Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, so what really makes people travel?

People who dislike travel can add the following to the list in the OP

1) They are bored at home

2) They do not know what else to spend their money on

3) They want to escape the miserable weather at home, whether too hot, too cold, too humid, or too dry

4) They are masochistic, and want to punish themselves with the hassle of going through the airport security and the tedium of air travel

5) They are thrill seekers, and want to go to other places in the world where they can get robbed, possibly assaulted and hurt

Is there anything I miss?
6) They want to visit family

7) They want to visit interesting places they have read about, or seen in movies or on the news

8) They are pursuing a special interest, e.g. skiing, Italian cooking, seeing wild animals, archaeology, volunteering, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
7) They want to visit interesting places they have read about.
This sums it up for me.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
OK, so what really makes people travel?

People who dislike travel can add the following to the list in the OP

1) They are bored at home

2) They do not know what else to spend their money on

3) They want to escape the miserable weather at home, whether too hot, too cold, too humid, or too dry

4) They are masochistic, and want to punish themselves with the hassle of going through the airport security and the tedium of air travel

5) They are thrill seekers, and want to go to other places in the world where they can get robbed, possibly assaulted and hurt

Is there anything I miss?
Friends offer you free timeshare stays.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #144

Quote:

7) They want to visit interesting places they have read about, or seen in movies or on the news

8) They are pursuing a special interest, e.g. skiing, Italian cooking, seeing wild animals, archaeology, volunteering, etc.
Definitely want to visit places I've read about, mainly to satisfy hiking, sightseeing, and photography interests.

I've run out interesting places around here to hike and take photos, so I have to travel to find new ones.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We've countered this by amassing various perks that reduce the hassles of flying dramatically - things like TSA Pre-check and Global Entry, economy plus and/or cheap upgrades when available, club access for layovers in comfort, premium lines and premium baggage handling for reducing waiting significantly.

I don't mind the hours in a plane considering the benefits when we arrive. The magic of iPad - a great plane companion.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
6) They want to visit family

These are excellent additions - and really the only ones that count for us.

We really enjoy being in a different culture for a while. We enjoy the European culture and all the little day to day details of different types of meals, different transportation, different things to see. I'll be curious whether South and Central American culture will be the same.

We even enjoy dealing in another language. I speak pretty good Castillian Spanish, good for most of Latin America and Spain. I've really been working on my French - I'm already well past where I was last year with my tourist polite French arsenal that was quite well received wherever we traveled in France.

So maybe:

9) immerse in a different environment/culture for a while.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #147

Quote:
Add running to that. I try to do a destination race every year.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent much of my professional life running through airports, and have seen all of the lower 48, and much of eastern Canada and western Europe. I would be happy to never leave Florida again. Nowadays I travel to see people, not sights.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #149

Why stay home looking a four walls?

Travelled for business, now we travel for pleasure. As often as possible. Lots to see and experience.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #150
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
I spent much of my professional life running through airports, and have seen all of the lower 48, and much of eastern Canada and western Europe. I would be happy to never leave Florida again. Nowadays I travel to see people, not sights.
Business travel is not really travel. I did a substantial amount of it. In the end, I felt that every airport, every cab to and from the city, every hotel, every law firm conference room and every courthouse looked the same. It was just a source of annoyance rather than a chance to have new experiences. I did my work in the least amount of time I could and went back home as soon as possible. When I travel for pleasure, the experience is totally different.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Business travel is not really travel. I did a substantial amount of it. In the end, I felt that every airport, every cab to and from the city, every hotel, every law firm conference room and every courthouse looked the same. It was just a source of annoyance rather than a chance to have new experiences. I did my work in the least amount of time I could and went back home as soon as possible. When I travel for pleasure, the experience is totally different.

I can't say that. I tried to make a point of seeing the places I went on business, and I tended to be in one place for days a a time. Due to the nature of my business, I spent a lot of time on college campuses, which were generally lovely. But this is one case where I agree with Jacob of ERE. Wherever you go, there you are.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1
My last 2 trips for business totally sucked. The first was to Detroit in the middle of winter. The proposals i carried had new binders, and the plastic outgassed, setting off alarms. I was patted down 3 times on that trip.
The second was a red eye to Montreal, where i had a meeting then went back to the airport. I ordered a lobster sandwich for lunch, and since the receipt was in French, they did not know what I had
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Kudos to you! Best thing you could have done, paying dividends forever!
While not quite the same thing, I took my daughter to Europe with me last year for a few weeks. It was an eye opener for her also. The evenings out on the busy streets with people enjoying themselves were particularly fun. Also, we spent some time in France and a lot of time in Italy, and she is now spoiled when it comes to good food
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #154

Travel has changed the way we think, the way we eat, the way we live.

All for the better. And it makes us appreciate what we have and at the same time realize that many of the material things we own really don't matter a toss.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #155

Quote:

I definitely had some experiences like that. When you're in a windowless "ballroom" in the basement of a hotel with someone droning over PowerPoint presentations, does it really matter if it's Boston or San Juan? Well, maybe it's more depressing if it's San Juan.

Still, I've been fortunate. As a salaried employee (thus not focused on billable time), I've been to lovely restaurants in Europe, to the Taj Mahal with colleagues in India who were also visiting for the first time, to Munich on a trip that was so much fun (even though we accomplished the business purpose) I told my boss I felt guilty submitting an expense account...I could go on. I also got a kick out of getting up, putting on business clothes and going to the office on public transportation with the locals. My favorite was working for a company based in the Gherkin in London- the tourists would be outside taking selfies and I'd flounce past them into the building!

I still get little twinges of jealousy when former colleagues post from London or Bangalore or Zurich, but then I remember they have to set their alarm clocks and I don't.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Funny story. We sent our daughter to Europe for High School credit courses. French in Nice and History in UK. She loved it. Sorry we didn't send her to Switzerland for her senior year at Neuschatel ( sp?). She still talks about these trips 15 years later. She really grew up on those trips.
I got a summer job with the Defense Research Board in Metz after 3rd year Engineering. 5 months of pleasure: Belgium, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and multiple trips to Paris and Strasburg. Life-changing experiences. Plus permanently stricken with the travel bug.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Travel has changed the way we think, the way we eat, the way we live.

All for the better. And it makes us appreciate what we have and at the same time realize that many of the material things we own really don't matter a toss.
+1
Never will think the same way again. It made us much more tolerant of things that are different.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

This thread made me think of a great line I heard from a German I was talking with.

He said "Do you know the essential difference between Europeans and North Americans?"

North Americans think 200 years is a long time.

Europeans think 200 kilometers is a long distance.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #159

The only business travel that I enjoyed were the reward trips, with spouse, to domestic and to some wonderful international locations....Hong Kong, Australia, Med locations, Hawaii, etc. All first class venues that we would normally not enjoy.

Of course there was always the challenge of sneaking out of those business meeting during the morning coffee break or getting up early and leaving the hotel in order to tour around. I could usually rely on someone to mark me down as present or hand in my business card! We invariably tacked on a week or so of vacation time while we were there.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
?

Since when is relaxing at a café watching the world go by waste of time?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In Italy it was my favorite part of the day. And the Italians agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum