Join Early Retirement Today

Which Country Is Best For Me?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is another website discussing the best countries to live in:

A lot of interesting articles on the website.

Enjoy.

Rob

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

thanks for the great link!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for the great link!

Well I got lost for an hour just reading his country descriptions - THEN went to his home page and read his story about why he's an expat. Unfortunately I agree with his general assessment of the state of the U.S. (though I'm not ready to leave for good). Having done a great deal of international travel in both Europe and the third world I'd say his thumbnails of countries are the most useful I have read.

Great stuff - thanks!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post

Enjoy.

Rob
Fascinating. I too liked the country descriptions. Got me thinking about where we might want to take a foreign vacation.

Thanks for posting this link.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Uruguay

An acquaintence one told me about this country. One of the least expensive, but with a well-educatged population. Spanish is a must, but--as I've been told--if you try and are struggling--someone will chime in to help. You just have to demonstrate that you are working on it. There are lots of videos on Uruguay on YouTube, just cull the overwhelming majority about 'futbol' in this soccar-mad nation. We plan to visit Montevideo, Colonia and Puenta del Este soon, in February (which is their summer). As far as I understand, the US dollar is still welcome there.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are just moving from 14 to 32 in quality of life (Canada to Mexico). That is the problem with statistics. I would not live in Mexico City but I would not live in Regina either. But Puerto Vallarta is like Vancouver with sunshine. The people seem to be happier there, both locals and the extensive expat community.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post
Enjoy.
Rob
Which country do you live in now?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
An acquaintence one told me about this country. One of the least expensive, but with a well-educatged population. Spanish is a must, but--as I've been told--if you try and are struggling--someone will chime in to help. You just have to demonstrate that you are working on it. There are lots of videos on Uruguay on YouTube, just cull the overwhelming majority about 'futbol' in this soccar-mad nation. We plan to visit Montevideo, Colonia and Puenta del Este soon, in February (which is their summer). As far as I understand, the US dollar is still welcome there.

It is a great place. Think of it as Argentina without the attitude. Although Punta del Este has the attitude, since most everyone there is Argentine.

I would prefer Buenos Aires to Montevideo any day, though, despite it all. So much more cosmopolitan, and such a beautiful city.

I've never been to Colonia.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #8

Great link, Rob. THanks.

I'd love to meet this guy.

(edit: on further reading, he might be a bit of a kook, but probably a fun guy to have a beer with in any case)
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Which country do you live in now?
U.S.A. But, researching for the move.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

IIRC a study showed that Montevideo was 40% cheaper than Toronto for cost of living. Punte Del Este looked good to me. The only bad weather month is August and they are at the same latitude as Capetown and Sidney
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was going to bookmark this to read later, till I saw his warning that readers might be subject to surveillance by US intelligence agencies. There are two ways of dealing with that. Don't read, or let's all read!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I was going to bookmark this to read later, till I saw his warning that readers might be subject to surveillance by US intelligence agencies. There are two ways of dealing with that. Don't read, or let's all read!
Just put on your tinfoil hat and you'll be ok..
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Just read through the advice to activist/dissidents..... wow.

Better get the heavy duty foil.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

These drop out of society types are a dime a dozen. Many
expatriate haven countries are realizing their worthlessness
also and raising the standards. The only reason many of them
are allowed because of their birth place they so much hate.
They have created a path so worn it is really making it much harder on other more sane and reasonable foreign folks.
Losers and scammers that couldn't handle the most common of task in life ruining it for the rest of us.
Some of these people couldn't maintain the status of trailer park
trash and now are trying to preach their self induced misery.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just put on your tinfoil hat and you'll be ok..
If I am not on a list, I will be after I retire [i.e., financially independent].

If they could see what I think, men with thick necks and white socks would be trying to garrote me.

As an old friend once told me, "The issue is not are you paranoid; it is, are you paranoid enough!"
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
If I am not on a list, I will be after I retire [i.e., financially independent].

If they could see what I think, men with thick necks and white socks would be trying to garrote me.

As an old friend once told me, "The issue is not are you paranoid; it is, are you paranoid enough!"
Just because I'm retired the dorks better be on their toes - and not taking a break to watch the Pats on Monday night football. My old security clearances may be long long expired but I expect some watching for my taxpayer dollar.

Remember this - I was with a genuine Red Ryder BB gun watching Herb Philbrick on I led Three Lives in 1953 in case any Red Commies tryed to sneak in with the bad guys or Indians.

heh heh heh - I miss my old doughnut shop guys in LA who retired from more colorful places than I did. Remember the Sean Connery movie? - you're not paranoid if they are out to get you. Sooo - you watchers better not be goofing off! You can watch a few minutes - only if the game gets close - you have my permission.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - where's the list of countries ranked by that 'truly important metric' - how well they cover American football; both pro and college.

Sometimes the real important stuff doesn't show up in these 'places to retire' , country lists, neighborhood ratings, etc., etc.

heh heh heh - nope my sister didn't call - yet! The nervous nellies can put their tin foil hats back on - Baltimore got their attention though - until the usual finish - you can't say that's not entertainment.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for putting this on the board, robls. I surely will be going thru it carefully. Lots of great information in there. Again, thanks!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sooo - where's the list of countries ranked by that 'truly important metric' - how well they cover American football; both pro and college.

Sometimes the real important stuff doesn't show up in these 'places to retire' , country lists, neighborhood ratings, etc., etc.

heh heh heh - nope my sister didn't call - yet! The nervous nellies can put their tin foil hats back on - Baltimore got their attention though - until the usual finish - you can't say that's not entertainment.
Right now there is good satellite TV coverage down to about Acapulco. (StarChoice)

Pretty soon, there will be Internet TV that is good enough to get anywhere there is consistent high speed service.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bidstrup seems a reasonably smart guy. I find his writing to be very lucid and informative. His reasons for wanting to get out may seem a bit out dated now that GW bashing is considered an acceptable sport, but Bidstrup does get a lot of things right. For one, the news media in the U.S. is a joke. I got to see news about the current administration on the CBC back in 2003 that no U.S. national news even dared to hint.