Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The answer is zero Lire. Italy uses the Euro.
Brainfart so I fixed it, thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Once you've seen one art museum, you've seen almost all of them.
I thank the seven that this isn't what I think of when I consider what to do next. If that were all there was to travel, then I'd stay home. So booking a bus tour isn't going to do it for me.

But if you don't do anything, nothing will happen.

It seems that, in my experience, the more pedestrian the activity, the less interesting is the experience. Start with something you'd think would be cool, and wrap a trip around it. That, as opposed to "seeing" some tourist destination (just hitting the monuments and museums to say you've been there).

Old 07-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

In our relatively short marriage, we have done almost 50 trips of one sort on another. At this point in our lives, we have no desire to go on any more group travels.
In reflecting on our travels, we felt the most enjoyable ones were we had no time constraints because we were alone.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #24

I couldn't imagine life without travel and that is the big reason why I work longer to have more funds for my FIRE. When I read folks on this forum say they can live on $20,000 a year I always think NOT with travel and to me that is sad.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me, only the following from the OP's list apply.

7. Education
10. New Experiences Give Us Moments to Remember
11. The Effects of Traveling Aren't Just Short-Term

A time will come when the hassle of travel becomes greater than the joy I get out of it. When that happens, I will have a lot of experiences and memories (and old photos to look at) to cherish.

Whether one likes to travel or not is no different than the individual tastes in food, music, clothes, etc... Why ask why someone does not like a certain food, or not listen to some music?

I do not like spectator sports, and if I am forced to watch a game it would be like torture to me (people actually spend money to watch them?). I suspect that people who dislike travel ask the same question about people who spend a lot of money to go to some places instead of just staying home.

People are strange animals, aren't we?
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Once you've seen one art museum, you've seen almost all of them. Every place has much of the same things and only a small amount of uniqueness.
Thinking back on all the museums I've visited -- even just the ones in various parts of Italy -- I can't agree with this at all. Every one of them held some uniquely interesting, precious historical artifact that fascinated me and that made me feel almost like I was a part of that history by being there, in person. I honestly don't see how others don't get that same sense of wonder and awe when standing right up next to things like a priceless historical wonder like Botticelli's Primavera or Michelangelo's David or the Sistine Chapel. Seeing these things, experiencing them, in person, is so special and fulfilling for me. Each one is different, and they each have their own story to tell and their own place in history. A VR headset experience wouldn't come close to the magic of being there in person -- for me, at least.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #27

New places. New people and friends. New challenges. And I love airplanes - go figure!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #28

We enjoy traveling but if we go without the dogs I want to be home in 2 weeks. If we take RV and dogs then I can go a month. going on a bus tour would be hell to us. We like to be in charge of our time, etc. We do like taking cruises but again we can decide when to do things. The last cruise we met so many people that take the same cruises each year that they no longer get off in port. To me I would think why not take a cruise to somewhere you have not been so you want to get off at port.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
... The last cruise we met so many people that take the same cruises each year that they no longer get off in port. To me I would think why not take a cruise to somewhere you have not been so you want to get off at port.
I have met some people like that: their entire family taking the same cruise each year.

As I said earlier, people are strange. Of course they may think I am strange in other ways.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Once you've seen one art museum, you've seen almost all of them. Every place has much of the same things and only a small amount of uniqueness. After years of traveling, there may be no uniqueness left.

I also think that with Virtual Reality devices that there is a future in "stay-at-home travel." You can have Total Recall. Or maybe you can send a younger person with VR cameras to go in your stead and get to experience what they experience in real time from your couch (avatar?). Isn't that how we all experienced landing and walking on the moon?
Sad.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #31

I used to like to travel much more when I was much younger. Especially exotic places. I am in my late 50's, and traveling over several time zones is now utterly exhausting. Experiencing the local food and observing the local people and culture, would be my main reason for traveling. I wouldn't mind trying one of those all inclusive tropical resorts for the food and the water activities.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The last cruise we met so many people that take the same cruises each year that they no longer get off in port. To me I would think why not take a cruise to somewhere you have not been so you want to get off at port.
I recently took a transatlantic cruise. I was amazed to meet several Americans who had every intention of taking a bus from the ship to the airport (Rome) to fly home. If you're there anyway, why not enjoy Italy?
Old 07-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I recently took a transatlantic cruise. I was amazed to meet several Americans who had every intention of taking a bus from the ship to the airport (Rome) to fly home. If you're there anyway, why not enjoy Italy?
+1000
Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I used to like to travel much more when I was much younger. Especially exotic places. I am in my late 50's, and traveling over several time zones is now utterly exhausting. Experiencing the local food and observing the local people and culture, would be my main reason for traveling. I wouldn't mind trying one of those all inclusive tropical resorts for the food and the water activities.
Dude, so I am I. Don't get old before your time. LIVE.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #35

I found that the large amount of air travel I did while working (both business and pleasure due to time constraints) led to me swearing off air travel. (Of course this means staying in the US and Canada, but there is a lot to see there. For major tourist attractions you can get better views without the crowds on line. For and example there is an excellent web site for St. Peters with a number of 360 views inside the church. (Also 30 views inside St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, and St Pauls outside the Walls) I saw one helicopter video over the Dumo in Florence and it showed a line waiting to get in. put again you can get some interior views.
With the capabilities of Google Earth you can tour most places and in some you can now find virtual reality re-constructions such as the Acropolis as it was in 400 BC or so.
So why put up with the lines and hassle of air travel, the time changes (which got brutal the last time I traveled to Singapore), when you can sit at home and see the same things.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I actually hope to spend longer times overseas as I get older. Some changes I see happening as I age is less moving around, no more staying in one place for a month or two.

We find Europe delightful. I think it will be a long time before we are tired of it.

Between full time RVing and other things we actually didn't fly anywhere for almost 10 years. It was a good break I guess. We had no trouble resuming air travel and don't mind it much now.

Agree with the others that I have found most museums quite unique. Nevertheless, we only do a few on our trips. Historical buildings excepted - many of those I can't resist.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I did some of that for about 10 years as I was heavily into scuba at a resort on Cayman Brac, but eventually every trip lead to a cold, and of course diving and colds don't mix.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I hate travelling, DW loves it. I get most of the listed benefits by staying put.
+1 lol

Also IMO a lot of these reasons people don't do.

#5. Detox from social media?? Plu-ezze. Here is the saddest example.
two years ago my family went to disney world. One of our "traditions" is the "it's a small world ride", lol we, for some unknown reason get great joy out of the annoyingly endless drone of the song, anyhoo in the seat ahead of me was a young girl about 6 or 7 on her first trip. we knew it because she had a button saying "first family trip". she was bouncing up and down giddy. Her mother on the other hand spent the entire ride on the phone, talking about a back to school sale. yes we could hear her as she was trying to talk over the song. totally ignoring her daughter. I go on vacation and see more folks stuck on their phones. lol, when you call them on it everyone states they need it for "emergencies".

#7 Education?? again I say "yeah right".
#8 being appreciative of family? uhmm most folks I know take their families with them on vacation. I do miss my dog though. Americans are famous for not using their vacation days so these are not month long visits. and since most folks don't unplug on holiday they don't get a chance to "appreciate" or "miss" anyone
Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Dude, so I am I. Don't get old before your time. LIVE.
Dude, I am female.

Last month, I took an hour long shuttle ride to the airport, then wait 3 hours and flew to Tokyo (a 13 hour flight), then took 3 train rides to get to my mom's house. It killed me for like 3 days with serious fatigue/jet lag. (Japan is 13 hours ahead of ET.) It took me over a week to get rid of the jet lag after I got back (probably because I no longer w*rk and I don't have to stick to any time schedule.)

Domestic and European flights should be OK. (Going to England in October.) Asia from the East Coast - not so much.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
So why put up with the lines and hassle of air travel, the time changes, when you can sit at home and see the same things.
Because you can look at all the pictures of the Grand Canyon you want, but until you are there in person you cannot truly appreciate just how "grand" it is. And that's just one example. There is a a lot more to travel than just looking at famous pictures. The sounds and smells, for one, don't translate at all. Nor will you ever make the serendipitous finds that aren't in the guidebook if you don't just go there and wander around for awhile.

For example, when we went to Venice, we saw the Piazza San Marco and the Doge's Palace, of course. But I also was fascinated by the garbage boat, the FedEx boat, the hotel linen delivery boat, and the EMT boat (among others) as they went about their business at 6:00 am. I also learned that Venetians eat a lot of frozen pizza by observing the trash that they left outside their doors for pickup every day.

Each time I travel, I learn more about the world and the people who live in it, and my life is that much the better for it. I don't expect to stop until I am physically unable to do it.