Why do you travel?

Why? To see things, taste things, see friends, and make new ones. I've visited nearly 40 national parks in the US. At least 35 of them are stupendous with stunning and unique scenery. I hiked in a lush cloud forest in Central American and found myself face-to-face with a family of tapirs, who were even more shocked than me. I feel a sense of wonder when I walk through an old-growth redwood forest in northern California. I looked into the caldera of an active volcano in Chile and was amazed to see a sudden eruption of red-hot lava come halfway up to the rim toward me. I saw the seemingly endless dunes of the Sahara. Climbed up the narrow metal stairs on the side of the massive Sigiriya rock in Sri Lanka. I expected to be turned off by the masses of other tourists in Venice, but I was captivated by Venice's beauty instead.

I feel euphoric each time I exit the RER or Metro station in Paris after arriving at the airport, and get my first glimpse (for the umpteenth time) of that magnificent city.

There's also the feeling of accomplishment when I bike up a mountain pass. Or the sheer joy of biking along an empty road in the southwestern French countryside and entering a medieval village which has barely changed over the centuries.

I sigh with content when I drink a papaya licuado from a street vendor in Mexico, drink a beer Lao on a hot afternoon, eat a plate of mole negro in Oaxaca, eat roti for breakfast in Singapore or Malaysia, a plate of noodles in Thailand, a piece of Vollkornbrot in Germany, or a croissant aux amandes in France.

And of course, there's the joy of hugging an old friend I've haven't seen in many years.

Why? To see things, taste things, . ...

I sigh with content when I drink a papaya licuado from a street vendor in Mexico, drink a beer Lao on a hot afternoon, eat a plate of mole negro in Oaxaca, eat roti for breakfast in Singapore or Malaysia, a plate of noodles in Thailand, a piece of Vollkornbrot in Germany, or a croissant aux amandes in France.

Can't believe I left new types of food/drinks out! :dance:

There is probably a natural progression as we go through life from wanting to explore the world (even if it's just the world outside our house, as for toddlers) to enjoying life from the porch (hence the contented retiree in the rockng chair stereotype).

Still enjoying periodic immersion into other places. Fortunately for all of us, travel is a choice.

Because I am addicted to the intense and pleasant stimulation being in new surroundings delivers. That includes new sights, new sounds, new foods, new cultures, pretty much new everything. I also deeply appreciate how travel has changed me as a human being. The more I travel, the less I realize I really know. Travel exposes you to different ways of doing things. Different. Not strange, not odd, not weird . . . just different. At heart, most human beings, regardless of where they live, what religion they practice, what language they speak, or what they look like, want pretty much the same things in this life.

I doubt I will ever get over it. At least, I hope I won't.

I travel to visit friends and relatives who live far away from me.

I really enjoy where I live. But, I also enjoy learning about other places, cultures, etc. I enjoy seeing natural wonders (small and grand) as well as human accomplishments (small, grand, beautiful and ugly). It makes me feel closer to the rest of the human race.

Last time I suggested reducing luggage she told me I could stay behind. I haven't brought the subject up again.
I have successfully convinced my DW that she can live indefinitely with what can fit in a carryon suitcase. We have migrated to travel clothes that can mostly be washed in a sink/shower and hung to dry. The biggest breakthrough was getting her to give up the purse on international travels.

I think I discovered the interesting parts of travelling when I started taking short term jobs in other States. I found I liked the experience of living like a local in a new city, and getting to explore many of the available traditions/foods/drinks and to appreciate the "why" they do that.
Generally after 6 months - 1 yr. I had my fill of a place and would look for a new job location.

Most of our recent(~10 years) travel has been looking for a new home. We have targeted 4 or 5 different areas, really haven't found any place that passes our tests. Perhaps we're not doing it correctly.

One of our best trips was leaving Midwest to Mt. Rushmore, across to Badlands, Yellowstone, Vancouver WA., then up to Vancouver BC. a few days on the Gulf Islands. Wonderful trip. Enjoyed Chille Relenos in many different areas, neat to see the regional twists made to the dish.

When I was w*rking did too much international travel. Fun at first, saw a lot of interesting places, met people from all over the world. Some of the best food I ever had too.
But in the end traveling to strange places not knowing when I was going home(when the client's happy) got very old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm hoping to relocate now that we are retired, my motivation is to move to a tax free State, as over the next 30 yrs that would amount to a lot of money !

I am in the thinking stage, but have realized when you move due to work, its simple because there is only a move to "the new place". Moving for retirement is harder due to all the possible choices.

Curiosity about other people, cultures, climate, scenery, food, drink and so forth.

In our two long summers spent rambling around in the old bus, I had a mental game I'd often play, which I called "Bus or Couch". I would decide, at that very moment, whether I'd rather be wherever we were, jostling down some random rutted road in a bus crammed full of virtual strangers, or would I rather be home, on my comfortable couch, a glass of iced tea beside me, a book in my hand, and a cat on my lap.

It is testament to the real possibility that my brother dropping me off the top of a sliding board onto a concrete pad as a child did permanent damage that 9 times out of 10, I'd rather be on the bus.

Why travel? To live. Later, to remember.

Oh and that bill collector thing, too, Travelover.

What others have said... To see what's behind the next hill, to see who lives at the end of the road, the other side of the pond ...

Well, a very good question, right out of college, I did my first international trip, back packed though Europe for the summer before work. Enjoyed it a lot in the 70,s When I got home, got a job in the oil and gas industry - After the first month and I was off to Asia for a few months. -- go forward 30 years, I have lived/worked/vacationed in 79 different country when I retired and swore, I would never fly again. Travel has change in those 30 years. Well after 18 months enjoying retirement, got a offer for 2 years in Dubai, money was good, enjoyed my self - today, I am sitting here in Brunei, working on another 2 year contract. Why, I enjoy the people, the food, visiting old friends, visiting places that I have been before, this time enjoying the places like visiting an old friend. When I go home in 2016, the only travel will be by boat between US and Europe. I still hate flying.

I love the beauty of nature, especially the national parks. Travel allows me to experience this beauty throughout the US and Canada (my preferred travel areas).

Also, most of my family lives across the country so I travel to see them frequently.

I travel to see new sights, try new cuisines, observe people in their routines and see how similar or dissimilar they may be from the folks in my hometown. And lastly, I travel because when I return from a trip, I am so happy and appreciative of my home, my neighborhood, my city, and to hug my pets (they come with me on car trips; just not on plane).

Because I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I travel b/c:

I love outdoors.
I hate city and crowd. Need to get away from it time to time.
I am curious in nature. Want to see what's out there.

Started when I was 19 when a friend and I bought a VW van and spent the summer driving through North America. Did the same after university. DW and I sold what we had, went to Europe and travelled for six months in a van.

Now that we are retired we are still doing it, but not in a van. We do it because there are places we have not been and want to see or because we want to avoid the cold winter...or a combo of both. Now we are into slower travel. Just did 10 days in Malta and 3 weeks in Sicily. Next is eight weeks in Thailand and Malaysia. And after we visit some places, they make it back on to the top of our list...places like South Africa.

We travel tourist class, not five stars. We have the health, the time, the resources, and the inclination. So we need to do it now because we do not know what tomorrow will bring.

Each trip brings us a different perspective on many things. It is so easy to get into the attitude where how it is done at home is the best way. Just not so.

I distinguish vacations and travels. Vacation is to stay at a resort and enjoy the beaches and sun. Travel is to see the world, taste the food, and get experience. Honestly speaking, without the travel and vacation budget, our living expenses can be very low. I have been physically in 50 states (+DC and Puerto Rico), and more than 20 other countries and areas. My wife and I plan to visit all the (conveniently accessible) countries in the world before we leave this world. At least one per year now, likely to double next year, many more when we retire.

As to answer the OP's original question, travel makes us feel refreshed and recharged, after several months of boring work. We like to taste different food and have different life experience.

After 35 years on the road I'm starting to slow a bit. DW now travels with me about half the time so my burnout rate is manageable. The fact I've spent nearly 3000 nights at Hilton hotels alone is enough to reinforce my homebody future.

+1

I keep telling my wife we have a better chance of finding it if we don't take too much luggage...

My wife packs bed sheets, blankets, and different clothes for travel. I really like to go with just a backpack.

Why travel. To see and taste the rest of the world. To get out of our own bubble. There are many places, people and things to see just in our own United States. We have traveled extensively in the US and parts of Canada and people are really different in different places.

Plan to travel to Europe after DH retires. Of course we are going to do the "retirement" trip in our little 17 ft travel trailer. No time commitment. So excited to take our time and really see the rest of the us then Europe.

Well, if you are FI and have lots to spare, people expect you to travel. Why would you not do what you're told.

DW and I travel to see stuff we've read about but not seen. In some cases we've tried to figure out family history. Think graveyards.

We also travel to escape winter. If you want, you can have our house free for the sitting. Normal temperatures while we are gone are between -25F and -45F. Any takers?

Same here. Condo will sit empty.

It is cold and snowy where we live. Cannot wait for New Years Eve when we head to some warm, sunny beach weather.

Back
Top Bottom