Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
For years I've wanted to go to Cuba too! But, alas, being an American I can't go 'cause it would be p*ssing in Uncle Sam's Wheaties or some other dumb a$$ reason.

Oh, well...hopefully someday the 'powers that be' in D.C. will give their official Okie-Dokie so we can be free to travel there!
Me too! It's on my 'bucket' list!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are multiple daily flights from Miami Int'l to Havana, IF you can get a ticket.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
There are multiple daily flights from Miami Int'l to Havana, IF you can get a ticket.
Getting a flight isn't my concern. My concern is the policy of the U.S. government as described by the U.S. State Department.

Quote:
The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
Me too! It's on my 'bucket' list!
The reason that Havana and Santiago de Cuba are so attractive will disappear within 10 years of mass Yankee arrivals. Just go to Kingston or any other big Carribean city and you are looking at the Cuban post-Communism future.

So if you want it, get creative, because it will not be worth going later.

Ha
Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Of all the places I've been, I thought Jamaica was the worst. You couldn't even go for a swim without someone trying to sell you "ganja" from a canoe.

I walked into my room one evening to find a local man in my bed. He said he'd seen me on the beach and thought I might want some company. Turns out his cousin, the security guard, let him in. I had the guy fired, although I'm sure he wa re-hired the minute I left.

Several family members have been to Cuba and loved it.

My 2 favorite islands in the Caribbean are Guadeloupe and Haiti (pre-earthquake).
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The reason that Havana and Santiago de Cuba are so attractive will disappear within 10 years of mass Yankee arrivals. Just go to Kingston or any other big Carribean city and you are looking at the Cuban post-Communism future.

So if you want it, get creative, because it will not be worth going later.

Ha
Not all places with nice beaches in the Caribbean are like that. Is it the tourists or the local governance and management? Jamaica is more of a drug problem than Yankee tourism.

Clearly, Cuba will be different. Once they stop jailing people for doing things like talking with tourists without prior approval.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Jamaica is more of a drug problem than Yankee tourism.
And perhaps a 'Jamaican' problem.........some 35 years ago, in Toronto, I used to work out in the same 'Y' gym as a number of West Indians from various assorted, smaller, islands......BIG guys.....they'd talk, among themselves, about going to 'clubs', and I heard, more than once, the admonition to avoid the Jamaican hangouts, "Because those guys are crazy".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not all places with nice beaches in the Caribbean are like that. Is it the tourists or the local governance and management? Jamaica is more of a drug problem than Yankee tourism.

Clearly, Cuba will be different. Once they stop jailing people for doing things like talking with tourists without prior approval.
Well no doubt. That is why I said large Carribean cities, not Carribean resorts. IMO drugs come where there is demand, either end-user, or processing center, or trans-shipment demand. Jamaica may be a particularly bad case, but I doubt it has unique traits that make it so, or even more important that a post communist Cuba will have unique traits that will prevent this sort of evolution. Certainly prior to the revolution Cuba had no shortage of vices or organized crime. As for afterward-vamos a ver!

Ha
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I went to Nam in '68 (during the "troubles").
By the grace of God and a high enough draft number, I missed that scene. I had to take my draft physical - and passed it. Still gives me the willies.

Welcome home!

re: Cuba, I've always thought it would be interesting to go. If nothing else, I would love the beaches and the 50's era cars still running around. Got within 14 miles (close enough to see) from a cruise ship. IIRC, US STILL restricts travel there and can be aggressive about punishing those who slip in from e.g., Canadian cities. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
For years I've wanted to go to Cuba too! But, alas, being an American I can't go 'cause it would be p*ssing in Uncle Sam's Wheaties or some other dumb a$$ reason.
It would get a small minority in Florida upset with candidates. Another example of the government serving special interests at the expense of the American people.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Traveling in rural/small town Mexico was lovely back when you didn't have to worry about accidentally stumbling onto some drug lord's terrain/operation.

I would love to travel to Cuba. Maybe it will become possible in my lifetime. In the meantime there are lots of other Caribbean and Latin American countries to visit.

Thanks Koolau - I had forgotten that I had seen Cuba with my own eyes, on route to Ft. Lauderdale from Panama.

Audrey
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

One thing you can argue with is the DR has the best beaches in the world, the sand is dustlike
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander View Post
Hey, 5 years in and my very first post!
Better late than never. Welcome to the forum!

(And I appreciate your support of Mexico. It is very different than how the press NOTB portray it. Better than Jamaica for sure. Not sure about Cuba though. The nice thing about Cuba is that only brave Americans go there. In Mexico, all kinds of Americans show up. All very nice IMHO.)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #34

We're currently dog sitting.......our neighbors are in Cuba.....8th year in a row......different strokes. I guess.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have wanted to go to Cuba since I was in grade school in Florida and Cuban friends told me about the country. I am hopeful that within the next decade we Americans will be able to visit Cuba.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It seems ironic that Americans can visit Russia and China but not Cuba. There must be some strong influential politicians who benefit from the continued blockade/exception.