Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
I travel to see new sights, try new cuisines, observe people in their routines and see how similar or dissimilar they may be from the folks in my hometown. And lastly, I travel because when I return from a trip, I am so happy and appreciative of my home, my neighborhood, my city, and to hug my pets (they come with me on car trips; just not on plane).

Formerly known as "Retire 2014" Due to aggressive saving and a lot of luck managed to get out at end of March 2013, hence, the name change :)
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Because I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #43
I travel b/c:

I love outdoors.
I hate city and crowd. Need to get away from it time to time.
I am curious in nature. Want to see what's out there.
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
Started when I was 19 when a friend and I bought a VW van and spent the summer driving through North America. Did the same after university. DW and I sold what we had, went to Europe and travelled for six months in a van.

Now that we are retired we are still doing it, but not in a van. We do it because there are places we have not been and want to see or because we want to avoid the cold winter...or a combo of both. Now we are into slower travel. Just did 10 days in Malta and 3 weeks in Sicily. Next is eight weeks in Thailand and Malaysia. And after we visit some places, they make it back on to the top of our list...places like South Africa.

We travel tourist class, not five stars. We have the health, the time, the resources, and the inclination. So we need to do it now because we do not know what tomorrow will bring.

Each trip brings us a different perspective on many things. It is so easy to get into the attitude where how it is done at home is the best way. Just not so.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
I distinguish vacations and travels. Vacation is to stay at a resort and enjoy the beaches and sun. Travel is to see the world, taste the food, and get experience. Honestly speaking, without the travel and vacation budget, our living expenses can be very low. I have been physically in 50 states (+DC and Puerto Rico), and more than 20 other countries and areas. My wife and I plan to visit all the (conveniently accessible) countries in the world before we leave this world. At least one per year now, likely to double next year, many more when we retire.

As to answer the OP's original question, travel makes us feel refreshed and recharged, after several months of boring work. We like to taste different food and have different life experience.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #46
After 35 years on the road I'm starting to slow a bit. DW now travels with me about half the time so my burnout rate is manageable. The fact I've spent nearly 3000 nights at Hilton hotels alone is enough to reinforce my homebody future.
"What's the worst thing that could happen - I keep my job."
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I keep telling my wife we have a better chance of finding it if we don't take too much luggage...
My wife packs bed sheets, blankets, and different clothes for travel. I really like to go with just a backpack.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
Why travel. To see and taste the rest of the world. To get out of our own bubble. There are many places, people and things to see just in our own United States. We have traveled extensively in the US and parts of Canada and people are really different in different places.

Plan to travel to Europe after DH retires. Of course we are going to do the "retirement" trip in our little 17 ft travel trailer. No time commitment. So excited to take our time and really see the rest of the us then Europe.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
Well, if you are FI and have lots to spare, people expect you to travel. Why would you not do what you're told.

DW and I travel to see stuff we've read about but not seen. In some cases we've tried to figure out family history. Think graveyards.

We also travel to escape winter. If you want, you can have our house free for the sitting. Normal temperatures while we are gone are between -25F and -45F. Any takers?
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.
Same here. Condo will sit empty.

It is cold and snowy where we live. Cannot wait for New Years Eve when we head to some warm, sunny beach weather.

brett is offline   Reply With Quote