Join Early Retirement Today

Why do you travel?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Why do you travel?

Simple question with no words of wisdom or judgement.

In the early business years, 1950's - 1970's, it was part of job as DM... about 35,000+ miles per year.
After retirement, in the 1990's, down to 15,000/yr looking for a home, and enjoying different cities, campgrounds and beaches.

Been to 43 states, Japan, Canada and Mexico, marginally speak French, German, and Esperanto. but never had the urge to go more foreign countries... and now, travel to anywhere has no interest or fascination. Enjoy (vicariously) travel by books, TV, and the adventures of friends who share pictures and events.

But, now... being home at Woodhaven, Lake Griffin Harbor and here in Central Illinois, is my ideal for a happy retirement life

And so I wonder... what makes a person leave the comfort of their home and friends, to travel thousands of miles, often to an alien culture, or at the very least, to be with people who will never be seen again. No just to foreign lands, but even in the US... to go to cities or recreation areas that are basically clones of those that are nearby their own home.

A second question for the itinerant travelers. How long do you expect to be doing this? Some of our friends who are in their 90's think nothing of taking a trip to Branson or Vegas, or even Australia and Antarctica.

An amazing world.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most of my travel is between Illinois home and Arizona condo - about 100 round trips in the last 12 years. Mostly to get away from the Illinois weather. I do enjoy travel to other places. DW wants to visit every state within the next 10 years. We should have 5 states visited by the end of the year. We also want to visit a few foreign lands. We travel because we like to explore new places and new things. I expect to do this as along as we enjoy it - see no problem doing it until we're around 80 if possible. We've got 20 years to take it all in.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Primarily to avoid bill collectors and open warrants.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started traveling on my own shortly after high school. Mostly traveled alone, coast to coast. West coast to visit friends and explore new places, east coast to go camping in the Appalachians, visit friends, explore different places, or to enjoy NYC and find little hole-in-the-wall diners & restaurants. In addition to 39 states, I've also been to Haiti, Canada, and England, but much prefer the good ol' USA!!!

My folks always loved to travel, and the always took 2 multi-week trips each year. One trip south to explore new places, sight see, and then go visit my sister in New Orleans. Then a second trip in the Fall to explore and sight see, and stop for a couple days to visit my brother in Massachusetts. They always needed up up in Maine at a tiny motel on the ocean for a week or so, just before heading back home to start planning their next adventure.

After my Dad passed away, I started taking my Mom on trips, since she still loved to travel. We would hit places that she wanted to visit, and pick places that I wanted to visit, and that has worked out very well for us both. Her and I still travel quite a bit, though we've cut back a little because she says she's been everywhere that she wanted to go to, and has seen everything that she's wanted to see, including the Grand Canyon.

Although I've traveled all over creation, I still enjoy exploring the world closer to home as well. So we do a lot more trips within a few hundred miles of home, and fewer long distance trips. Less driving time, more chillin' time!

My Dad traveled up until about a year before he passed. My Mom is still traveling at 87. And I plan to keep traveling as long as I'm able to also, because some day I'll be dead, and I'll be stuck in one place for a loooooong time!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

At last count I had visited 27 countries. My first trip abroad was at age 17, with parents. At age 28 I emigrated, partly for opportunity and partly for adventure. I have lived in 3 countries. I have travelled extensively in Canada and have visited approximately half of US states.

During my working career, most of my travel was due to work and family obligations (a big driver for migrants). These days I travel mostly for pleasure and I mix road trips with flights. I still like to see new places and experience new cultures, but I do not have a bucket list. There are many countries that I have no particular desire to visit, and there are places that I would like to return to. I am less tolerant of travel exhaustion than I used to be, and on my last major trip I broke the journey, which made it so much more pleasant. It's wonderful to have the time and money to do that. I am single and have travelled solo quite a bit. Recently I have taken several trips with friends. It is nice to have company, but it does mean compromise. There is nothing I enjoy more than a day spent exploring the cultural and historical offerings of an interesting city, people watching and enjoying street culture. I'm looking at you, Budapest!

Over time I expect to become more selective about travel. When it stops being enjoyable, I will give it up. But not yet!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

"Hey, I wonder what's over there......"

(Did have a minor epiphany about 27 years ago.......arrived in Dakar, Senegal, rented a car and headed in the direction of the border with Mali........en route it occurred to me that, if we'd've landed there I'd likely be booting it towards Dakar!)

Number of countries visited..in the mid 60s.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
... and on my last major trip I broke the journey, which made it so much more pleasant.
I don't know what that means.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Let me Google that for you:

break-journey - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online (US)
Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I hate these kind of questions... calls for too much introspection.

I suppose we travel so much because it is a habit we have had for so long that... well, mental laziness, I guess.

I suspect it will continue into our 80's.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #10

I've been to all 50 states (finally snagged Montana in 2009), and 15 other countries. Much of the travel was during my military career, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it less than my personal travel.

Other places have things to do, foods to eat, beers to drink, sights to see, and people to interact with that provide much more richness to life than I would get if I stayed in one place. Some of them are so enjoyable that I continue to go back over and over.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I'm sorry RonBoyd, I assumed that this would be a familiar phrase. See REWahoo's post.

As an example, I did not travel from home (A) to my ultimate destination (B) all at once (which would have been a 24 hour journey with three flights). Instead, I flew from A to C, rested, explored C, spent overnight and flew to B, refreshed, the next morning. I "took a break", so to speak.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
?....Other places have things to do, foods to eat, beers to drink, sights to see, and people to interact with that provide much more richness to life than I would get if I stayed in one place. Some of them are so enjoyable that I continue to go back over and over.
+1

Especially "....that provide much more richness to life...."!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let me Google that for you:
Well, I never ... but should have several times over the years.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As an example, I did not travel from home (A) to my ultimate destination (B) all at once (which would have been a 24 hour journey with three flights). Instead, I flew from A to C, rested, explored C, spent overnight and flew to B, refreshed, the next morning. I "took a break", so to speak.
Oh! Well, that describes almost all of our trips. For example, a couple years ago we booked a cruise to Central America and left Denver (driving) 2½ weeks before departure. We, despite wanting to have a week of Florida exploring, arrived in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the ship sailed. We were distracted by several things including the Natchez Trace.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's all about the beer, wine and spirits found in different parts of the country and the world. I love to try the local favorites wherever I travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Administrator

Our travels are a never ending search for transcendental enlightenment.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Our travels are a never ending search for transcendental enlightenment.
+1

I keep telling my wife we have a better chance of finding it if we don't take too much luggage...
Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #18

I am curious. That's why I travel. One of the things that attracted me to my husband was that he also enjoyed travel.

About 15 years ago I figured out "slow travel"... which is more about exploring a smaller area more in depth by staying a week or more in one location and doing day trips from that base... that suits my temperament better than the pace of most tours where you rush from city to city, changing hotels every night. This allows me to try and replicate a restaurant meal, a few days later, using local ingredients.... Since our vacation rentals always have kitchens. It also allows for more "down" time while travelling since you can always visit site x, y, or z a day later if you're in town for more than one day.

Budget has limited my travel more than desire... But I've tried to have an international trip every 3-4 years. (Travel with the whole family means 4xAirfare... so it's something I have to plan for.)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Most of my travel is between Illinois home and Arizona condo - about 100 round trips in the last 12 years. Mostly to get away from the Illinois weather. I do enjoy travel to other places. DW wants to visit every state within the next 10 years. We should have 5 states visited by the end of the year. We also want to visit a few foreign lands. We travel because we like to explore new places and new things. I expect to do this as along as we enjoy it - see no problem doing it until we're around 80 if possible. We've got 20 years to take it all in.
Wow, is that really 100 trips or a typo? Do you drive or fly, we like to snowbird as well and that route you take can involve some nasty weather unless you can go from Oct to April and it's a looong drive. For work reason we can only snowbird for 4-5 weeks max and find the weather issues when traveling a little unsettling, had a fun drive last Feb between Eagle Co and Denver!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I keep telling my wife we have a better chance of finding it if we don't take too much luggage...
Last time I suggested reducing luggage she told me I could stay behind. I haven't brought the subject up again.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote