Who would want to visit Texas

FWIW only two of the photos are from Big Bend. There are a few other mountainous places as well.
How right you are. I live on one of the highest peaks in Harris County. :D

To be fair the pictures didn't show the rattlesnakes, scorpions, gators or fire ants that were there.

Last edited:
I get to West Texas frequently, but only see dead ones. I guess because they are night creatures, they only are around at night.

I've seen plenty during the day. TX state parks often have plots of them. I've seen far more in central, east and south TX than west TX.

The funniest I ever saw was a border patrol vehicle parked at a canal one morning, and the armadillo sure looked like he was trying to sneak past it. :LOL:

Last edited:
How right you are. I live on one of the highest peaks in Harris County. :D

To be fair the pictures didn't show the rattlesnakes, scorpions, gators or fire ants that were there.

that's why they call it the Heights (I used to live in 77009) - it's 80ft (or so) above sea level instead of 60ft

when I was a member at inwood forest we were always dodging the cottonmouths on 9N - also several members got west nile one year from the skeeters

We lived in Dallas for 3 years and San Antonio for 4, and we loved. If it wasn't so hot in summer, TX (Austin) would probably be at the top of our retirement relocation list. Fun culture, lots of different topographies, low COL/taxes, and critters don't bother us, kinda fun. I am also wondering how water availability will play out in the decades ahead, lots of rationing already in some regions.

Texas is a great state. Everybody should move there, ASAP.

Just don't move to Arkansas. That's the real gem of a state and I don't want it ruined before I get there.

that's why they call it the Heights (I used to live in 77009) - it's 80ft (or so) above sea level instead of 60ft

when I was a member at inwood forest we were always dodging the cottonmouths on 9N - also several members got west nile one year from the skeeters
I live further north. I'm outside the city limits on what is almost a real hill. When we moved in, DW wanted to know if we needed flood insurance. I said look down the street. Before we get water on our doorstep, every house down there will be flooded. Some will have water over their roof. This is the only house in the Houston area we haven't had flood insurance.

I live further north. I'm outside the city limits on what is almost a real hill. When we moved in, DW wanted to know if we needed flood insurance. I said look down the street. Before we get water on our doorstep, every house down there will be flooded. Some will have water over their roof. This is the only house in the Houston area we haven't had flood insurance.

Our daughter lives on top of a hill north of Houston too. It's in 77389 and is 141 ft above mean sea level. No flood insurance for her either.

Once again, Houston, fourth largest USA city, and the largest city in the southern USA, is not getting the respect it deserves. Always Dallas this, Austin that.

Once again, Houston, fourth largest USA city, and the largest city in the southern USA, is not getting the respect it deserves. Always Dallas this, Austin that.

Even though I live very close to Houston, I call it the "Great Swamp". Maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe its because it is pretty much an industrial type of town.

Even though I live very close to Houston, I call it the "Great Swamp". Maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe its because it is pretty much an industrial type of town.

So does Houston have the same relationship to the rest of Texas as Anchorage is to Alaska; Denver is to Colorado; Las Vegas is to Nevada; NYC to New York; and Chicago to Illinois? That is, a big cosmopolitan fancy city that provides a big economic engine supporting most of the State?

So does Houston have the same relationship to the rest of Texas as Anchorage is to Alaska; Denver is to Colorado; Las Vegas is to Nevada; NYC to New York; and Chicago to Illinois? That is, a big cosmopolitan fancy city that provides a big economic engine supporting most of the State?

It's got a deepwater port and the largest concentration of petrochemical plants and refineries in the U.S. (maybe the world).

Visit Texas, sure why not? Live there, not even a consideration. Although I state without question, I have nothing against Texas , except maybe the weather.

It's got a deepwater port and the largest concentration of petrochemical plants and refineries in the U.S. (maybe the world).

I think your are proving the point that Houston is in the same category as the other cities in my example, that is: When the largest city in a state is sufficiently larger than everything else in the state, the rest of the state resents that large city, and acts like it's not the real [state name here]. My experience is that most people outside of Texas don't realize how big Houston is, and like to ignore it, like in the article posted by the OP.

BTW, I'm not a Houston aficionado, just interested in geography type stuff.
As If You Needed It, Further Proof That Houston Is So Much Bigger Than Most Cities | Texas Monthly

40 years ago, Houston was crazy boom town.

Then they went through the mid 80s crash. Hurt bad.

But they revived. Houston is much more diverse now. And it has transformed into a very sophisticated cultured city - completely different from the Houston in the late 70s that I knew.

Austin was a small sleepy university city in the mid-70s, with a big hippie and music scene. Then I think space aliens took over? Whoever they are, they are very wealthy, require a lot of space, and love to clog highways.

Last edited:
Then I think space aliens took over? Whoever they are, they are very wealthy, require a lot of space, and love to clog highways.

bunch of californicators moved there and ruined it

I hate visiting Austin now, too crowded, no parking and the worst designed freeway system in the US

40 years ago, Houston was crazy boom town.
That's actually an understatement.

I was the manager of a printing plant at the time and the employee turnover was insane - frequently 20%+ per month. I had a number of employees who never returned from lunch - headhunters would approach them in the parking lot of a fast food joint with a job offer.

The most miserable 18 months of my life...

I think your are proving the point that Houston is in the same category as the other cities in my example, that is: When the largest city in a state is sufficiently larger than everything else in the state, the rest of the state resents that large city, and acts like it's not the real [state name here]. My experience is that most people outside of Texas don't realize how big Houston is, and like to ignore it, like in the article posted by the OP.

BTW, I'm not a Houston aficionado, just interested in geography type stuff.
As If You Needed It, Further Proof That Houston Is So Much Bigger Than Most Cities | Texas Monthly
I would like to offer my perspective. Yes, Houston is a really big city. But compared to New York or Los Angeles it is not. I think part of the reason Houston does not get the recognition it might deserve is you have San Antonio and Dallas-Fort Worth , all in the same state. Those cities are worthy all on their own. There is only so many resources and Houston does not require them all. You see sort of the same thing in California. San Diego is a pretty big city. Over a million people. Yet 120 miles away is Los Angeles. If Los Angeles did not exist then San Diego would become more important. Likewise if Dallas and San Antonio did not exist , Houston would become more recognized.

Houston has a lot to offer.

I don't think there is any other place in the US where you can be young, smart, hard working and make/save as much money as you can than in Houston.

It's definitely a young person's town though - no country for old men

I would like to offer my perspective. Yes, Houston is a really big city. But compared to New York or Los Angeles it is not. I think part of the reason Houston does not get the recognition it might deserve is you have San Antonio and Dallas-Fort Worth , all in the same state. Those cities are worthy all on their own. There is only so many resources and Houston does not require them all. You see sort of the same thing in California. San Diego is a pretty big city. Over a million people. Yet 120 miles away is Los Angeles. If Los Angeles did not exist then San Diego would become more important. Likewise if Dallas and San Antonio did not exist , Houston would become more recognized.

Good point, although Dallas and Fort Worth are two cities, not one. Sort of like SF and Oakland or Minneapolis and St. Paul

I hate armadillos, they are giant armored rats that root up your flower beds and destroy your yard. The only good armadillo is a dead armadillo.

Having said that, they are kinda cute for a state symbol.

Houston is the largest city to have a major inferiority complex. They take a lot of grief. Some of it deserved. It's a stinky city, kind of dirty and with no zoning, and the humidity is legendary. They hate Dallas but it really comes from that sense of inferiority. It's kinda like the same thing that exists between aggies and longhorns. I guess, sticking with that same analogy, their professional football team has never even made the Super Bowl whether it was the oilers or texans.

Ok. Duck and cover.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I hate armadillos, they are giant armored rats that root up your flower beds and destroy your yard. The only good armadillo is a dead armadillo.

Having said that, they are kinda cute for a state symbol.

Houston is the largest city to have a major inferiority complex. They take a lot of grief. Some of it deserved. It's a stinky city, kind of dirty and with no zoning, and the humidity is legendary. They hate Dallas but it really comes from that sense of inferiority. It's kinda like the same thing that exists between aggies and longhorns. I guess, sticking with that same analogy, their professional football team has never even made the Super Bowl whether it was the oilers or texans.

Ok. Duck and cover.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No need to duck and cover. What you said is quite true.
An upper case A on Aggies would have been nice though..

Back
Top Bottom