Join Early Retirement Today

Why I love dive trips
Old 01-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why I love dive trips

Here are a few photos showing some of the reasons I love going diving, and doing it where the water is warm and underwater life is all around. I thought some people might enjoy seeing them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shark Close 1.jpg (622.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Flamingo Tongue Sticking Out.jpg (623.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Turtle Front.jpg (1,009.4 KB, 40 views)
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #2

A few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spotted Drum.jpg (770.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Gramma Basslet.jpg (1.02 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Queen Angelfish.jpg (510.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful pictures!
I am intrigued by diving, however, my claustrophobia prevents it :-)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Nice. We won't be back into the water until this summer. :-(

What dive sites (Spotted Drum, so likely Caribbean)?
Old 01-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

How do you get those gorgeous pictures? I'm a newbie at this and just bought a Canon Tough because it's very popular with the guides on my UnCruise trips. I did get some improvement after following their advice to stay still and try to catch the wildlife when they're not moving, but nothing like these- and nothing like what the guides are getting with the same camera. I just bought diving goggles with corrective lenses that fit my prescription and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner- only about $50. I'm hoping that will help on the next trip.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Beautiful pictures!
I am intrigued by diving, however, my claustrophobia prevents it :-)
Hmm, I suffer from claustrophia but thoroughly enjoy scuba diving. No caves though.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

The water was so clear! That's the first step in getting good underwater shots. Where was it? I used to find those flamingo shells (no spots, though) on the beach in Florida. I never knew what they were called (I called them 'tongue shells', though).
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
gone traveling

Not a great swimmer, so while I know it's beautiful, I'd be nervous.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Nice. We won't be back into the water until this summer. :-(

What dive sites (Spotted Drum, so likely Caribbean)?
Exuma Cays, Bahamas during a trip with All Star Liveaboards (Blackbeards, this was off the Morning Star).
Old 01-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
How do you get those gorgeous pictures? I'm a newbie at this and just bought a Canon Tough because it's very popular with the guides on my UnCruise trips. I did get some improvement after following their advice to stay still and try to catch the wildlife when they're not moving, but nothing like these- and nothing like what the guides are getting with the same camera. I just bought diving goggles with corrective lenses that fit my prescription and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner- only about $50. I'm hoping that will help on the next trip.
Step 1 - do everything at 10% of the speed you think you should, then go half that fast.
Step 2 - Get the right lighting (natural light from behind you or use your own lighting).
Step 3 - Take a bazillion pictures so you'll get at least a few that turn out pretty good!

These were shot with a Canon G7X Mk II, Fantasea housing, using a Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe on a tray (video light on the other arm, not used for any of these iirc).

Then a bunch of practice to find what settings work best in what conditions.

Biggest key is anticipating movement of the animals and taking the picture before they get there (due to the delay). I get it right at least 5% of the time now, I'm hoping with more practice that'll get better.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The water was so clear! That's the first step in getting good underwater shots. Where was it? I used to find those flamingo shells (no spots, though) on the beach in Florida. I never knew what they were called (I called them 'tongue shells', though).
Yeah, not the best vis I've seen in the Bahamas, but it was pretty good compared to many places. This was in the Exuma Cays.

The Flamingo Tongues are pretty cool, in that the "spots" are actually part of the snail's soft tissue, so sometimes you can see it coming off the shell. In this shot, you can see the body and notice that the soft tissue on it has the markings that you see on the shell:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flamingo Tongue Part out of shell.jpg (1.00 MB, 20 views)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Step 1 - do everything at 10% of the speed you think you should, then go half that fast.
Step 2 - Get the right lighting (natural light from behind you or use your own lighting).
Step 3 - Take a bazillion pictures so you'll get at least a few that turn out pretty good!

These were shot with a Canon G7X Mk II, Fantasea housing, using a Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe on a tray (video light on the other arm, not used for any of these iirc).

Then a bunch of practice to find what settings work best in what conditions.

Biggest key is anticipating movement of the animals and taking the picture before they get there (due to the delay). I get it right at least 5% of the time now, I'm hoping with more practice that'll get better.
Thanks. I'd already concluded light was a big part of it although I'm not ready to start toting supplementary light with me. The guides seemed to be more careful about selecting areas with a lot of natural light to take pictures.

And yes, volume of pictures is a big factor. I spent some time this past week going over old travel photos from the pre-digital era. So many blurry and badly-lit images and we had to pay for each one!

I'm headed to the Galapagos in March- not sure if we'll snorkel or not. I've heard the water can be cold and turbulent. What's pencilled in for 2021 is UnCruise to Belize and Guatemala. Yes, I WILL be there with my camera at every opportunity! We were in the water 4 days out of the 6 full days on the cruise in Hawaii.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Very nice. I used to do a lot of diving in the 70s but fell out of it when I took up windsurfing in the 80s. Now at 71 I have considered reengaging and taking trips with singledivers.com (DW doesn't like diving). I am heading for a snorkeling cruise in the Sea of Cortez in a couple of weeks and have a new Olympus TG-6 to take in the water with me.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I love this. I have reservations in Bonaire, after about five years without a dive. With a refresher course and daily gym workouts I hope I will be ready.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #15

Let me add to exnavynuke's list:
Step 4: get close, then get closer. You need to fill your frame not only to eliminate distracting colors and textures but to also have your strobe really light up your subject.
Step 5: get your camera at eye level or shoot slightly toward the surface.