Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mostly to break up the routine. Makes home feel like home when we return.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I keep telling my wife we have a better chance of finding it if we don't take too much luggage...
The secret of life......on the road.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #23

Good question. I think a lot has to do with your personal desires. What you want to see, taste, hear, feel, or smell. I have done fair amount of work travel and have been in probably 40 or more of the continental 48 (never really counted it up). Have not left North American continent, and to be honest no real desire to have to go see a lot of the rest of the world.

Since work travel is not much time for real experience beyond airport, rental car, highways, and hotels; once I retire my goal is to do a lot more trips with my motorhome and see the USA. I like driving trips, like others have had enough of air travel. Especially now, air travel is just a flying bus. Add in the security crap and full flights, it is just not enjoyable to any extent.

I would like to visit Australia and New Zealand, and maybe UK for a great pub crawl tour. Otherwise, not much desire to go other places.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

During my 30 working years I travelled to all 50 states and 30 different countries. Wouldn't trade the experience and feel fortunate to have had that opportunity. But now, as I'm raising my children through their teens, I've pretty much lost the traveling bug. Guess I've been there, done that, and I'm still in the decompression phase of ER. Completely enjoy being home with the family for a change.

Maybe once the kids are launched I'll be ready to hit the road again. Time will tell.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #25

I'd rephrase: "Why would I not travel?" :-)

DW and I love Scuba diving and live in landlocked state. Variety of life in the south pacific and along the Wallace Divide. Sharks/Cocos. Seychelles. Fiji was great and we want more. Etc. Don't get to do enough of it now while still not retired, but planning for multiweek (month) trips multiple times a year.

Machu Picchu hiking and Galapagos. Southeast Asia. New Zealand. Appalachian Trail. Southeastern mountain hiking.

Once tired of that, many states still to see in our future RV, and there may be an Austalian Big Drive in our future.

Europe. Never been there...

None of these things are in the category (for us) of equally enjoyable second-hand.

For how long? In Laws were climbing step pyramids in their very late 70s with a pair of replacement knees. I think we can beat that.

Basically, we've been planning for travel our entire working lives, which has resulted in delaying ER to amass what most would consider to be entirely too big of a war chest. Getting closer and closer! :-)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Why? To see things, taste things, see friends, and make new ones. I've visited nearly 40 national parks in the US. At least 35 of them are stupendous with stunning and unique scenery. I hiked in a lush cloud forest in Central American and found myself face-to-face with a family of tapirs, who were even more shocked than me. I feel a sense of wonder when I walk through an old-growth redwood forest in northern California. I looked into the caldera of an active volcano in Chile and was amazed to see a sudden eruption of red-hot lava come halfway up to the rim toward me. I saw the seemingly endless dunes of the Sahara. Climbed up the narrow metal stairs on the side of the massive Sigiriya rock in Sri Lanka. I expected to be turned off by the masses of other tourists in Venice, but I was captivated by Venice's beauty instead.

I feel euphoric each time I exit the RER or Metro station in Paris after arriving at the airport, and get my first glimpse (for the umpteenth time) of that magnificent city.

There's also the feeling of accomplishment when I bike up a mountain pass. Or the sheer joy of biking along an empty road in the southwestern French countryside and entering a medieval village which has barely changed over the centuries.

I sigh with content when I drink a papaya licuado from a street vendor in Mexico, drink a beer Lao on a hot afternoon, eat a plate of mole negro in Oaxaca, eat roti for breakfast in Singapore or Malaysia, a plate of noodles in Thailand, a piece of Vollkornbrot in Germany, or a croissant aux amandes in France.

And of course, there's the joy of hugging an old friend I've haven't seen in many years.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Why? To see things, taste things, . ...

I sigh with content when I drink a papaya licuado from a street vendor in Mexico, drink a beer Lao on a hot afternoon, eat a plate of mole negro in Oaxaca, eat roti for breakfast in Singapore or Malaysia, a plate of noodles in Thailand, a piece of Vollkornbrot in Germany, or a croissant aux amandes in France.
Can't believe I left new types of food/drinks out!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

There is probably a natural progression as we go through life from wanting to explore the world (even if it's just the world outside our house, as for toddlers) to enjoying life from the porch (hence the contented retiree in the rockng chair stereotype).

Still enjoying periodic immersion into other places. Fortunately for all of us, travel is a choice.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Because I am addicted to the intense and pleasant stimulation being in new surroundings delivers. That includes new sights, new sounds, new foods, new cultures, pretty much new everything. I also deeply appreciate how travel has changed me as a human being. The more I travel, the less I realize I really know. Travel exposes you to different ways of doing things. Different. Not strange, not odd, not weird . . . just different. At heart, most human beings, regardless of where they live, what religion they practice, what language they speak, or what they look like, want pretty much the same things in this life.

I doubt I will ever get over it. At least, I hope I won't.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I travel to visit friends and relatives who live far away from me.

I really enjoy where I live. But, I also enjoy learning about other places, cultures, etc. I enjoy seeing natural wonders (small and grand) as well as human accomplishments (small, grand, beautiful and ugly). It makes me feel closer to the rest of the human race.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Last time I suggested reducing luggage she told me I could stay behind. I haven't brought the subject up again.
I have successfully convinced my DW that she can live indefinitely with what can fit in a carryon suitcase. We have migrated to travel clothes that can mostly be washed in a sink/shower and hung to dry. The biggest breakthrough was getting her to give up the purse on international travels.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #32

I think I discovered the interesting parts of travelling when I started taking short term jobs in other States. I found I liked the experience of living like a local in a new city, and getting to explore many of the available traditions/foods/drinks and to appreciate the "why" they do that.
Generally after 6 months - 1 yr. I had my fill of a place and would look for a new job location.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Most of our recent(~10 years) travel has been looking for a new home. We have targeted 4 or 5 different areas, really haven't found any place that passes our tests. Perhaps we're not doing it correctly.

One of our best trips was leaving Midwest to Mt. Rushmore, across to Badlands, Yellowstone, Vancouver WA., then up to Vancouver BC. a few days on the Gulf Islands. Wonderful trip. Enjoyed Chille Relenos in many different areas, neat to see the regional twists made to the dish.

When I was w*rking did too much international travel. Fun at first, saw a lot of interesting places, met people from all over the world. Some of the best food I ever had too.
But in the end traveling to strange places not knowing when I was going home(when the client's happy) got very old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #34

I'm hoping to relocate now that we are retired, my motivation is to move to a tax free State, as over the next 30 yrs that would amount to a lot of money !

I am in the thinking stage, but have realized when you move due to work, its simple because there is only a move to "the new place". Moving for retirement is harder due to all the possible choices.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #35

Curiosity about other people, cultures, climate, scenery, food, drink and so forth.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

So I can learn wonderful words that have no direct translation into English.

Quote:
Indonesian: Jayus - Their slang for someone who tells a joke so badly, that is so unfunny, you cannot help but laugh out loud.

11 beautifully untranslatable words from other cultures - Matador Network
Old 11-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #37

In our two long summers spent rambling around in the old bus, I had a mental game I'd often play, which I called "Bus or Couch". I would decide, at that very moment, whether I'd rather be wherever we were, jostling down some random rutted road in a bus crammed full of virtual strangers, or would I rather be home, on my comfortable couch, a glass of iced tea beside me, a book in my hand, and a cat on my lap.

It is testament to the real possibility that my brother dropping me off the top of a sliding board onto a concrete pad as a child did permanent damage that 9 times out of 10, I'd rather be on the bus.

Why travel? To live. Later, to remember.

Oh and that bill collector thing, too, Travelover.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What others have said... To see what's behind the next hill, to see who lives at the end of the road, the other side of the pond ...
Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, a very good question, right out of college, I did my first international trip, back packed though Europe for the summer before work. Enjoyed it a lot in the 70,s When I got home, got a job in the oil and gas industry - After the first month and I was off to Asia for a few months. -- go forward 30 years, I have lived/worked/vacationed in 79 different country when I retired and swore, I would never fly again. Travel has change in those 30 years. Well after 18 months enjoying retirement, got a offer for 2 years in Dubai, money was good, enjoyed my self - today, I am sitting here in Brunei, working on another 2 year contract. Why, I enjoy the people, the food, visiting old friends, visiting places that I have been before, this time enjoying the places like visiting an old friend. When I go home in 2016, the only travel will be by boat between US and Europe. I still hate flying.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the beauty of nature, especially the national parks. Travel allows me to experience this beauty throughout the US and Canada (my preferred travel areas).

Also, most of my family lives across the country so I travel to see them frequently.