Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I'm just curious for those of you who travel more than a couple months out of the year, where is your permanent residence? Do you travel in part because of the weather where you live? Do you get bored in the city you normally reside?

Most of the people we know take vacations but in our offline word life I can't think of anyone I know who travels a big part of the year, unless it is part of their job or to visit family.
We full timed in an RV for five years with no permanent residence, and rarely stayed any one place for a month. It was just one long rolling travel adventure which we thoroughly enjoyed. Then we decided that it was time to do more traveling overseas. We'd seen so much of North America including Canada and Mexico in the first 10 years of retirement that it wasn't such a priority anymore.

We don't travel as much each year, since there are quite a few things DH likes to do where we live. But I'm slowly ratcheting it up again. We do big Europe trips where we have family to visit as well as just enjoying exploring many areas we haven't been. I'm hoping we'll start adding Central and South America to our explorations soon.

Not weather related even though summers here are incredibly hot.

Some of our travel is family motivated.

We've just always enjoyed travel. Some people are nomads b nature.

I don't think any location would have enough going on to keep us there year round.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
. The tag along relative felt we were "wasting our time" by not seeing everything possible given that we'd paid airfare to get to the location.

?

Since when is relaxing at a café watching the world go by waste of time?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
?

Since when is relaxing at a café watching the world go by waste of time?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sure - but I know plenty of people with the other mentality.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I'm just curious for those of you who travel more than a couple months out of the year, where is your permanent residence? Do you travel in part because of the weather where you live? Do you get bored in the city you normally reside?
For us, we travel in the summer because of the kids' school schedule. But it's also nice to get away from the crazy summer heat and humidity here in North Carolina. It's tolerable for a few hours in the morning but that's about it.

So we end up going to places with nice summer weather. That means 70's and low humidity, which has translated to central highland areas of Mexico and Ontario and Quebec provinces in Canada (leaving for Canada tomorrow! ).
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used to invite a relative along on our travels, but DW and I like to sight see for a set number of hours, then just kick back and relax. The tag along relative felt we were "wasting our time" by not seeing everything possible given that we'd paid airfare to get to the location.

Now we travel alone.
That's a good point. We often "invite" others to tag along with us (so far no one has joined us) but figure it would be a bust since most folks seem stuck in the rush rush rush 1 week gottadoitall "vacation" mentality. I'm okay missing a few things if I only have a week somewhere.

We always plan on plenty of "do nothing" days where we tend to sit around, prop our feet up (maybe on the balcony with a view), read a book, or take an afternoon siesta. Maybe we go out for a bite or to do some shopping, but we don't go out sightseeing on our do nothing days.

I understand how our lack of intensity and focus could be seen as a failure by others.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That's a good point. We often "invite" others to tag along with us (so far no one has joined us) but figure it would be a bust since most folks seem stuck in the rush rush rush 1 week gottadoitall "vacation" mentality. I'm okay missing a few things if I only have a week somewhere.

We always plan on plenty of "do nothing" days where we tend to sit around, prop our feet up (maybe on the balcony with a view), read a book, or take an afternoon siesta. Maybe we go out for a bite or to do some shopping, but we don't go out sightseeing on our do nothing days.

I understand how our lack of intensity and focus could be seen as a failure by others.
We're traveling with another couple on our next trip. They texted me a few days ago, asking me for my list of must see's and must do's. They are making their list. The plan is to meet to discuss the merger of our lists and come up with an itinerary. This is going to be brutal.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I do, too, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have boxes of slides and prints and terabits of digital photos that I will never look at.
For the digital ones, you could get one of those electronic picture frames, put a few thousand photos on a memory card and hang it in your house, the picture will change every so often and everyday you pass it repeatedly you will see and recall some nice trip.

Then change the photos on the memory card in a few months and repeat.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I save my digital photos on a file server, grouped into folders listed by the date they were taken. I do not classify them by travel, family Christmas parties, or anything such. Needless to say, looking up something was tough.

Recently, I went through and made a text index file to list the folder contents. It's a simple one liner per day, such as "12/25/2005 - Xmas at Brother's", or "6/24/2016 - Grape tomato vines". That alone simplifies the search......
I save mine in the following format, a directory of the year, then a subdirectory of each "trip/event" with the date in YMD format (it makes it sort correctly) and the name of the "trip/event".

I eliminate spaces in the naming by using underscore, not really needed but makes it easier if I use command line actions on the files

- 2016_Pictures
- 2016_07_13_Lizzadro_Museum_Lapidary_Art
- 2016_07_05_Chicago_Botanical_Garden
- 2016_04_13_Trip_to_Florida

Sometimes I have found, I wondered when did we go to FL in 2005 , so I look at my photos and the date is right there.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For the digital ones, you could get one of those electronic picture frames, put a few thousand photos on a memory card and hang it in your house, the picture will change every so often and everyday you pass it repeatedly you will see and recall some nice trip.

Then change the photos on the memory card in a few months and repeat.
My whole library cycles on my iMac as screensaver. Wary of those picture frames, which have been known to spy. Why you have to connect them to the Internet I'll never know.

If the next Apple TV supports 4K TVs then they may be a great way to run slide shows or screen savers of your library.

Otherwise I'll probably get the 5k iMac eventually.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:43 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We're traveling with another couple on our next trip. They texted me a few days ago, asking me for my list of must see's and must do's. They are making their list. The plan is to meet to discuss the merger of our lists and come up with an itinerary. This is going to be brutal.
For the most part, I do not want to travel with other couples. I am pretty particular about what I want to see and do, which DW and I find easy agreement on, including when to rest. Throwing others into the mix just does not work for me. We went on a cruise with her siblings for the first time this year. I just went off to do my own thing and they did theirs.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
My whole library cycles on my iMac as screensaver. Wary of those picture frames, which have been known to spy. Why you have to connect them to the Internet I'll never know.
I have one of those picture frames in the family room with a couple thousand travel photos on it. I love seeing memories every time I walk by.

No internet connection. I just download the photos to an SD card and stick it in the frame.

This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/NIX-Advance-D...n%3A9647492011
Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #132

I want high dpi and big screen.

There's definitely a difference between my iMac and Retina MacBook Pro when cycling through the same pics in the Ken Burns screensaver, which slightly zooms in or crops so you really want maximal sharpness.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wary of those picture frames, which have been known to spy. Why you have to connect them to the Internet I'll never know.
I agree that one should be very wary of the IOT - Internet of Things. Often security on the 'things' is poor if it is present at all. They can open huge holes in an otherwise secure system at home or at work.

That said, there are good reasons for having them connected to the Internet. One person I knew would take photos of the grandkids and then upload them to the picture frame for grandma and grandpa who lived many thousands of miles away. The grandparents were always excited when new photos popped up.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

One reason people (American people that is) do rush about on vacation is the very small amount of vacation time we get. Remember that jerk in the Cadillac commercial who had a big house, nice car and probably traveled the world at company expense? Alas, to many of us work for people like him.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One reason people (American people that is) do rush about on vacation is the very small amount of vacation time we get. Remember that jerk in the Cadillac commercial who had a big house, nice car and probably traveled the world at company expense? Alas, to many of us work for people like him.
Good point. It does seem like most of the people I know try to do more things on vacation than they do at home.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I understand when someone is working with limited vacation time, why they would want to squeeze every last thing into an overseas trip.

But once you've retired.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good point. It does seem like most of the people I know try to do more things on vacation than they do at home.
Actually, I do way more things in a day when traveling, then I do at home. But that doesn't mean I don't take plenty of down time when traveling. Just a lot less than at home.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
but I first started wanting to go to Europe when I was a kid and Dad went on business. It killed me that a group of my HS classmates went on a camping trip to Europe one summer and I couldn't go; I was babysitting but couldn't make enough to pay for it, and my parents were saving to put the 5 of us through college so a special trip for one kid wasn't in their budget, either. I joke that I've spent the rest of my life making up for it!
Funny story. We sent our daughter to Europe for High School credit courses. French in Nice and History in UK. She loved it. Sorry we didn't send her to Switzerland for her senior year at Neuschatel ( sp?). She still talks about these trips 15 years later. She really grew up on those trips.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We sent our daughter to Europe for High School credit courses.
Kudos to you! Best thing you could have done, paying dividends forever!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For the digital ones, you could get one of those electronic picture frames...........
Thanks. I actually have received two of those digital picture frames as gifts, but don't like using them. They just seem kind of creepy - endlessly displaying pictures that have a lot of emotion associated with them. I guess I need to be in the mood to look at old pictures.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

OK, so what really makes people travel?

People who dislike travel can add the following to the list in the OP

1) They are bored at home

2) They do not know what else to spend their money on

3) They want to escape the miserable weather at home, whether too hot, too cold, too humid, or too dry

4) They are masochistic, and want to punish themselves with the hassle of going through the airport security and the tedium of air travel

5) They are thrill seekers, and want to go to other places in the world where they can get robbed, possibly assaulted and hurt

Is there anything I miss?