bit out dated now that GW bashing is considered an acceptable sport, but Bidstrup does get a lot of things right. For one, the news media in the U.S. is a joke. I got to see news about the current administration on the CBC back in 2003 that no U.S. national news even dared to hint.

Thanks for the great link.

wcv56: I agree with you to a point. I have met a lot of these 'outcasts' in my time abroad, but to say that these types are in the majority would be a stretch.

As the article pointed out, more and more people are moving abroad for retirement and lifestyle benefits and this exodus is bringing with it a lot of smart people, like the FIREd individuals here who have made the move.

On the whole, the people I have met abroad are actually quite aware of world affairs and though we all like to give our opinions I would say that most people are at least a little more open minded than the average person you will meet at home.

Moving abroad has a way of changing your values and really putting things 'back home' into perspective because you actually have something to reference it against.

just me 2 cents - take it for what it's worth. Thanks again!

What's the best country for me?

Writing as one who had to go trough a rather rigorous process to be admitted to the USA in 1965, my perspective is a bit biased. OK Highly Biased. Also I have traveled as part of my past employment to probably 25 -30 countries. Though that was many years ago.

None of the countries outside of USA have hordes of people beating down the borders to get in.

To get away from the US medias' version of world events, there are many foreign newspapers, radio broadcast, or Free satellite TV. If one makes the effort to learn at least one more language, the sources of infomation more than doubles. As an aside, Foreign newspapers are readily available in English or their native language, aint' this a great country?
"Free to Air" tv requires somewhat of a techie approach.

If one wishes a challenging view of whatever position one holds, just log onto this board. Presto, nearly as many views, as posters.
As for finding a place to live that suits climate, entertainment, crowds or solitude, high altitude to sea level, or below, USA has it all. And as ginzu knife commercials used to say, there is more. Just look around.

There is also this little thing called: freedom to speak. In most countries if one says the foul things about the president as is common here, there usually is a visit from the friendly folks of state security, take you away and adjust your attitude in no uncertain terms. Often with extreme prejudice.

I could go on and on about the rights and priviliges (spelling?) here, none of which exists anywhere else.

The Constitution is a wonderful construct. No other country has anything like it.

Lastly, nearly all of the expats I encountered in my travels were extremely addicted to the US Dollar sourced from.... drum roll please.....USA.
While I may sound like a rabid patriot, I confess, having served in the US Army From 67-70 then 11 years reserve, ultimately, I just like it here.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

His information on different countries may be good, but the specifics of his claims about how he was allegedly the subject of government surveillance are laughable. The things he described are what you might expect if your only experience with electronic and physical surveillance was what you gleamed from movies and books, if you had any real life experience you would be laughing your butt off at how ridiculous his claims are.

Somebody may have been watching him and messing with him, but it certainly wasn't the government.

Back
Top Bottom