Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The part about travel that bugs me is this: I do a bunch of research so that I plan to visit everything that I might enjoy during travel. But I always discover something later (online or word of mouth) that I missed and need to go back for. In today's information packed world, how does one make sure that they don't miss anything?
Have you used TripAdvisor? I find that it points out the "must sees" yet also things that only a local may know.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Why Travel?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #82

Why Travel?

Deleted

Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The part about travel that bugs me is this: I do a bunch of research so that I plan to visit everything that I might enjoy during travel. But I always discover something later (online or word of mouth) that I missed and need to go back for. In today's information packed world, how does one make sure that they don't miss anything?
My approach to this is to try to thoroughly enjoy one or two locations, minimize in country travel and not worry if I don't see "everything". I also take a lot less photographs. Travel is for my enjoyment, not a trip where I need to report out on my travel "success". My 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have given up on seeing "everything" long ago. When visiting a place, I give myself so many days to stay. Every day, I am out and about on foot, doing as much as I can already. So, if I miss something, it's OK. People's favorite things may not be my things anyway.

By the way, this attitude is also what keeps me from having a bucket list. In contrast with people who say they have seen it all and know everything, I say that there are so many places that I have not seen, and I do not have a strict priority list. As long as I go to some new places, try some new good food, see something interesting and different, I am happy.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
...I also take a lot less photographs...
I like to take snapshots. Not real serious photography framable stuff (I am not capable of it anyway), but to help me recall and relive the moments later.

The photos also help settle some disputes with my wife (who simply does not have my "superior" memory), who says we did such there and then, and I remember differently.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. The Ignatz Semmelweis Museum in Budapest. An extraordinary painting of the Dormition of the Virgin in a small museum in Bruges. A performance of "Blithe Spirit" in Edinburgh. Those surprises make up for anything we missed.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I love to travel, but aren't able to that much at this point. But, I can certainly see where it could become problematic if there were health concerns.

We love just discovering new places, new hikes, new good restaurants, etc. Theoretically much of that an be done close to or near-ish home, but without getting a way, it is too easy to let other things get in the way.

cd :O)
Old 07-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I like to take snapshots. Not real serious photography framable stuff (I am not capable of it anyway), but to help me recall and relive the moments later.
That's us - we put together slideshows, (mainly for our own amusement), and enjoy them periodically.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. The Ignatz Semmelweis Museum in Budapest. An extraordinary painting of the Dormition of the Virgin in a small museum in Bruges. A performance of "Blithe Spirit" in Edinburgh. Those surprises make up for anything we missed.
Serendipity is us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like to take snapshots..... .
I do, too, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have boxes of slides and prints and terabits of digital photos that I will never look at.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Have you used TripAdvisor? I find that it points out the "must sees" yet also things that only a local may know.
Yep - TripAdvisor is probably my #1 source, but the things I'm missing may be in the next town over.

Quote:
My approach to this is to try to thoroughly enjoy one or two locations, minimize in country travel and not worry if I don't see "everything"....
Quote:
I have given up on seeing "everything" long ago. When visiting a place, I give myself so many days to stay. Every day, I am out and about on foot, doing as much as I can already. So, if I miss something, it's OK. People's favorite things may not be my things anyway.
I got to get the "I can't see everything mindset". I guess you'll never see everything regardless of well you plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
You can't. Heck, if you're running around with a highlighted notebook checking off your must-sees, you're doing it wrong. We do research and make some plans, but sometimes we change our minds or stumble on something we would have sought out if we'd known it was there but we're totally surprised. .... Those surprises make up for anything we missed.
I've found that the surprises end up being the best part of the trip.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I couldn't imagine life without travel and that is the big reason why I work longer to have more funds for my FIRE. When I read folks on this forum say they can live on $20,000 a year I always think NOT with travel and to me that is sad.
My ER income is $26,000 per year. Of that $10,000 is budgeted for travel. Don't feel sad for me, I've done 2 trips so far this year; and have 2 more booked and paid for before the year's end. I average 4 such trips each year. Granted, they are all domestic rather than international. But once I get tired of the domestic scene, I will reduce my trips to 2 international trips a year.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

OP, what would you consider other worthy uses of discretionary money that would rival a fun, exciting trip somewhere? Let's say it's a trip to a country you've never visited before but have always wanted to go to, and let's say it will cost $3,000. What would you consider suitable or deserving alternate uses for that money other than the trip?

I just spent $2,000 on a vinyl privacy fence across my back yard. I have been putting it off for years because of the expense. However, I could no longer take looking at the mess that is my neighbor's back yard, so in May I bit the bullet.

I LOVE my fence! It sets my hosta garden off very nicely and has rejuvenated my gardening and decorating interests.

With a travel budget of $10,000 (38% of my annual ER income), the fence was the equivalent of one travel experience. I am very pleased with the purchase and am happy I went for it.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do, too, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have boxes of slides and prints and terabits of digital photos that I will never look at.
I save my digital photos on a file server, grouped into folders listed by the date they were taken. I do not classify them by travel, family Christmas parties, or anything such. Needless to say, looking up something was tough.

Recently, I went through and made a text index file to list the folder contents. It's a simple one liner per day, such as "12/25/2005 - Xmas at Brother's", or "6/24/2016 - Grape tomato vines". That alone simplifies the search.

Your post reminded me that I still need to digitize the old prints taken before the digital camera days.

Quote:
I've found that the surprises end up being the best part of the trip.
As all people, I had quite a few surprises in our travel, recently with the RV trips. Can't say that they are the best part of the trips, but as we survive them and even have some photos of the occasions, it is something to reminisce about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
I just spent $2,000 on a vinyl privacy fence across my back yard. I have been putting it off for years because of the expense. However, I could no longer take looking at the mess that is my neighbor's back yard, so in May I bit the bullet...
Just took delivery of $10K worth of Trex boards for my deck (I provide my own sweat equity for this deck repair). This is in addition to another $8K unexpected expense earlier (not on the home). So, may put aside the fall trip to Europe that I entertained the idea of a month or so ago. Already made a long RV trip early in spring, then a week in Mexico in May, so am not without travel this year.

Too many non-recurring expenses that just take turns recurring hampers one's travel.

PS. My south-facing deck is currently under full sun. At high elevation (thin and clear air), the sun ray will burn you to a crisp, even if the temperature is cool. So, taking midday break, and go back out to do some more work when the sun is lower.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I think that most of the objections to travel come from the fact that, for the most part, everyone is doing it wrong.

Our modern concept of 'travel' is to attempt to cram weeks of sightseeing into one 10-day period. We fly for several hours, we land, we check in, we run around all over the place until we're exhausted, then we fly home and go back to work exhausted. It's the most expensive and tiring way to travel.

Five years ago we spent seven months in a pop-up camper and saw most of the national parks and a lot of family and friends. It was fairly economical and not stressful in any way. After that we spent many weeks in Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. We also spent a few years in Mexico. It's a really great way to travel. Experiences galore.
I agree that people often try to do too much, and that more time is better. However, if you only have your vacation time to work with there is only so much you can do. The average visit to Yellowstone is 1.5 days. When I went, I spent 8 days, and did not nearly see everything. I wouldn't have missed it though. After I RE next year I can slow down more.

Quote:
I sympathize, Ron. I too do a lot of planning. One thing I try to do is work in some unscheduled time for things I discover on the fly or to make up for bad weather days. Besides, there is nothing wrong with going back again some time. If you have a standard of perfection you will never be satisfied. Didn't we still have a great trip to that place we went?

Below from the Grand Canyon, North Rim - Bright Angel Point, and Toroweap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1870.jpg (833.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2000.jpg (929.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Because you can look at all the pictures of the Grand Canyon you want, but until you are there in person you cannot truly appreciate just how "grand" it is. And that's just one example. There is a a lot more to travel than just looking at famous pictures. The sounds and smells, for one, don't translate at all. Nor will you ever make the serendipitous finds that aren't in the guidebook if you don't just go there and wander around for awhile.
I agree with this. Experiencing a place is so much more than looking at pictures or video of the most famous spots. The weather, the smells, the people, the currency, the food, the drinks, the way they drive, the way they speak, the altitude, the differences in manners and ettiquete, the transportation options, the accomodations, the list goes on...
Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Would it be the same difference as eating good food and just watching FoodTV?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You'll always miss something. If it's really important, go back some time.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Would it be the same difference as eating good food and just watching FoodTV?
Good one!

Why spend all the €€€ and time to go to Europe when you can watch episodes of Rick Steves instead?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

It did not work. I watch Rick Steves, and that strengthens the urge to go.

And I developed an interest in food and started cooking 15 years ago when I watched Food TV.